Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2023 Corolla GR Price Reveals!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is a brief summary of nuclear energy and the role it can/should play in the modernization of our grid(s). Summarized from many, many scientific sources (all cited), with the input of experts in the field. Intentionally made easily digestible with nice voiceover and fun images:

Taken from a different, "might is right" kind of view: If you are actively against giving your country an excuse to create raw materials that could be used to bolster its nuclear arsenal, you are dumb as hell and weak of conviction. The only country that shouldn't be using nuclear power is anywhere but here

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Here is a brief summary of nuclear energy and the role it can/should play in the modernization of our grid(s). Summarized from many, many scientific sources (all cited), with the input of experts in the field. Intentionally made easily digestible with nice voiceover and fun images:

Taken from a different, "might is right" kind of view: If you are actively against giving your country an excuse to create raw materials that could be used to bolster its nuclear arsenal, you are dumb as hell and weak of conviction. The only country that shouldn't be using nuclear power is anywhere but here
    UK, France, Israel, our allies, are strategically placed with their own warheads.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    Haha, I was going to say your carbureted 72 Scamp probably smells rich even after it warms up. Old school muscle cars do have that distinct smell don't they. Those old cars were heavy and they required a lot of power/torque to get them moving which meant lots of fuel! Emissions controls were still very primitive back then.
    Even if mine were to be idling lean, it would still smell rich because it has no emissions whatsoever.

Isn't the diesel engine more efficient than the gasoline engine?
    Quite. Especially my older one that doesn't have to burn extra fuel to burn up DPF crap.

7,100 pound vehicle, that's over 3 Mirages my good man!
    Yes. It is quite hefty. If it makes you feel any better. There's at least one large pickup truck driver (me), that drives slowly and carefully because he has a healthy respect for the damage that massive Ram can do.

Diesels are still the best solution for heavy trucking today but it appears the transition to electric and zero tailpipe emissions is already underway. I guess emissions defeat devices will become a thing of the past.
    It could be, that electric trucks may be a better fit for EVs than are small personal use EVs. Because of: HOS. Hours of Service. A driver is limited to 11 hours driving, within 14 hours. Then by law they have to shutdown and take 10 hours off. These 10 hours are a good time to charge. Yet, batteries and charging will still have to come a long way or they'll be hauling around 70,000 pounds of truck and batteries, and 10,000 pounds of cargo. I still think we're a good 20 or 30 years from EV trucks being effective. At least following today's regulations.

Let me clarify. I don't think it will be 20 or 30 years before we see EV commercial trucks. But I think it would be 20 or 30 years before EV trucks would NOT be a PITA. Diesel trucks shall remain more effective for quite some time IMO.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your an engineer 7miles. A learned man. Surely, you can see the viability of nuclear reactors powering our planet. The energy demands of 10 billion people won't be satiated with only fossil fuels anymore, in 80 or so years. Nuclear, fossil fuels, wind, solar, it'll be all hands on deck to keep the human crazy train going.
    I think nuclear is WONDERFUL. I just don't think we're mature enough with it (yet) to yield it safely. My opinion. My analogy is like this. A pistol is a WONDERFUL means of self defense, but should not be put in the hands of infants and/or toddlers. And that's where we are with our understanding of nuclear fission. Nuclear fusion? Even better. But we haven't figure that out yet.

That video is wonderful, cute and informative, but mother nature doesn't give 2 shi1s about that video.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I think nuclear is WONDERFUL. I just don't think we're mature enough with it (yet) to yield it safely. My opinion. My analogy is like this. A pistol is a WONDERFUL means of self defense, but should not be put in the hands of infants and/or toddlers. And that's where we are with our understanding of nuclear fission. Nuclear fusion? Even better. But we haven't figure that out yet.

That video is wonderful, cute and informative, but mother nature doesn't give 2 shi1s about that video.
    I don't know that it'll get any better. People get dumber every day, I see it first hand at work and on the road.

I'm a scared of nuclear too, but I blame my fear on ignorance and what I heard about past disasters. And the simpsons.

Once Elon starts planting people on Mars we won't have to worry as much about screwing up this place too much lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know that it'll get any better. People get dumber every day, I see it first hand at work and on the road.
    They done been smoking too much of that wacky weed.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 09-28-2022 at 07:08 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    They done been smoking too much of that wacky weed.
    Edit: work dirtbags probably read this. Must hang onto job for one more year lol

Last edited by Fummins; 09-28-2022 at 07:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-28-2022)