Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 975 miles: Mirage or LS 460L...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Agreed on the rostra comparison. I hated the Rostra cruise that I had on my previous Mirage. The stalk was positioned out of sight behind one of the spokes of the steering wheel. I never used it enough to memorize which buttons did what.
    With the oem cruise I can come to a stop then once I hit 40kph I hit resume and it nicely gets up to the previous speed without flooring it. I don't think I have the self-control/ability to accelerate as gently as the oem cruise can and not have the rpm rise over 3000, without taking much longer to do so. If that made any sense?
    Makes perfect sense. Rostra might work great on a vehicle with power, just not on ours.

It did the job and would be far better than a snow brush on the gas pedal but I still prefer the cruise buttons on the steering wheel and how the oem cruise works.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Audi was in the shop for a week so I've been riding in a current-gen Nissan Maxima. Took it to a ~ 500 mile day trip.

It definitely has good NVH and the seats are *chef's kiss*. Only thing that would make it better is vented seats - which is apparently available at mid & high trims. Mileage was horrible, though and seeing $40 gas bill hurts. The v6 and CVT combo isnt as bad as reviewers say. I never felt the need to pin the gas pedal because of how quick it can get-up-and-go.

That said, if you have no reason to think the LS would leave you stranded, I'd take it. I guess I'm just getting old and now starting to prefer the posh life.

The above statement is making me re-consider my next vehicle purchase from another 'mirage' type vehicle to something with better NVH. However, news of Feds raising % rates is making me re-consider buying a vehicle in general. I'm now looking at the copart auctions similar to what the other newb thread starter did.

Sorry for your loss; safe travels.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Ares - If you subscribed (and thusly will get a notice of this reply), go back a page or 2 if you care to. I did a FOLLOW UP after taking the Mirage. Maybe some decent info. I couple things though, I'm glad the LS avoided the bugs of LA. I like keeping the LS super clean. And, yes, I would have most certainly been perceived as trying to roll up in there like some balluh / shot calluh, in that crowd. The Mirage fit in there like a glove.

No problems with the LS. It is typical Toyota. Would drive around the world, likely with no issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just looked at some shots of the interior of the LS460 on AutoTrader - that is indeed rather plush. Is it wood or tortoiseshell inlays on the steering wheel and center console?

As a side note, w.r.t you mentioning that your family would be intimidated by your Lexus: you're not the first person to mention something like this. My friend recently visited his wife's family abroad who are very wealthy. Apparently his rich now-brother-in-law (BIL) owns a number of vehicles, and the first day he was there they went out in a high-end Mercedes SUV the BIL owned. He related to me that he was 100% emasculated and was near-pissing-his-pants intimidated riding in such an expensive vehicle. This was apparently to the point of being obvious to the BIL, who decided to have pity on him and drive him around in a more pedestrian Mitsubishi SUV he owned for the remainder of the visit.

This is not something that would ever occur to me to consider - ever. Maybe I'm out of touch with your average serf (I work in tech where your average 22-year-old FOB Indian/Chinese coder will go and buy a clapped out Tesla for $100K and slap a "Please Be Patient - New Driver" sticker on the back of it), but expensive stuff is expensive stuff, that's about it. It's not like it makes the people who buy it "your betters" or something like that. People need to chill out, man. We're all just slightly-smarter-than-average monkeys at the end of the day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Just looked at some shots of the interior of the LS460 on AutoTrader - that is indeed rather plush. Is it wood or tortoiseshell inlays on the steering wheel and center console?
    100% real wood. No fake anything. There's some kind of write up about it somewhere on the nets, been too long for me to remember.

Maybe I am a bit of an odd duck. If someone, anyone were to pick me up in a Rolls-Royce, what's the expensive one ... a Phantom? I wouldn't be intimidated by the car at all. I'd want to drive it. Drive it easy, and drive it on a road course. I'd just like to feel what they're capable of. Slow or fast. I would LOVE to drive the Mirage on a road course. However, I would be thinking the whole time that the owner probably feels like he's "better than me." Maybe most would feel the same way as I would.

However, the flip side of that coin. If I roll up in my Lexus, and I'm giving my relatives a ride, I'm sitting there HOPING they don't think I'm better than them. Because it's not that I don't THINK I'm better than them, it's that I KNOW I'm NOT better than them. I'm sure I'm worse. I shouldn't admit this, but I'm always considering how to commit a bunch of select crimes, and how to get away with it ... but I'm intelligent enough to know that I wouldn't get away with it. So I resist my criminal nature. So, I know I'm not better than them. Except that maybe I pay my bills, where many of them either don't, or refuse to get a bill so they don't have to pay it (I can respect that).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)