Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Rotation - what are my options?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tire Rotation - what are my options?

G4 now has 5100 miles and I want to get it rotated. Don't want to pay for new tires until it reaches 3/32.

So I'm not sure if it smart to rotate tires myself as a mechanically-inclined noob since it just rotation. I do go to garage rental shop that has lift as I had done oil change on my ex-Prius/Corolla in the past.

Or shall I have Mitsubishi dealer (20 miles away) do the job for $29.99 (no mention of balance/mount).

There's Walmart, Costco, and Discount Tires near me. Idk if it cost effective.

Also is wheel balance/mount necessary?

Thought?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I pay Walmart to rotate my tires, cheap fast n easy, balance and mount isn't necessary because well..They are already mounted on rims and balanced so i just pay for the standard rotation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have a jack and at least two jack stands it's easy enough (45 min.)

First jack stand-up one side of the car (passenger), and swap the two wheels.
    Then jack stand-up the other side of the car (driver) swap those two wheels.
    Finally jack stand-up just the rear of the car and swap them again.
    Last edited by Dookaughs; 09-22-2022 at 02:04 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    G4 now has 5100 miles and I want to get it rotated. Don't want to pay for new tires until it reaches 3/32.

So I'm not sure if it smart to rotate tires myself as a mechanically-inclined noob since it just rotation. I do go to garage rental shop that has lift as I had done oil change on my ex-Prius/Corolla in the past.

Or shall I have Mitsubishi dealer (20 miles away) do the job for $29.99 (no mention of balance/mount).

There's Walmart, Costco, and Discount Tires near me. Idk if it cost effective.

Also is wheel balance/mount necessary?

Thought?
    Sounds like you have plenty of options. I would do whatever works best for your situation. You only balance & mount a new tire on to a rim. If you suspect a tire is out of balance (tire is bouncing while you drive), you could have it checked & balanced again if needed. I don't remember having that done very often.

Decide on a rotation pattern & stick with the same one each time. I like moving front tires straight back, and moving the rear tires crossed to the front. It really doesn't matter what way you do it, as long as the rotation is done the same way consistently.

If you have access to a lift, it would be easy to do yourself. Otherwise, just price out all the places you mentioned.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    While we are on Tire care...
    I bought this portable compressor and am always rolling on perfect air pressure for an even tire wear.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    The options for tyre rotation depend mainly on the model of tyres. Some are made with a rotation direction, others not. For example some can run clockwise, others only counterclockwise, thats how they were mounted. It says on the tyre, have a good look.
    A tyre with a fixed rotation direction can be swapped on the same side, that is between front and back on the same side.

It is a good habit to rotate them every oil change. That keeps them from wearing out prematurely. The owners manual has some info about that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (09-22-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would encourage you to do it yourself and not pay a dealership. But I may be biased. I am very reluctant to trust others on my vehicles these days. While we're on the subject of rotating tires, I really need to do it to my Mirage before it gets cold. What is the torque spec for the lug nuts? I don't want to make it impossible to get off later, but I also don't want my wheel falling off. Also, I am in Ohio where they salt the roads, so is anti seize recommended?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The options for tyre rotation depend mainly on the model of tyres. Some are made with a rotation direction, others not. For example some can run clockwise, others only counterclockwise, thats how they were mounted. It says on the tyre, have a good look.
    A tyre with a fixed rotation direction can be swapped on the same side, that is between front and back on the same side.

It is a good habit to rotate them every oil change. That keeps them from wearing out prematurely. The owners manual has some info about that.
    These are all good points. Mirage factory tires would not be directional tires, but it is something to consider when replacing tires. I am not a big fan of directional tires for that reason alone.

Unfortunately most snow tires (probably not a concern for someone living in LA) these days are directional.

My Nokian snow tires (directional) have done 5 winters up front. Other than moving to the rear axle some day, rotating them is not an option (unless I have the tire taken off the rims and remounted).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    Have a jack and at least two jack stands it's easy enough (45 min.)

First jack stand-up one side of the car (passenger), and swap the two wheels.
    Then jack stand-up the other side of the car (driver) swap those two wheels.
    Finally jack stand-up just the rear of the car and swap them again.
    I have two sets of tires. I rotate my tires in the spring & fall when I change tires. A tire comes off & another one goes on at the same time, which makes rotations a bit easier with even a single jack.

If I am rotating only four tires with a single jack -

1. Remove the driver's side rear tire & put the spare tire in its place temporarily.

2. Remove the passenger side front tire & put the driver's side rear in its place.

3. Remove the passenger side rear tire & put the passenger side front tire in its place.

4. Remove the driver's side front tire & put the passenger side rear tire in its place.

5. Remove the spare tire on the driver's side rear & place the driver's front tire in its place.

6. Return the spare tire to its proper place.

I only lift one spot twice this way. This will move your rear tires to the opposite front and front tires straight back.

Other simple points - Loosen lug nuts slightly before lifting the tire off the ground, & fully tighten them once the replacement tire is set back down on the ground. Double check them all when done, and double check them after driving some distance.

A lift would make the job much easier, but it can be done with a single jack, too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You all made great points, thank you.

I would want to do it myself even though the rental lift charges $12 per hour, otherwise, Walmart for $20 (rotation alone, no balance, no mount), or Mitsubishi dealer for $30.

But then I realized about alignments. I have not experienced any pull to the left nor right, vibration, bounce, and etc. So I think it make sense for me to get an alignments result from the dealer first and compare it to the result from the independent shops.

I imagine having negative offset on toe, camber for examples has an affect on fuel economy and uneven tire wear and if that the case, I thought dealership should correct for free (12 month/12,000 miles defficiency period still apply if I recalled correctly).

I haven't fully checked all 4 tires but will take pictures and upload it here before taking it to the dealer for possible correction. Heck maybe it best for me to pay $30 for the rotation and ensure they get the balance and mount included, or worse case scenario, replacement on all 4's.