Thread: Wheel Bearings

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Talking Wheel Bearings

Hi all

It's been a while since I was on here. I can't believe I've had my Mirage for over 2 years now!

I would say the car has been good to me without major issues (definitely love the amazing mpg these days). I've had the front brakes replaced and a couple of alignments, but those are expected. I recently noticed an issue with loud noise while accelerating (started at 50mph), did some googling and figured most likely a problem with the wheel bearings. Took it to the shop and they confirmed. Got 2 front ones replaced (and said goodbye to $700, ouch).

My car has 934000 miles now. From what I researched, it seems like it's within the common time for the wheel bearings to fail. Did you have to have yours done? And if so, at what mileage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think you added a zero to your mileage, if not then I only want to talk about that. I have yet to replace any, I have one mirage with about 180k mile and a new one with 18k mile

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Wheel bearing failures in Mirages are not unusual. If you own a Mirage long enough (especially beyond 100K miles), I think there's a reasonable chance that you may end up replacing one or both front wheel bearings.

My 2015 started making noise around 100K miles. At first I ignored it and wrote it off as tire noise. I'm at 115,000 now and it's just getting louder and more annoying. I'm going to have to replace the driver's side front wheel bearing shortly. I may just do both fronts. My rear wheel bearings are fine.

When I do this job I will do a how-to post for anyone thinking about doing it themselves.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I have had a few Mirages with a bad wheel bearing before 60k miles. I know we had one or two covered under warranty. For the most part you can get more than twice that long. My 2014 has 188k miles and as far as I know the wheel bearings were all original until a replaced the rear brakes(likely for the first time). I thought a front bearing was toast when I bought the car a year and a half ago but I too blamed it on tires, most the noise went away after replacing them but now I'm not sure if it's bearing noise or winter tire noise? I'll probably just order a set cause they're cheap from the rockauto.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    In these parts a wheel bearing, either front or rear, will cost about €30.- being about US$30.-

A universal wheel bearing puller set will cost hardly more than one bearing, and is good for pulling it out and getting the new one in. There are plenty of you tube videos how to do it, and most also apply to our cars.