Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mirage ES Whining

Country
    United States
    Thanks

2014 Mirage ES Whining

I've taken my car to a few local mechanics and had a few belts replaced, but non seem to be able to fix my issue. These problems have been present since I bought the car in Jan 2019. I'm hoping a collection of mirage enthusiasts like yourselves will know something they do not, and to learn more about my car in the process.

My car, a 2014 Mirage ES, 4dr Hatchback 5M, squeals/whines seemingly at random but there is a pattern (More Below). It can almost be described a a warble, like a bird, but a really annoying and ugly bird. I also experience a jerking motion during some accelerations, from light bumping to violent head bobbing.

The whining varies in volume depending on the temperatures outside, the weather, rpm, and if the A/C is off or on.

The whining is most present on hot days, dry days, and cold humid days (not cold rainy days, yes on hot rainy days)
    Turning the A/C on makes it louder, or on days when the whining is not present it makes it present
    It is present when idling (loud), and the volume scales between 1000(whine) and 2000(squeals) rpm (1500 to 2500 with the AC on) getting louder with higher rpm
    It stops at rpms over 2000 (2500 with the AC on)
    If I put the car in park it gets quieter
    On days with low to no whine, I experience the jerking issues mentioned above. Can't think of a day I have had both issues at once.

It comes from the engine compartment, I have heard it with the hood open and the car idling. Front brakes are brand new.

I will try to record audio if I can today.

Edit: I ordered the belt 6pk1240 today, and will install it as soon as I can. Until then, here is a video I took of the engine while idling in park with the AC on.
    https://youtu.be/ajsyqWKDI9M
    Thank you all for your help! I'll update yall if it fixes it or not, hopefully soon.

Edit: I replaced the belt with the 6pk1240 and so far I have had better performance and no squealing, on the two drives I have taken since. I compared the old and new belts and they appear to be the same size and they both have six ribs, so I'm not sure what the issue with the last belt was. I have a new rattling noise that was either not there or was masked, sounds exactly like Fummins' engine down below. I couldn't "tune" the belt (I am tone-deaf) but I followed the 45-degree rule. I guess the mechanics around here are just using ****ty belts? Lmao

Last edited by Nifty_Biscuit; 09-22-2022 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Update

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Try the instructions in this post https://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/4028 and see if that helps... Let us know from here & we'll get you dialed in...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-10-2022),Nifty_Biscuit (09-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty_Biscuit View Post
    I've taken my car to a few local mechanics and had a few belts replaced, but non seem to be able to fix my issue. These problems have been present since I bought the car in Jan 2019. I'm hoping a collection of mirage enthusiasts like yourselves will know something they do not, and to learn more about my car in the process.

My car, a 2014 Mirage ES, 4dr Hatchback 5M, squeals/whines seemingly at random but there is a pattern (More Below). It can almost be described a a warble, like a bird, but a really annoying and ugly bird. I also experience a jerking motion during some accelerations, from light bumping to violent head bobbing.

The whining varies in volume depending on the temperatures outside, the weather, rpm, and if the A/C is off or on.

The whining is most present on hot days, dry days, and cold humid days (not cold rainy days, yes on hot rainy days)
    Turning the A/C on makes it louder, or on days when the whining is not present it makes it present
    It is present when idling (loud), and the volume scales between 1000(whine) and 2000(squeals) rpm (1500 to 2500 with the AC on) getting louder with higher rpm
    It stops at rpms over 2000 (2500 with the AC on)
    If I put the car in park it gets quieter
    On days with low to no whine, I experience the jerking issues mentioned above. Can't think of a day I have had both issues at once.

It comes from the engine compartment, I have heard it with the hood open and the car idling. Front brakes are brand new.

I will try to record audio if I can today.
    I just figured out an annoying noise on my car. Turned out it’s the exhaust. The joint at the front of the cat I believe. https://youtu.be/_RA8EBNI0H4

Don’t forget to like and subscribe and notifications or something lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-10-2022),Nifty_Biscuit (09-22-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The AC is on when defrost is on, just to help narrow it down. Belt tension is worth a check first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just figured out an annoying noise on my car. Turned out it’s the exhaust. The joint at the front of the cat I believe.
    Did you discover a fix for the rattle? After fixing my belt I now have the exact same noise coming from my car!

Yup. It was the joint where the Catalytic converter bolts to the exhaust manifold. I removed the bolts, gobbed the exhaust gasket with a little bit of copperish brake lube and bolted it back together. Quiet as a mouse now. I swore it was a pulley or belt but nope.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

daleWV (09-22-2022),inuvik (09-22-2022),Nifty_Biscuit (09-22-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    If you ever suspect it is the belt making the noise just take a bar of soap and touch it to the belt when the car is running. Of course, be very careful when doing this.

If the squeak stops, you know it's the belt. If it doesn't, keep looking. As a bonus, your engine compartment will smell fresh and clean for a few minutes. Learned that one from my dad!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Nifty_Biscuit (09-28-2022)

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Don't forget those exhaust flange gasket donuts. There's should be 2 around the first cat to manifold, and then cat to exhaust piping. Mine were toast by around 95k. They're expensive for what they are and hard to find in stock so hopefully you'll get lucky like I did on finding them new on ebay if needed. They turned out to be what my "belt noise" was. I even had a mechanic call it a noise from the crankshaft pulley.. Nope. Now it's quiet as can be for a car with 0 cats and an aftermarket muffler(plus a modded airbox)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also experience a jerking motion during some accelerations, from light bumping to violent head bobbing.

So it's been almost a month with no issues, until a trip with myself and gf on a $300 shopping trip to Sam's club I had the aforementioned jerking on acceleration issue.

I am really hoping this isn't a sign of transmission issues, as the car is at ~88k miles (144K km) and I have no way of knowing if any service was done. See this post.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    So it's been almost a month with no issues, until a trip with myself and gf on a $300 shopping trip to Sam's club I had the aforementioned jerking on acceleration issue.

I am really hoping this isn't a sign of transmission issues, as the car is at ~88k miles (144K km) and I have no way of knowing if any service was done. See this post.
    The most likely answer is that no service has been done.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)