Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto stop and go question

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I prefer my manual stop & go feature on my Mirage. If I am stopped for a train or a drive through (restaurant, bank, or whatever), I just turn the car off. When it's time to take off, I start it quick & go. It really works quite slick.

I drive my parents' vehicle with Auto Stop & Go, & it's just annoying. It doesn't even really do what I would want to do in a real life situation sometimes either. For example, if I stop a bit early at an intersection or the car in front of moves foward a bit. If I move the vehicle a bit, it starts again & just keeps running forever. It's really quite lame in my opinion. Their GM vehicle doesn't allow you to turn it off either.

I tend to stop early & move forward slowly. For my style of driving, it's a worthless feature that just adds wear & tear on the starter. I tend to dislike lots of things that are associated with the term "auto". I want to be the driver of the vehicle, & not some stupid computer chip. What some of you embrace, I really hate! I must be OLD!!!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I drive my parents' vehicle with Auto Stop & Go, & it's just annoying. It doesn't even really do what I would want to do in a real life situation sometimes either. For example, if I stop a bit early at an intersection or the car in front of moves foward a bit. If I move the vehicle a bit, it starts again & just keeps running forever. It's really quite lame in my opinion. Their GM vehicle doesn't allow you to turn it off either.
    A hybrid vehicle would probably do what you want as it would do the low speed driving with the electric motor.

If they let you turn it off i believe it would lower the EPA numbers. isnt that why the mirage doesnt have auto stop and go in USA. Someone on this forum was talking about an invention to force you to skip gears on a manual below certain speeds to fudge the EPA numbers.
    Last edited by mohammad; 09-09-2022 at 02:43 AM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    You can probably just cut the wires to the hood sensor so the car thinks the hoods always open and never shuts off the engine. For anyone wondering this is a feature so if you go to open the hood for any reason and work on the car, the engine won't start and take your arm off by surprise. it suppose to start the engine as you open the hood so you are immediately aware the engine is on and running before you stick your arm(s) into it.
    I use my eyes & ears (primarily) as a substitute for this sensor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    how does the starter work on this model?is it like a regular starter? ive only seen this feature on scooter where they eliminated the bendix drive and rewire the stator to became a starter if supplied with voltage, is it the same? on scooter the starting is so smooth its like turning on a electric motor no starter sound.
    allrock - I know what you're describing. It's called an ACG (AC Generator) starter, and it is applied to a lot of scooters and gas golf carts. On the Honda PCX (and maybe others), Honda has gone a step further such that when the engine is shut off, the crank/piston is backed up to be in an optimal position for this starting mechanism. I think it is because even though this system is super-quiet, and super smooth, it is not the most powerful starter. So the position the crank/piston is placed is either just after compression, or shortly after compression so that the starting mechanism can get a "running start" at the compression cycle, making it as easy as possible to start the bike up.

Honda made a video of this. I can't find it, I think my work blocks it. I'm sure some variation of this is possible on bigger engines like our massive 3-Tapper. Sure would be better than the way our starter sounds. I think the Mirage starter sound just has a loud, cheap, worn-out sound to it. Not a big deal, but a quieter smoother one would be cool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I prefer my manual stop & go feature on my Mirage. If I am stopped for a train or a drive through (restaurant, bank, or whatever), I just turn the car off. When it's time to take off, I start it quick & go. It really works quite slick.
    Yeah, but you've got to be paying attention for this to work, not staring at tictock on your smartphone.

I try to never creep up at traffic lights, when I'm behind other cars. If they move up 10 to 50 feet, so what. If they move up a long way, I'll comply. Every little move like that requires extra fuel and extra clutch wear. Only if I'm sitting on a downhill slope will I let it coast forward, but still keep a large gap to the vehicle in front, so I can dart left or right if need be.

I tend to stop early & move forward slowly. For my style of driving, it's a worthless feature that just adds wear & tear on the starter. I tend to dislike lots of things that are associated with the term "auto". I want to be the driver of the vehicle, & not some stupid computer chip. What some of you embrace, I really hate! I must be OLD!!!!
    Me too. I don't like auto anything. The worst is auto wipers. I KNOW WHEN IT'S RAINING. The application for rain sensors is not applied correctly. The rain sensors should only be active when a car is parked. It could sense rain and ensure all windows and sunroofs are closed. But no, they'd rather annoy real drivers with them.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    say you stop at a traffic light for a minute ... does the car get warm because the A.C. compressor stops turning? If not, there's some difference in how the A.C. compressor is driven.
    Yes and no. Yes, the A/C stops turning when the engine stops. But no, as long as the A/C is running, the AS&G won't stop the engine. Worse, when my automatic A/C decides it's getting too warm inside, the engine is started.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I use my eyes & ears (primarily) as a substitute for this sensor.
    The engine Turning on as you open the hood gives your eyes and ears the opportunity to be aware that the car is in the run/ON position. Otherwise the engine would be stationary and silent and may start at any time.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Also is the 1.0 still available in Netherlands or elsewhere? I don't see it on Mitsubishis website there.
    No, all models are 1.2 71hp over here, since the 2021 model, I believe.

In my garage entry I had a small discussion about it with Dirk in its comments section https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...(Garage-entry)