Thread: 2015 mirage manual transmission

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Exclamation 2015 mirage manual transmission

Hello all, have a question about my manual transmission, so with the car off I can switch gears without the clutch, and with the car on, when I press in the clutch and try too switch gears it's very hard and makes a grinding noise when going into gear, and just pressing the clutch down makes a whining noise, but if I half press the clutch down, the noise goes away and it goes into gear fine, the fluid is good in it also. Any ideas to what is going on. Thank you

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    If I understand you right, the clutch works when the pedal is partly pressed, but does not when fully pressed.

The clutch pedal pulls a cable that pulls a lever. The lever located on top of the transmission. The cable needs to be adjusted properly in order for the clutch to operate. If the clutch cable was adjusted grossly overly tight, it will function as you describe.
    That is correct, would this also cause the whining noise also, the cable was not adjusted,it started doing this while driving the other day, could this still be the problem that it just need adjusted. Thank you for the help

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    If I understand you right, the clutch works when the pedal is partly pressed, but does not when fully pressed.

The clutch pedal pulls a cable that pulls a lever. The lever located on top of the transmission. The cable needs to be adjusted properly in order for the clutch to operate. If the clutch cable was adjusted grossly overly tight, it will misfunction exactly as you describe. The grinding noise would be damage in progress!
    If you push the clutch pedal with a finger, you should notice a free play of about 12mm or half an inch.
    If the free play is out of range, the adjustment nut at the transmission end of the cable needs adjustment. You need to pull at the clutch cable to be able to turn the adjustment nut.
    The clutch pedal height (rubber of the pedal measured to the floor) should have a value of 313.2 - 318.2 mm = 12.33 - 12.53 in
    See FSM (factory service manual) section 21A-3 for details.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok so after adjusting this, it seemed to work the gears were fine and noise went away, drove around the block and it's doing it again. Could it be a bad cable ?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcof88 View Post
    Ok so after adjusting this, it seemed to work the gears were fine and noise went away, drove around the block and it's doing it again. Could it be a bad cable ?
    What you describe is not normal. Recheck the adjustment again to see if it is 100% OK. Get a FSM and read section 21A. There might be a link to it somewhere in this forum.
    If the cable is bad (snapped) it can not operate the clutch at all.
    Speculation: If somebody rode the clutch, that is if they mostly kept their foot on the pedal while driving instead of resting it on the block towards the left of the pedal, the insides of the clutch could be Fuxxed up. It think at this stage you probably need professional help, but check the FSM.
    Last edited by foama; 09-09-2022 at 06:27 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-09-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Jcof88 - I'm guessing whoever you bought it from had just broke the clutch cable and replaced it and did not get the cable play correct. From what I hear, the clutch cables seems prone to snap on cars about the age of yours.

Makes me wonder if they replaced it with the correct cable. Follow foama's advice. More adjustment may work it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate all of your help.