Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mitsubishi "Renault Captur" ASX introduction

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    One point seems to have been overlooked in the Renault/Mitsubishi discussion.

In Europe Renault is heavily advertising its electric cars, and presumably hoping they will earn a better reputation than what we saw from them in previous decades. Renault style car electrics were absolutely famous! I had one Renault with the fusebox built on a piece of flexible plastic with a plethora of inflexible electric plugs connecting to it. That caused frequent malfunctions on varying connectors and later even got the car on fire. I can't imagine anything being designed more cheaper and trashier. An apprentice would presumably have done it better.

Mitsubishi in contrast is heavily involved in very modern electronics, and also designs and fabricates their own chips. Mitsubishi also sells all sorts of electronic stuff to other car makers for installation as their own OEM. Their car business is just a small sideline in comparison to their electronics.

In the light of that and thinking of electric cars, might Renault be looking up to Mitsubishi as their aquired future knowledge source for modern, competitive electronics? I wouldn't be surprised.
    IIRC the whole point of Nissan/Renault purchasing controlling shares of Mitsubishi Motors, was to have access to its PHEV and electrical research and development. I know every Honda has a Mitsubishi Electric made alternator or at least, they used to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

vintzend (09-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'll take the outdated, but proven Outlander Sport over this, but if I lived in Europe I'd check it out. It's not ugly and comes in manual, that alone should trigger some interests on here.
    The Outlander Sport is the US name for the European ASX, if I understood the Wikipedia article correctly.

Europeans on here, is Renault really considered an unreliable brand? I know nothing about it.
    I hear this mostly from people who, like myself, never owned a French car. A quick Google suggests it's somewhere in the middle of "20 most reliable car brands" research, FWIW.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vintzend For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-22-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    The Outlander Sport is the US name for the European ASX, if I understood the Wikipedia article correctly.

I hear this mostly from people who, like myself, never owned a French car. A quick Google suggests it's somewhere in the middle of "20 most reliable car brands" research, FWIW.
    Yes but the American market is keeping the old ASX while Europe is getting the new rebadge. I'd be interested in Mitsubishi selling that here as a separate model, since it's smaller than the Outlander Sport.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Imagine how cool a Suzuki/Mitsubishi/Isuzu Alliance would be.
    It wouldn't have been as financially stabile, but I bet we would have gotten some unique and innovative vehicles, that's for sure!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-22-2022)

but if I lived in Europe I'd check it out. It's not ugly and comes in manual, that alone should trigger some interests on here.
    I think the issue is that if the original,which is really popular (I see those Renault Capturs driving literally everywhere), looks like this:

Name:  renault_captur.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  26.5 KB

Only existing Mitsubishi customers would potentially be interested in:

Name:  mitsubishi-asx-2023.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  90.8 KB

They are too similar IMO....

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    I think the issue is that if the original,which is really popular (I see those Renault Capturs driving literally everywhere), looks like this:

Name:  renault_captur.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  26.5 KB

Only existing Mitsubishi customers would potentially be interested in:

Name:  mitsubishi-asx-2023.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  90.8 KB

They are too similar IMO....
    Is the Mitsubishi warranty longer than Renaults? That alone is worth it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    One point seems to have been overlooked in the Renault/Mitsubishi discussion.

In Europe Renault is heavily advertising its electric cars, and presumably hoping they will earn a better reputation than what we saw from them in previous decades. Renault style car electrics were absolutely famous! I had one Renault with the fusebox built on a piece of flexible plastic with a plethora of inflexible electric plugs connecting to it. That caused frequent malfunctions on varying connectors and later even got the car on fire. I can't imagine anything being designed more cheaper and trashier. An apprentice would presumably have done it better.

Mitsubishi in contrast is heavily involved in very modern electronics, and also designs and fabricates their own chips. Mitsubishi also sells all sorts of electronic stuff to other car makers for installation as their own OEM. Their car business is just a small sideline in comparison to their electronics.

In the light of that and thinking of electric cars, might Renault be looking up to Mitsubishi as their aquired future knowledge source for modern, competitive electronics? I wouldn't be surprised.
    Sewers suck down. I don't have high expectations from the Alliance. I hope they prove me wrong, however.