Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Corolla GR Price Reveals!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    Well guess I'll keep it going...

With the right equipment, you can capture free electricity from the sun and store it in a home battery. Then later, use it to charge your EV or sell it back to the grid for some passive income. I love this concept and would like to implement it into my dream home someday. You don't have to fully rely on "dirty coal" electricity. There's levels to this mang.

I also love that an EV does not emit poisonous/cancerous gasses into the nearby air I'm breathing. I experience this all the time with my dad's cars. He's got a 98 Toyota Sienna and a 91 Nissan Maxima and boy do those things stink when cold-started! I mean they smell noxious and obnoxious! I suspect wornout cats or those things just really need to heat up to start working (i hate to admit it but the Mirage smells the same when cold-started). But with an EV, all that is eliminated!

Easy peasy!
    Sounds like your dad should learn how to do tune ups on older cars, or pay someone else to do it. If they smell that bad at start up, something needs repaired. There were emission standards in 91 and 98 that were met when new.

If you only knew my friend. Unfortunately, my dad's not a car enthusiast and cars are low on his priority list.

Even well maintained new and old cars smell from a cold-start. That's just normal ICE operation until optimal temperatures are reached. Once the engine and the cats heat up, then does the smell taper down.

Some restored old cars smell too, likely because they only had primitive emissions controls at best. Most probably have none since technically they're not even required to. And why should they, they are a niche.

Don't even get me started on the smell of diesel exhaust! Yuck, I can smell those fumes from a mile away!

Personally, I would prefer to live without noxious fumes from any form of internal combustion. Eventually my fleet will become electric and my "fuel" will come from the sun.

Not gonna lie though, I wouldn't mind keeping a hobby ICE car, or cars, for nostalgia and for driving enjoyment. I will always be a car guy. I empathize with Jay Leno on this subject.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 09-15-2022 at 07:01 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    This is easy.. We make financing easier to get, make the terms longer so the payments are lower & upsell
    It's actually getting more expensive to borrow money. The Federal Reserve has been aggressively increasing interest rates in hopes of cooling down inflation and drive down demand.

Cars, houses, are becoming more expensive to finance. But if you've got cash, prices are going to come down which represents buying opportunities for a select few!

More job losses are suppose to happen during this time too. Buckle up folks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Cheap hybrids will probably end up what happens in the 20 years IMO. I'm impressed with that $20k Ford Maverick hybrid. I think it's the best thing they've made since the Ford Probe.
    I'm in 100% agreement with you on that as well!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    boy do those things stink when cold-started! I mean they smell noxious and obnoxious!
    You sure wouldn't want to be around my 1972 Plymouth Scamp ... at ANY time. I think it smells GREAT. And, it is tuned as well as an old-school carbureted gas engine can get. Meaning, when warm it hits and runs in and all around stoich as much as I could tune it to do that. So it pollutes minimally for what it is. But it has 0 emissions. And ... it MUST crank rich when cold, or it ain't a runnin'.

And, I do have a Cummins diesel. You may take note, the Cummins diesels do have a stinky smell. But for whatever reason, the early 2000s to maybe 2008 or so PowerStroke diesels smell THE WORST. Mine has a bit of a smell, I won't lie. But not like the PowerStrokes. And, for a 7,100 pound vehicle, it get's EXCELLENT mpg. Much better than if I swapped a gas V8 or even the optional V10 it could have come with. So, stink or not, at least the Cummins engines are better for the environment than was the gas engine alternatives it could have came with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    What happened to their Hydrogen technology? Nuclear power is the future, nothing else can compete with it and burn clean.
    Arc reactor.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How many centuries and future generations are going to have to protect like pit-bulls, our nuclear waste? 20 centuries? Longer?

Here's a little blurb I just found.

High-level nuclear waste consists largely of spent fuel from nuclear reactors. Though it makes up a small proportion of overall waste volumes, it accounts for the majority of radioactivity. This most potent form of nuclear waste, according to some, needs to be safely stored for up to a million years. Yes, 1 million years – in other words, a far longer stretch of time than the period since Neanderthals cropped up. This is an estimate of the length of time needed to ensure radioactive decay.
    YEAH ... I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT! Let's nuclear waste it up, so the next million years of people will realize just how smart us current day people are.

In reality, until we know something better to do with nuclear waste than to just create a target with it, I think we should leave it alone. Our intelligence with nuclear (power) is too immature.

7milesout

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    How many centuries and future generations are going to have to protect like pit-bulls, our nuclear waste? 20 centuries? Longer?

Here's a little blurb I just found.

YEAH ... I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT! Let's nuclear waste it up, so the next million years of people will realize just how smart us current day people are.

In reality, until we know something better to do with nuclear waste than to just create a target with it, I think we should leave it alone. Our intelligence with nuclear (power) is too immature.

7milesout
    7miles, I'm shocked you believe in Neanderthals, I assumed you thought the earth was only 6k years old lol. I kid.

Jettisoning it out into space is also on the table for dealing with nuclear waste but burying it deep in the ground has caused no issues that I've read of. We should be more concerned about the next 100 years, years that your great grandchildren will be living in. Human beings will not be around in a million years, you're giving us way too much credit my friend.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We're 3 seconds into our understanding of nuclear. You can't jettison it with our current capabilities, because sooner or later we'll pull a Space Shuttle Challenger with a big load of nuclear waste and wind up radiating maybe the whole damn planet (who knows).

I think nuclear is FABULOUS. I just don't think we're mature enough with it to be yielding it. There's too much we don't know. What is it we don't know? I don't know. But anyone who thinks we've figured it all out are the type of idiot who doesn't need to be in charge of it (or anything).

The Japanese are considered the smartest, most meticulous planners and do the highest quality design and work. And Fukushima was blown off the line like 'The Fridge' playing football with a 1st grader. Man is not up to yielding it ... yet. Not even close.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    We're 3 seconds into our understanding of nuclear. You can't jettison it with our current capabilities, because sooner or later we'll pull a Space Shuttle Challenger with a big load of nuclear waste and wind up radiating maybe the whole damn planet (who knows).

I think nuclear is FABULOUS. I just don't think we're mature enough with it to be yielding it. There's too much we don't know. What is it we don't know? I don't know. But anyone who thinks we've figured it all out are the type of idiot who doesn't need to be in charge of it (or anything).

The Japanese are considered the smartest, most meticulous planners and do the highest quality design and work. And Fukushima was blown off the line like 'The Fridge' playing football with a 1st grader. Man is not up to yielding it ... yet. Not even close.
    Fukushima, Cherylnoble, 7mile Island all disasters but what of the other 99% of the time, when reactors have been powering countries for decades, like France, like America. Look at Chernobyl today, it's flourishing with flora and fauna albeit with.....minor variation in their DNA. There's bears living in the abandoned apartment buildings lol and Fukushima and 7mile didn't even come close to the disaster of Chernobyl with the amount out radiation released into the atmosphere.