Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner of 2017 G4; iso most the efficient means

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New owner of 2017 G4; iso most the efficient means

Hello!
    I'm not a tiny car type person.. I got a Mechanic's position at a dealership 40 miles from home and the family minivan only gets 20MPG. I had to find something else. As it turns out I did a safety inspection on a trade in that is now my "new" G4.
    56,ooo mi.
    I am in search of the most fuel efficient way to drive this car. I have already considered 15" wheels and (probably wishful thinking) I would explore installing a 6 speed transmission if one exists for this car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman60 View Post
    Hello!
    I'm not a tiny car type person.. I got a Mechanic's position at a dealership 40 miles from home and the family minivan only gets 20MPG. I had to find something else. As it turns out I did a safety inspection on a trade in that is now my "new" G4.
    56,ooo mi.
    I am in search of the most fuel efficient way to drive this car. I have already considered 15" wheels and (probably wishful thinking) I would explore installing a 6 speed transmission if one exists for this car.
    Welcome to the forum! You can upgrade to 15" rims without mpg penalty, there is a thread that deals with this topic specifically.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...eels-and-Tires

No 6 speed manual transmission available but you could certainly install the 5 speed manual from a wrecking yard if you could find a 5 speed hatchback as the donor. With the manual transmission 50+mpg is definitely possible on a regular basis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    No 6 speed exists that I'm aware of. But that begs the question: Is yours a 5-speed?

Here's what it takes to maximize your mpg:

1. Ignore the billigerant a-holes that are going to be all up on your rear bumper, and
    2. Shift as low an rpm as you can considering the conditions, and gently bring it up to your cruise speeds.

Now, it is a given that all the other high mpg driving techniques are relevant here. Like, looking ahead and you see a red light with a pile of cars stopped, or stopping. Go ahead and let off and let your car coast up to all that and try to not come to a complete stop. It's kind of fun to let off soon enough to barely lose any speed before the traffic gets rolling again. However, there will still be QX80 soccer moms wearing baseball hats that will get mad at you because they want to blast up to a full stop as quick as they can.

Other than that, slow steady speeds in 5th, assuming you have a 5-speed, and you're going to knock down mid-40's (with no A/C), while your display says ~50 mpg. Multiply your display times 0.93, and your accurately calculated mpg will be much closer to that.

And congrats on the new ride! Pictures or it never happened...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    All good advice. However the cheapest and easiest way to improved fuel economy is air up your tires. I often ran mine between 45-50psi on the stock Dunlops. Other modifications have negligible returns.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, that reminds me. I think mine are at a soggy 40 psi...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    🤔 Wouldn't inflating the tires to 45-50 PSI increase the chance of:

A) tyres blow out
    B) cause uneven thread wear
    C) void warranty?
    D) bad alignment, toe, camber?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    �� Wouldn't inflating the tires to 45-50 PSI increase the chance of:

A) tyres blow out
    C) void warranty?
    Yes, it would increase the possibility of tire blow-out but I never had that problem with my Dunlop Enasaves. Those had a rating of 44psi maximum printed on the sidewall if I remember correctly. Some other tires have higher maximum ratings. It never caused uneven wear, not that I had noticed. Poor alignment and hard cornering would contribute more to uneven wear. There may have been more wear in the center of the tread but I hadn’t measured it.

Keep within your comfort zone with these things. If you aren’t comfortable with such high pressures in your tires, then best stick to the OEM recommendations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes, it would increase the possibility of tire blow-out ...
    Uhhhhh, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with ya there. (Office Space).

Outside of something out of the ordinary that could penetrate a tire, coming into contact with the tire, more air / air pressure WILL NOT increase the possibility of a tire blow-out. That is, up to the rated cold tire inflation pressure.

If anything, it would decrease the possibility. At least being in automotive, this is what I was learned. Because air is what keeps the tire cool (or cooled). A lack of air is more likely to cause a blow-out.

However, running a tire at its maximum cold inflation level could or does lead to more wear in the center of the tire. However, I don't think I've ever seen a tire plum worn out in the center first. I'm sure it happens, but I've not seen it. And I generally run my tires somewhat over 35 psi. 35 psi is as low as I'll go.

I think BASIC is a tire engineer. I hope he replies, even if he says that I'm wrong.

A short story (I hope). When my wife was my gf, she was driving her 1990 Toyota Celica ST. She evidently ran over something at some point, we don't know when, and the air was slowly being let out of her right rear tire. She said she was just cruising along (on the interstate) 75 mph, everything was perfectly normal. Then BLAM! She pulled over and called me. I had to drive about 90 miles to where she was. The ENTIRE outer sidewall had blown off the rest of the tire. It was amazing. That tire had just slowly gotten hot from low air pressure and it blew. The logic does seem backward. You'd think with a lack of air it would just get soft and make a thumping noise and vibrate. They might do that with low air sometimes, but they can blow under those circumstances too. Funny thing is, I removed her wheel, put it in my trunk and took it to a local tire place ... and asked them to patch it! You should have seen the look on their face. I acted like I was serious, until they were speechless, then I laughed and so did they.

7milesout

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-10-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Because air is what keeps the tire cool (or cooled). A lack of air is more likely to cause a blow-out..
    I Agree, just ask Firestone & Ford about the Explorer Tire Recall when Ford asked Techs to inflate tires to (I think) 23 PSI cold & they were causing blow-outs in hot weather... I Replaced Eleven-teen hundred perfect good tires because nobody would take responsibility for it... Thats why you cannot buy a new Ford to this day with a Firestone tire
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    🤔 Wouldn't inflating the tires to 45-50 PSI increase the chance of:

I pretty much run 45-50 PSI all the time. Check out this thread to see how my tires held up...

After 93,000 miles my original tires have finally worn out

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)