Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Rotation - what are my options?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Discount Tire rotates them for free.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Discount Tire rotates them for free.
    Thank you so much! I called them and asked for a quote on the rotation itself. They truly do it for free. I felt shocked when they said that.

I also asked how much for the tire balance and they said $20 for EACH tires. That's $80 bucks there. Geez.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What makes you think a tire is out of balance? That's only happened to me once when I hit a pothole and knocked a weight off. I rotate in my driveway using Mark's process. I might have read it from him elsewhere on the forum. Gives me an opportunity to check the spare too. I do it at each oil change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Thank you so much! I called them and asked for a quote on the rotation itself. They truly do it for free. I felt shocked when they said that.

I also asked how much for the tire balance and they said $20 for EACH tires. That's $80 bucks there. Geez.
    I don't get the balance thing?

You get new tires balanced when they are mounted on rims for the first time. I don't remember having them balanced a 2nd time again (in all my years of driving). My Subaru Forester has 8 year old Cooper tires with 65,000+ miles on them this summer. Those tires were balanced once when I bought them in 2014. They still ride perfectly fine. Paying to have them balanced would be a waste of money.

I have had Dunlop Enasave, Federal SS657, Nokian Nordman 7, Nexen N'Priz AH5, and Kumho Solus TA31 tires on my Mirage. None of these tires were ever balanced a 2nd time.

If you are really concerned about this, Walmart mount tires bought from them for free. A one time balance is $12, & a lifetime balance is $14. That was the price that I paid last year at least.

I bought the Kumho pair of tires from Walmart, & they replaced a pair of worn out Federal tires. The new tires were delivered to my home, & I dropped them off at Walmart while I went to do driving lessons for a few hours. Mounting two tires & balancing them was $28 plus $3.00 ($1.50/tire) for the disposal of the old tire. The total cost was $31 + tax. I have no intention of ever having the Kumho tires balanced again, unless I suspect something has gone wrong (like hitting a pot hole hard & losing a wheel weight or something).

I do tire rotation every spring & fall, but I have never had a 2nd balance done on a car tire. I had a front motorcycle tire balanced twice & determined the tire was faulty after that. It bounced horribly when going past 50 mph. I had it replaced shortly after that.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    If anyone lurking on here lives near a Discount Tire, they offer free rotations and add air to your tires for free, even if you have never bought wheels/tires from them before. Their customer service is fantastic too, friendly staff. Crazy all the good things that come out of not paying starvation wages.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Mark (09-23-2022),Wil B (09-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    If anyone lurking on here lives near a Discount Tire, they offer free rotations and add air to your tires for free, even if you have never bought wheels/tires from them before. Their customer service is fantastic too, friendly staff. Crazy all the good things that come out of not paying starvation wages.
    If I lived near a Discount Tire & needed tires today, I would buy the 165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 tires from them for $76/tire. Walmart's price at this moment is $78.81/tire (tire prices really fluctuate, however).

Given what has been shared here, I would give Discount Tire my business if I lived close to one. I don't mind paying a little extra for good customer service. Free customer service is even better!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-23-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Wow, that seems expensive!
    Compare that with these:

https://www.reifendirekt.de/cgi-bin/...ter_preis_bis=

Wow, that seems expensive.
    Compare that with this
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...3c1b7bd0pjgcFR
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Crazy all the good things that come out of not paying starvation wages.
    Their customer service doesn't come from non-starvation wages. Their non-starvation wages come from higher revenues (and profit), which is necessary for a business to survive, which comes from intelligent business strategy combined with a good product.

They filter and train (fire who they need to) to get good quality workers, and implement good business strategies (free rotation / tire air pressure checks-adjustments) in order to place themselves in an area of trust and respect within the community in order to increase revenue SO THAT THEY CAN THEN AFFORD to pay non-starvation wages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Their customer service doesn't come from non-starvation wages. Their non-starvation wages come from higher revenues (and profit), which is necessary for a business to survive, which comes from intelligent business strategy combined with a good product.

They filter and train (fire who they need to) to get good quality workers, and implement good business strategies (free rotation / tire air pressure checks-adjustments) in order to place themselves in an area of trust and respect within the community in order to increase revenue SO THAT THEY CAN THEN AFFORD to pay non-starvation wages.
    Did you just agree with me or is this a debate? I'm confused lol. All I know is if a large % of your full time employees are on medicaid, SNAP, and other Federal assistance like this article reports;

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...workers-you-do

Then you're running your business the wrong way, if our taxes has to subsidize you're employees because their paycheck doesn't cover basic necessities. That's not the free market, that's grift of the highest order at our expense AKA "corporate welfare".

You get what you pay for.

Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 09-23-2022 at 09:10 PM.