Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And you thought Mitsubishi dealerships were bad!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will check shortly for the steering lock. I only was referring to the ignition lock (where I insert the ignition key)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    I will check shortly for the steering lock. I only was referring to the ignition lock (where I insert the ignition key)
    I have never owned a push button start vehicle, but all my vehicles (past & present) had a key ignition that locks the steering wheel except my 2017 Mirage ES. I am not aware of any Mirage trim level having it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2021 ES has no steering lock but does have an ignition lock.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    My 2021 ES has no steering lock but does have an ignition lock.
    All Mirages with a key ignition have an immobilizer chip, & those are referred to an an ignition lock. So you are correct! I think Cobrajet was referring to the fact that Mirages don't have a steering wheel that locks up when the car is turned off. Sorry, we got on different wavelengths in our discussion.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-18-2022 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    All Mirages with a key ignition have an immobilizer chip, & those are referred to an an ignition lock. So you are correct! I think Cobrajet was referring to the fact that Mirages don't have a steering wheel that locks up when the car is turned off. Sorry, we got on different wavelengths in our discussion.
    Yeah, I guess every car with a key has an "ignition lock". I don't think any north american Mirages have a steering lock. Some in other regions do iirc. There's a thread about I'm sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Current data -

"Thefts of Kias and Hyundais really exploded in 2021. That year MPD saw 3,557 Kias and 3,406 Hyundais stolen compared to 469 Kias and 426 Hyundais in 2020. The Milwaukee-Waukesha area was in the top 10 cities in the U.S. for per capita car thefts in 2021." Sep 19, 2022

"Milwaukee first started experiencing the problem in fall 2020. By 2021, more than two-thirds of vehicles stolen in Milwaukee were made by Kia and Hyundai and more than half of the thieves caught were children. The city had more vehicle thefts than Chicago. Now Chicago is catching up. Year-over-year vehicle theft in the Windy City is up 767% according to CBS."

"The Seattle Police Department reports a 620% year-over-year increase. Omaha reports a 600% increase."

It started to be bad in Milwaukee with kids mostly, but it has become more of a national problem. Last two quotes taken from -

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2022/08/1...ional-problem/

I just drive manuals. No one even wants to borrow my vehicles when I tell them that.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here that there were American side engineers exclaiming from the highest hills to Hyundai leadership that releasing vehicles in this configuration was more than a bad idea, it was a TERRIBLE idea. But those guys just ignore the Americans. It happened while I was there rampantly. The Toyota mindset is HUGE on, "when in Rome, do as the Romans." Hyundai mindset is, when in Rome, F them we'll do it however we can do it the cheapest." I'll admit, the Kia side guys have a little better mindset to blend into the society they're in, but the Hyundai guys just bowl over them. Hyundai bought Kia in 1999, moved everybody in together (for the most part), and keep the Kia guys in their own team. But the Hyundai guys rule the roost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-19-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here that there were American side engineers exclaiming from the highest hills to Hyundai leadership that releasing vehicles in this configuration was more than a bad idea, it was a TERRIBLE idea. But those guys just ignore the Americans. It happened while I was there rampantly. The Toyota mindset is HUGE on, "when in Rome, do as the Romans." Hyundai mindset is, when in Rome, F them we'll do it however we can do it the cheapest." I'll admit, the Kia side guys have a little better mindset to blend into the society they're in, but the Hyundai guys just bowl over them. Hyundai bought Kia in 1999, moved everybody in together (for the most part), and keep the Kia guys in their own team. But the Hyundai guys rule the roost.
    7milesout, this one's for you!

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...inues-44497118

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We eere blessed with three KIA's that worked perfectly! 2004 Soul, 2014 and 2021 Sedona with no issues! Got out in time! Well, ONE issue with the Soul: the lying marketers fudged the EPA milage but, hey! We got reimbursed moola after the Korean suits got caught.

I DID SEE crates of engines at the dealer for customer Optimas.....
    Karl

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I wonder how their IVTransmissions are going to hold up? Too soon to tell but I'm curious if they went with chains instead of steel push belts?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Is this just joy riding bs? I can't imagine these kids are highly experienced car thieves with access to professional chop jobs? Those type of professional thieves don't just let any hood rat off the street, with a USB cord, steal for them.

I will say in Atlanta, police think there's a very organized set of different chop shops working in tandem for years.

Often it's repo guys trying to make extra side cash I've heard. It makes sense as I can't think of another profession that'd basically outline how to steal a car with ease.