Thread: Installing Solar-panel battery-maintainer

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Installing Solar-panel battery-maintainer

I am wanting to attach a cable to the battery of my 2019 Mirage, and go through the firewall to a connector in order to attach a solar-powered battery-maintainer. I've been snaking the cable out from under the hood, and attaching the solar panel to the roof using suction cups, but that is a really clunky solution! Much better, I think, to have the whole system (except for the part under the hood) enclosed in the passenger compartment, and attach the solar panel on the inside of a window. Can I somehow stick the cable with the many other cables that already go through the firewall? I'm afraid if I try that, I'm likely to damage the other wires and/or the electrical system!

When I went to the dealer to replace the original battery and inquired about my idea, they said, "Advised customer in regards to aftermarket (meaning not made by Mitsubishi) solar charger, that wire would need to be cut and rerouted through fender. Cannot perform work here due to aftermarket component." To me that makes no sense! The fender?!?!

Anyway, is it safe to drill in any of the places I've marked with red arrows? If so, which one(s)? One photo shows under the hood, and the other shows under the steering wheel are.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by YolandaInSF; 10-04-2022 at 11:01 PM. Reason: I left out the year and model!

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Routing a cable through the firewall can be tricky since you want to avoid damaging existing wires or the vehicle's electrical system. It's often safer to locate an existing grommet or pass-through in the firewall used by other cables and carefully push your cable through there, using a guide wire or a stiff piece of wire to help navigate. This method minimizes the risk of damage and keeps the installation clean.

If you're looking for more detailed guidance on solar-powered battery maintainers and how to integrate them into your vehicle safely, checking out resources like https://solargenerators.to might be beneficial. They offer insights that could help in planning your setup effectively.
    Last edited by Vroomman; 02-08-2024 at 06:52 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know this is a very old thread but why not just wire it to an always connected circuit like the dome light?

please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos