Thread: Cigarette lighter (12v power socket) removal/replace

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Cigarette lighter (12v power socket) removal/replace

While I was trying to remove my cigarette lighter from me 2015 Mirage I couldn't see any guides here so I thought I'd illustrate the process for anyone else thinking of doing the same for whatever reason.

Removing the glove box is I think a must.

Once you've done so, reach your hand around through the glove box to the behind of the lower centre console where the socket is, you'll feel a diagonally opposed two prong connector, pull this off, it has no clips or anything it just pulls off.

Name:  IMG_20220927_182644.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  74.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220927_152904.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  82.2 KB

Next thing you'll need to do is push the metal socket out of it's plastic surround, this surround cannot be pulled out while the metal socket is inside of it.

Inside the metal socket you'll notice there are two rectangular holes, one at approx 1 o clock and the other at 7 o clock, these have a plastic tab in them, you'll need to push this tab in and then push or pull the metal socket gently to prevent the tab from seating back into place, you'll then need to do the same to the other, this requires a little patience, as the other tab will want to seat while you try and get it's friend out.

Name:  IMG_20220927_182606.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  80.3 KB

Once you've free'd both tabs I recommend rotating the metal socket a little bit in the clockwise direction as the plastic surround has a keyway and will only allow the removal of the metal socket in one position. It should push out (toward the rear of the car) without too much effort once you've found the right position. There's a little bit of resistance as the start of the pronged part passes through the back beginning of the plastic surround, once this part is through the rest of the way should be easy.

Name:  IMG_20220927_151533.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220927_151834.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  86.7 KB

Once you've removed the metal socket you'll now be able to squeeze two tabs that exist on the plastic surround inside of the centre console (roughly located at 1 o clock and 7 o clock), once you squeeze these tabs the plastic surround will push out of the centre console (toward the rear of the car). The plastic surround also has a keyway and installs with the cover tab connected at the bottom. Beware instructions might be back to front for different regions globally.

Last edited by skyblue; 09-27-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Why would you do this? The 12V power socket charges a cell phone very quick, certainly quicker than when my cell is plug into the usb-port for Android Auto.

Are you planning on some cool new mod instead?

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Why would you do this? The 12V power socket charges a cell phone very quick, certainly quicker than when my cell is plug into the usb-port for Android Auto.

Are you planning on some cool new mod instead?
    I have one of those double adapters for the sockets and it kept working its way loose even after stuffing it to make it rock solid, the next step was removing it from being in midair and laying it in where the cup holders are so it wont work its way out as much, or at least thats the theory.