Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3,000-4,000 mile oil change interval

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am not convinced CVTs are more efficient for this reason alone. Manuals also require no special filters. I wouldn't own a small car without a manual transmission. I hand calculate at the pump. I pushed my Mirage hard through Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, & New York on this last trip. My lowest tanks were around 42 mpg, and my best was near 48 mpg.
    Mark - I know you know this, but I think our own Mirage mpg fuel log thing substantially proves our (Mirage) manual transmission is better for mpg that our (Mirage) CVT. I would have to assume that the EPA drive cycles somehow negates real world conditions, and negates the abilities of an effective manual transmission DRIVER. I don't know the cycle, but maybe it mandates getting up to certain speeds, while mandating which gear to be in for a manual transmissions. And in real life, that may not be the most effective way to handle those conditions. I realize I'm preaching to the choir.

My return drive from a near empty fill in Gulfport, MS all the way to Auburn, AL was at 38.1 mpg. And I was driving it easy (73.4 mph with no A.C.). I don't know how you push your car hard and hit 42 mpg. You must be pushing it hard downhill!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's the highest mile engine known for these mirages

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    What's the highest mile engine known for these mirages
    So far the highest ive herd of was a mirage with 414,000 miles on it. still running and driving fine

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've been doing around 15-20k mile intervals since buying it around 75k. Now at around 125k.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minibishi2 View Post
    I've been doing around 15-20k mile intervals since buying it around 75k. Now at around 125k.
    Since Mitsubishi recommends 3,750 mile or 7,500 mile oil change intervals, what do you base your decision to do more than twice that?

Lots of highway miles, saving the planet, etc???

These posts just keep getting more entertaining. I'm in awe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since Mitsubishi recommends 3,750 mile or 7,500 mile oil change intervals, what do you base your decision to do more than twice that?

Lots of highway miles, saving the planet, etc???
    I use mobile1 anual 20k oil plus filter and check it very often. Doesn't burn a drop and stays looking clean. I do drive 95% highway though and this is a project car for me. That said I've always done the same in all my cars since it came out and even my eclipse is at the 240k mile mark without an issue.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I do 5,000 mile oil change intervals with Mobil-1 and have had Blackstone oil analysis reports done 6 times over 100K miles (see this post).

My TBN numbers consistently show that my oil has plenty of life left in it at 5,000 miles. 7,500 miles would not be a problem. The only reason I do 5,000 miles is because it's easy for me to remember and I rotate my tires at the same time. From a purely financial standpoint, I am draining usable oil from my car at every oil change.

If you're concerned about how your oil is really doing, spend a couple of bucks and get an oil sample analyzed after you have racked up some miles.

Whatever you do, just keep good records and receipts so if something does blow up under warranty (not very likely in these cars), the dealer won't use "lack of maintenance" as an excuse.
    This. These engines could do 9k mile oil changes, I'd venture.

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    These posts just keep getting more entertaining. I'm in awe.
    You seem like such a negative person. Education does the mind wonders. Much like people from 200 years ago had no idea that we would have the power of smart phones, technology advances, people learn and innovate. You must keep up with time instead of being stuck in your past.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-yt5a1cWd4

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This. These engines could do 9k mile oil changes, I'd venture.
    Yeah, our highest mileage turd saw 12,000km(7500 mile) intervals for the first 300k km. Now it's done every 6000km/4000miles like the rest. It still runs. I want to do compression on it one of these days. It is a bit clacky when warm and occasionally uses 1/2 qt between changes. It's at 494k km(307k miles) right meow.

I change my oil twice a year in the turdmobile and ol' lady's dumpstermobile. The truck gets an oil change every other year or so? It's slightly overdue...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)