Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Knocking Noise

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Engine Knocking Noise

Hey everyone. I'm posting this here after being recommended to from reddit.

I have a 2015 mirage with 139000km. When I got it at 126000km it had a slight tick tick tick noise while driving. But only sometimes and not anything I was concerned about. Now it’s more prominent and louder and happens basically all the time. Is this concerning? I thought it was normal considering the little engine. But it seems to have gotten worse. Any similar experiences / advice? I want to take care of this car, ideally have it for awhile. But if this is a serious problem I’ll sell it probably

To clarify: It is engine noise. It's audible from outside and inside the car. It actually gets better at faster highway speeds i think.

I've heard this noise from other cars while at a red light. My friend is saying "told u so", as in he coulda guessed this car would have engine problems because it has to work so much harder to keep up with 4 cylinder engines.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does it happen at idle, in neutral, only during acceleration, or even when the car is just rolling with your foot off the gas?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    Does it happen at idle, in neutral, only during acceleration, or even when the car is just rolling with your foot off the gas?
    It happens at idle, during acceleration, and during rolling. Not sure about neutral bc I’m never in neutral

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any check engine light

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    Any check engine light
    No dash lights. I had it inspected ~15000km ago for safety certificate and mechanic didn’t see anything wrong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a car make weird engine noises once due to a broken motor mount. Do you have a video of the noise. There are some excellent mechanics on here that might have insight based on a video or sound

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    I had a car make weird engine noises once due to a broken motor mount. Do you have a video of the noise. There are some excellent mechanics on here that might have insight based on a video or sound
    I'll record a video and post it at some point. I'll probably take it to a mechanic to see if they can find anything I just don't know any trustworthy ones around me

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It’s not the classic exhaust rattle that’s in every Mirage is it? When you make the video, include the tachometer in the video you post. If you’re not super car savvy it could be an exhaust pipe rattling up near the engine. Mine rattles worst around 1500 rpm after a cold start.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Sounds like piston slap. I think there was a TSB in the US for this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    It’s not the classic exhaust rattle that’s in every Mirage is it? When you make the video, include the tachometer in the video you post. If you’re not super car savvy it could be an exhaust pipe rattling up near the engine. Mine rattles worst around 1500 rpm after a cold start.
    haha im glad my mirage isnt the only one with the exhaust rattle. this noise is a constant repetitive engine tick. ill post a video i took in some highway traffic from today, you hear it in the background. ill get a better video of the engine tomorrow with a cold start.