Thread: Daox mail slot block fell off

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Post Daox mail slot block fell off

After having it installed for about a year the middle section of my mail slot block fell off, Im not exactly sure where or when it did so.

Consider this as a warning other people who have these Daox mail slot blocks, you should probably glue the sections together so you dont end up like me. It would have been nice if they came with a hinge and pin design between the sections to hold them together from the start.

Name:  IMG_3119.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  87.1 KB

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    What is a "Doax mail slot block?"
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, they are made of PLA. In summer, the radiator heat will soften the plastic to the point of distorting them so they don't hold on anymore. Originally, I designed it in winter and it simply wasn't a problem. It was never really designed to be used in summer and I believe I did warn people of this in a thread back then. If ambient temps are roughly around 45F+ you risk damaging them.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-14-2022),Fummins (09-14-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Yeah, they are made of PLA. In summer, the radiator heat will soften the plastic to the point of distorting them so they don't hold on anymore. Originally, I designed it in winter and it simply wasn't a problem. It was never really designed to be used in summer and I believe I did warn people of this in a thread back then. If ambient temps are roughly around 45F+ you risk damaging them.
    I'm still waiting for the newly designed "Mirage Nutz" project Doax. What gives?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-15-2022)

How dare you go out of your way to design, build, then sell something, explain its limitations then don’t offer a full refund when it’s misused. I’m offended.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-15-2022),mohammad (09-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My 1959 SAAB GT-750 Rally sedan had a window shade in front and a pull chain inside to block airflow during cold Swedish winters. Worked well. Forgetting to retract it when jacket temp reached 180°F would fry the middle piston. I know this....personally.
    Karl

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-15-2022),Fummins (09-16-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How dare you go out of your way to design, build, then sell something, explain its limitations then don’t offer a full refund when it’s misused. I’m offended.
    I think some of the issue is that the 3 segments are not linked together in any way. There could have been a hinge and pin between the segments or something.

Also the clip that mounts the thing to the car is poorly designed it should not have had a sloped clip that made it very easy to pull off. the clip should have had a 90 degree bend behind it to actually clip into the vertical plastic bar in the upper cover.

maybe i should just ask the guy who wanted to 3d print metal if he can print me a metal mail slot block.
    Last edited by mohammad; 09-15-2022 at 12:59 PM.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Please go through the research and development of an improved design, including prototype testing, then expend your capital to produce them and market them to a small select community of Mirage enthusiasts. But also remember we won't pay much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-16-2022),Fummins (09-16-2022),mohammad (09-16-2022)