Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Gasoline Engine Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Why Gasoline Engine Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems

Video is 2 years old but relevant today perhaps.

https://youtu.be/Hatav_Rdnno

That Jason guy made lots of valid point.

He divided the topic into 4 chapters;

1) Scientific issue

2) Environmental problem

3) Cost

4) Consumer choice

Very interesting video.

I wonder if someone has done a cost analysis between Tesla and the Mirage?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to defensivetackle88 For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (09-15-2022),CROSSBOLT (09-15-2022),davidricardo86 (09-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Here is a interesting site that ranks vehicles by the "green" score. You can make all sorts of list to compare on this site. But here is the Mirage's listings.

https://greenercars.org/greenercars-...All&page=0%2C0

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This topic has been done before. Stand by for incoming hate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly the government subsidizes are bizarre at best. Lower tolls for hybrid luxury vehicles (Ferraris) that get worse MPG than the Mirage. EV discounts for Ferraris but no more for the Bolt.... like what are they smoking....

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml
    https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/greentag.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Honestly the government subsidizes are bizarre at best. Lower tolls for hybrid luxury vehicles (Ferraris) that get worse MPG than the Mirage. EV discounts for Ferraris but no more for the Bolt.... like what are they smoking....
    I'm sure those buying a Ferrari need that discount way more than some poor soul trying to buy a Bolt. The world is a bit upside down at the moment. It's not hard to find examples like this to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Here is a interesting site that ranks vehicles by the "green" score. You can make all sorts of list to compare on this site. But here is the Mirage's listings.

https://greenercars.org/greenercars-...All&page=0%2C0
    Interesting, so according to them the Mirage scores a little higher than a RWD Model 3! Awesome.

2022 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT: 59
    2022 Tesla Model S RWD: 55

https://greenercars.org/greenercars-...ermine-ratings

9. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    This topic has been done before. Stand by for incoming hate.
    If most driveways had a Mirage in it, the world would be a better place!

Sadly, most economy cars have disappeared from the market, and cars like the Mirage aren't exactly super affordable.

I was helping an elderly lady shop for a car recently. She wanted to buy a nice used car locally. Money is not a problem, because she's frugal with her money. Her husband passed away a little over a year ago (after a long period of bad health). If you are shopping locally in my area, you are somewhat restricted to GM, Ford, & Chrysler products.

She ended up replacing her late husband's 2003 white Cadillac (condemned by her local mechanic/extreme rust) with a black 2014 black Cadillac with 42,000 miles. She paid more than she wanted, but trying to get it for a lower price was difficult. She wasn't stuck on getting another Cadillac, but it is very sharp looking (knowing her husband would have loved this car does mean something to her).

She bought her used car from a very large dealership in a nearby town that carries GM, Chrysler, Jeep, & Ford vehicles. Despite the size of this somewhat large dealership, her Cadillac was the ONLY car they had in all of their lots. She wanted a car, because that's all she has ever driven. Her daughter wanted her in a larger car, but something like an Impala or Taurus would have been OK, too. The point is there were no cars like that to be found. It was this one or nothing (locally). This little event last week made me realize how sad things really are.

She has the money to buy anything she wants, but she just wanted a newer slightly used car for a decent price. That doesn't exist these days. She bought an older car than she wanted, because nothing else was out there. Going to dealers farther away would have been outside her comfort zone, too.

She's still adjusting to push button start & where the shift lever is located. A screen on the dash is overwhelming to her, & this is a 9-year old car. She'll adapt eventually. Going to church & grocery shopping is the extent of her driving these days.

I introduce student drivers to vehicles all the time. I started 4 new ones last night. They pick up on this stuff fast. Elderly people struggle with newer cars. I look at some of the interiors of today's new vehicles, & I think yuck myself. I must be getting OLD!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (09-15-2022)

Internal combustion engines may be far from dead today but the adoption of new technologies follows a similar trend. Eventually, in general everyone ends up adopting it.

Name:  FELTON-CONSUMPTION--1024x531.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  72.8 KB

https://hbr.org/2013/11/the-pace-of-...is-speeding-up

13. The Following User Says Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It amazes me that the Mirage only takes 1 minute...O-N-E-MINUTE....to refuel gas at the pump while Tesla would takes hours to be completely recharged for nearly the same possible "DTE"

How do I know this? Well I timed myself from the moment I start refueling to the first fuel cut off.

$<20k Mirage vs $45+k Tesla

:FACEPALMS:

So I filled it up and only cost me $37. That's far apart from the larger car with larger fuel tank ie Corolla for crying out loud.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    It amazes me that the Mirage only takes 1 minute...O-N-E-MINUTE....to refuel gas at the pump while Tesla would takes hours to be completely recharged for nearly the same possible "DTE"

How do I know this? Well I timed myself from the moment I start refueling to the first fuel cut off.

$<20k Mirage vs $45+k Tesla

:FACEPALMS:

So I filled it up and only cost me $37. That's far apart from the larger car with larger fuel tank ie Corolla for crying out loud.
    Prior to 2020, I never paid more than $20 to fill my Mirage.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-17-2022),Wil B (09-16-2022)