Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto stop and go question

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Auto stop and go question

I wish we could get AS&G and the 1.0 here in the US. But how does the AS&G work? Is it an ETACs setting? Is the engine, computer, or transmission any different or all three? Does AS&G also work on the manual tranny?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    France
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    ........ Does AS&G also work on the manual tranny?
    AS&G works both on manual and CVT. It is activated all time. You should turn it off when you do not want to use it. Personally, I never use it and it is very annoying to turn it off every time that I use my car. In 2020, 2021 models the button placed near to the cup holders beside USB port. AS&G is may be good but it also means that you should buy more expensive AS&G compatible battery when you change the car battery

Have a nice day.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    For CVT vehicles Auto Stop and Go has a different transmission. The Auto stop and go CVT has an electric CVT fluid pump presumably to run while the car is off to maintain CVT fluid pressure and allow the car to more quickly begin moving after the engine restarts.

I believe the alternator and battery are different. I also believe they have regenerative braking but the forum hasn't come to a consensus on that.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-08-2022),spacestar67 (09-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I suspect there are quite a few differences, like those listed above. No way it would be an ETACs only thing. I also wonder, with the AS&G active, when coming to a stop, and say you stop at a traffic light for a minute ... does the car get warm because the A.C. compressor stops turning? If not, there's some difference in how the A.C. compressor is driven.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay so still a bit murky. Definitely a transmission, alternator, and battery are different. Is the engine the same? Are there settings in ETACs on non auto stop start vehicles relating to this setting? Has anyone on the forum ever seen this regenerative brakes when taking their wheels off? Lol a bit of a mystery for something that has been around for 10 years.

Also is the 1.0 still available in Netherlands or elsewhere? I don't see it on Mitsubishis website there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spacestar67 View Post
    ...Personally, I never use it and it is very annoying to turn it off every time that I use my car.
    There are devices available (in the US) that you can plug in to permanently disable this feature.
    As usual...Mitsubishi is not one of the brands supported yet.

Here's an old thread from 2013...

Details of the Auto Stop and Go on a Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

spacestar67 (09-09-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I also wonder, with the AS&G active, when coming to a stop, and say you stop at a traffic light for a minute ... does the car get warm because the A.C. compressor stops turning? If not, there's some difference in how the A.C. compressor is driven.
    That is correct the car should get warm. As mentioned in the post top fuel linked above "AS&G will not function if The airco system is busy cooling the inside of the car. (Climate Control). or The inside of the car is heated. (Climate Control)."

Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Has anyone on the forum ever seen this regenerative brakes when taking their wheels off? Lol a bit of a mystery for something that has been around for 10 years.

Regen braking is not related to the brakes, it is where you run the alternator harder while braking to produce more electricity for FREE(naturally running the alternator harder will slow the car down more). I asked a forum member Foama who thinks he has the feature and understands how it works to see if he could maybe measure battery voltage so i could compare and see if we have it in north america. I dont think we do, but if he or anyone ever gets back to me ill be sure to post results on the forum.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    There are devices available (in the US) that you can plug in to permanently disable this feature.
    As usual...Mitsubishi is not one of the brands supported yet.

Here's an old thread from 2013...

Details of the Auto Stop and Go on a Mirage
    You can probably just cut the wires to the hood sensor so the car thinks the hoods always open and never shuts off the engine. For anyone wondering this is a feature so if you go to open the hood for any reason and work on the car, the engine won't start and take your arm off by surprise. it suppose to start the engine as you open the hood so you are immediately aware the engine is on and running before you stick your arm(s) into it.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    how does the starter work on this model?is it like a regular starter? ive only seen this feature on scooter where they eliminated the bendix drive and rewire the stator to became a starter if supplied with voltage, is it the same? on scooter the starting is so smooth its like turning on a electric motor no starter sound.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    how does the starter work on this model?is it like a regular starter? ive only seen this feature on scooter where they eliminated the bendix drive and rewire the stator to became a starter if supplied with voltage, is it the same? on scooter the starting is so smooth its like turning on a electric motor no starter sound.
    What your describing is more of a mild hybrid system like in BMW's where the starter motor is built into the alternator. like this: https://www.bmwpartsdeal.com/parts/b...317622372.html

the mirage is only auto stop and go, it is not a mild hybrid.

If it was a mild hybrid then you'd see mitsubishi advertising it, it would make the car noticeably faster. They normally involve a higher voltage/larger battery system.

Spinning the starter all the time like you mentioned would of course be inefficient.