Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mitsubishi shares up 84%

I've always heard the stereotype of teachers not being a well paid career. Shame really, they're at the front lines of education going through the mud.

Glad to hear the good news! They knew if they didn't bend to the workers needs, the economy would've continued on a downhill trend. This will avoid a lot of pain and the rail workers will get what they're entitled to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    I've always heard the stereotype of teachers not being a well paid career. Shame really, they're at the front lines of education going through the mud.

Glad to hear the good news! They knew if they didn't bend to the workers needs, the economy would've continued on a downhill trend. This will avoid a lot of pain and the rail workers will get what they're entitled to.
    Our local school district is desperate for teachers. I had a conversation with an administrator this summer. They have reached the point where they will hire people from other countries & help them pay for their VISA to be here. They are also considering teachers who only have high school diplomas. It's that bad. Good subs are even harder to find these days.

I was emailed twice last school year by our local high school principal asking if I would return to teach science. The 2nd request from them - I would have replaced a guy who was fired for selling pot to kids at school. I declined, but I know the individual who did replaced him. He's ten years older than me, & I was his assistant principal at the same high school during the years of 2002-04. He did the final quarter of last year for them. 30+ years of teaching under his belt, and 9 years of school administration. According to him, things are horrible.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Our local school district is desperate for teachers. I had a conversation with an administrator this summer. They have reached the point where they will hire people from other countries & help them pay for their VISA to be here. They are also considering teachers who only have high school diplomas. It's that bad. Good subs are even harder to find these days.

I was emailed twice last school year by our local high school principal asking if I would return to teach science. The 2nd request from them - I would have replaced a guy who was fired for selling pot to kids at school. I declined, but I know the individual who did replaced him. He's ten years older than me, & I was his assistant principal at the same high school during the years of 2002-04. He did the final quarter of last year for them. 30+ years of teaching under his belt, and 9 years of school administration. According to him, things are horrible.
    It'd be nice if educators were treated with more respect. I guess shaping future minds isn't a priority anymore for state governments. My Aunt was a teacher in North Jersey for 25 years and retired in 2005. Back in the 80s though, she was able to afford a mortgage and qualify for one. She never married, everything was hers. She told me that's just not possible anymore with current pay structures. I believe her.

My wife is on sabbatical from teaching full time and only working part time right now for an elementary school afternoon program. I keep telling her don't go back to teaching highschoolers. Teach Night School at our local university instead. Old people and immigrants are the best students. Welcome back, Kotter style.