Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3,000-4,000 mile oil change interval

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,124 Times in 1,673 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Well, that doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I just drained my oil at a 7,500 mile interval, and same as above. The oil level was still at the top. The oil didn't look "clean" like new oil, but it looked like it was carrying a very manageable amount of suspended particles and looked quite healthy. A 7,500 mile oci on mostly suburban driving doesn't concern me the least. It's probably overkill, but I'll stick to the manufacturer's recommendation.

So, with some explanation from minibishi2, I think he seems to be aware of what he's doing, and I doubt he's doing any engine killing harm. More power to him!

However mb2, Fummins knows his stuff. I'm betting his reply is based on various others that have posted same or similar things as you, but didn't follow up or explain their rationale. He B OK.

Even Mobil 1 (Annual/20,000 mile) recommends following the manufacturer recommended oil change interval. Thus, they are off the hook if you don't follow it.

Everyone's situation is different. It's only 3 quarts of oil, & I don't mind changing it myself. Plus I paid big bucks (not really) for my Fomoto oil drain valve, & I want to get my money's worth using it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am a fan of the fumoto. Was skeptical at first but bought one for the mirage, now I have one on every vehicle I maintain. Rolled in from work the other day, slid the pan underneath and removed lock flipped switch and went in for dinner in 5 minutes without getting my shirt sleeves dirty. Finished after dinner in maybe another 10. Nice thing with the mirage and fumoto I never have to get underneath for oil changes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    I am a fan of the fumoto. Was skeptical at first but bought one for the mirage, now I have one on every vehicle I maintain. Rolled in from work the other day, slid the pan underneath and removed lock flipped switch and went in for dinner in 5 minutes without getting my shirt sleeves dirty. Finished after dinner in maybe another 10. Nice thing with the mirage and fumoto I never have to get underneath for oil changes.

You can reach the fumoto valve from the top??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    You can reach the fumoto valve from the top??
    No, for that I crouch down and can reach it. To unscrew the drain plug I would have had to lay under it with a wrench. Downside is that I now don't get under as much to look for things like cracked or torn cv boots

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    No, for that I crouch down and can reach it.
    Have you ever seen Shrek crouch down? That's me. I doubt I'm reaching a fumoto without laying down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still just your arm underneath unless you are more like T-Shrex