Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New owner of 2017 G4; iso most the efficient means

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    That is, up to the rated cold tire inflation pressure.
    Yeeaahhh, I’m talking beyond the rated max pressure (going along with the Office Space theme.) But yes, I agree with you that underinflation is worse.

Don’t forget the new coversheets on your TPS reports.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    You're the 4th person to remind me....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    No 6 speed exists that I'm aware of. But that begs the question: Is yours a 5-speed?

Here's what it takes to maximize your mpg:

1. Ignore the billigerant a-holes that are going to be all up on your rear bumper, and
    2. Shift as low an rpm as you can considering the conditions, and gently bring it up to your cruise speeds.

Now, it is a given that all the other high mpg driving techniques are relevant here. Like, looking ahead and you see a red light with a pile of cars stopped, or stopping. Go ahead and let off and let your car coast up to all that and try to not come to a complete stop. It's kind of fun to let off soon enough to barely lose any speed before the traffic gets rolling again. However, there will still be QX80 soccer moms wearing baseball hats that will get mad at you because they want to blast up to a full stop as quick as they can.

Other than that, slow steady speeds in 5th, assuming you have a 5-speed, and you're going to knock down mid-40's (with no A/C), while your display says ~50 mpg. Multiply your display times 0.93, and your accurately calculated mpg will be much closer to that.

And congrats on the new ride! Pictures or it never happened...
    My G4 is 5-speed. Currently averaging about 43MPG. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I'll post a photo of it as soon as I can figure out how to do that here in this conversation.😃

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I pretty much run 45-50 PSI all the time. Check out this thread to see how my tires held up...

After 93,000 miles my original tires have finally worn out
    Top Fuel's past tires -

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus 185/55R15 82V BSW Tires have a 51 psi maximum rating on their sidewalls. These tires served Top Fuel very well in both performance, economy, & durability. No one can argue that!

I currently have 8 different pairs of 165/65r14 tires for my Mirage (don't ask why).

Some are rated maximum 44 psi, 47 psi, & 51 psi. I personally think those ratings are worth taking note of. I will run my 51 psi tires a bit higher than my 44 psi tires, but I HIGHLY doubt much is gained by going above the maximum psi rating of the tire. I am not a tire engineer, however.

Since I have an air compressor, I do check/fill my tires in my driveway when they are cold. That also makes a difference.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman60 View Post
    My G4 is 5-speed. Currently averaging about 43MPG. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I'll post a photo of it as soon as I can figure out how to do that here in this conversation.😃
    Wheelman60 - My average mpg posted in the forums here is, more or less, 43 mpg. I have a couple heavy hauls with my Blueberry Tow Rig (1,500 pounds, trailer and ATV), that dropped my average mpg down a bit. I'm at maybe 42.6 or 42.7 mpg now. Yeah, I know, 1,500 pounds, not a lot of weight. But it is for a Mirage. 75% of the car's weight.

Anywho - The point of this reply is, to enjoy the 43 mpg of your car. A G4 might be able to knock out a bit higher numbers than the equivalent Hatch, because the Gee-Foe is slipprier. Yes, that's a word. I wouldn't knock yourself out for much more than that though. Just enjoy the drive of a well put together car ... well put together for this price range and then some.

Over 50 mpg on a regular basis? That's a special kind of regular in my mind. You'd have to have the ultimate routes to drive or be doing a lot of special driving. I like to drive efficient, but I'm not going to go overboard with it and drive everyone else on the road around me crazy. I live in Atlanta metro, a lot of people already on the edge of being crazy down here as it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Wheelman60 - My average mpg posted in the forums here is, more or less, 43 mpg. I have a couple heavy hauls with my Blueberry Tow Rig (1,500 pounds, trailer and ATV), that dropped my average mpg down a bit. I'm at maybe 42.6 or 42.7 mpg now. Yeah, I know, 1,500 pounds, not a lot of weight. But it is for a Mirage. 75% of the car's weight.

Anywho - The point of this reply is, to enjoy the 43 mpg of your car. A G4 might be able to knock out a bit higher numbers than the equivalent Hatch, because the Gee-Foe is slipprier. Yes, that's a word. I wouldn't knock yourself out for much more than that though. Just enjoy the drive of a well put together car ... well put together for this price range and then some.

Over 50 mpg on a regular basis? That's a special kind of regular in my mind. You'd have to have the ultimate routes to drive or be doing a lot of special driving. I like to drive efficient, but I'm not going to go overboard with it and drive everyone else on the road around me crazy. I live in Atlanta metro, a lot of people already on the edge of being crazy down here as it is.
    To add to what has already been said, I see your location is Wisconsin. Your mpg will drop some during the winter months. I am typically above 40 mpg year round, except if we have an extreme cold stretch of consecutive days of -20F or below. Then I may drop into the high 30's.

It's not uncommon to be 45+ mpg during the summer months for my driving, but 40-44 mpg are my typical winter months ratings.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Long story short, just listen to Top_Fuel and check out that thread he linked. Pretty much anything he puts together, actually. Dude knows what's up and has all the data to prove it - not just anecdotal evidence. He's a rockstar and I'm super glad he takes the time to post stuff here.

Other than that, the biggest thing that has control over your MPG is speed. Like others have pointed out, just stick with the double nickel (55mph) speed limit and you should be fine. MPG drops off a cliff beyond that. If you want to really wring the max out of these cars, 45mph is where they actually seem happiest, but please don't attempt that on a highway.

For the CVT versions of the cars, engaging the cruise control also helps a lot. I've noticed that while driving "with your feet," the computer will keep the RPM's higher so that the car feels more responsive (less lag time from engine spin up) if you put your foot down. Engaging cruise control sees the computer drop all of that and switch over to full efficiency mode. You have a manual, though, so I'm not sure the same applies.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    For the CVT versions of the cars, engaging the cruise control also helps a lot. I've noticed that while driving "with your feet," the computer will keep the RPM's higher so that the car feels more responsive (less lag time from engine spin up) if you put your foot down. Engaging cruise control sees the computer drop all of that and switch over to full efficiency mode. You have a manual, though, so I'm not sure the same applies.
    POU - That is very interesting. I've not seen this stated here before. I guess I can see it both ways. Meaning, to control the rpm/trans by Mitsubishi like you say, and keep the rpm up, versus not doing that. In my experience at Toyota, customer satisfaction (including driving performance) was always held at utmost priority. So I could imagine Toyota doing a similar thing, keeping the rpm up a bit for normal foot driving. Thanks for the good & interesting info.

I agree with the 55 mph thing. I wish I could get on the interstates around here, put it on 55 mph (cruise), and feel safe. Alas, I would NOT feel safe.