Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Mirage Auto CVT code P285A

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question 2018 Mirage Auto CVT code P285A

So i have a 2018 Mirage SE. it has 160k miles on it (i do uber for a living) at about 100k miles the shifting was very rough it would shift kinda hard gears were slamming i guess is what you would call it. fluid was burnt so i took it to the dealer and had the transmission serviced. things were fine for about 10-20k miles after that. but then it started to slip when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and down shifting form 3rd to 2nd so i took it back to the dealer. they said they couldnt find any issues no codes every thing is fine.

this morning it finally threw a code as well as the "D" drive indicator was blinking, the car was then in limp mode. i grabbed my scanner P285A Clutch "b" low pressure. i cleared the code and it did come out of limp mode.

i searched the forums with some luck saying it was the clutch solenoid so i called up the dealer asked how much and where the solenoid was. their answer was "there are 3 solenoids on the case all 3 say "speed sensor" 2 are the same 1 is different". me thinking "Great thanks for nothing".

What i need to know is what solenoid do i replace? do i attempt to clean it first? and do i get another service done trans fluid is once again burnt.

The solenoids are in the valve body. Your dealer is looking up speed sensors for some reason. I get the same top-notch expert service at the nearby dealer.
    When they serviced it did they just pull the drain plug and fill it back up or did they drop the pan, change the filter in there and replace the cartridge filter on the side as well?

I don't recall having that exact code(it looks like it's an auxiliary gearbox shift issue) but have had some with drivability issues. Sometimes the fluid level is just wrong. Others I've torn apart and cleaned or replaced the valve body with a used one(I can't remember which ended up working) and got it working fine with no more issues years later.

There's a link to a service manual for a 2015 that might have some useful troubleshooting that applies to all years. They haven't changed a lot over the years and the transmissions are the same for all years.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-19-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thank you i actually found the technical service bulletin update from 2019 that states they are serviceable. here is a link to it.
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...62635-9999.pdf

not sure if i want to go head and drop 2k on parts for this car though and its on back order on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobSlayer View Post
    thank you i actually found the technical service bulletin update from 2019 that states they are serviceable. here is a link to it.
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...62635-9999.pdf

not sure if i want to go head and drop 2k on parts for this car though and its on back order on top of it.
    No, probably not the wisest financial decision. I'd either drive it til it drops or just replace it with a low-mileage used one. I picked one up with under 3000miles for $500 cad from lkq last year. Replacing one is just like any other automatic transmission. Remove bolts til it falls out, bolt in new one, add fluid. Drive. Or try car-part.com any year should fit from 2014-2018 and probably newer, I'm too lazy to compare part numbers on the mitsu sites.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-20-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    So i have a 2018 Mirage SE. it has 160k miles on it (i do uber for a living) at about 100k miles the shifting was very rough it would shift kinda hard gears were slamming i guess is what you would call it. fluid was burnt so i took it to the dealer and had the transmission serviced. things were fine for about 10-20k miles after that. but then it started to slip when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and down shifting form 3rd to 2nd so i took it back to the dealer. they said they couldnt find any issues no codes every thing is fine.

this morning it finally threw a code as well as the "D" drive indicator was blinking, the car was then in limp mode. i grabbed my scanner P285A Clutch "b" low pressure. i cleared the code and it did come out of limp mode.

i searched the forums with some luck saying it was the clutch solenoid so i called up the dealer asked how much and where the solenoid was. their answer was "there are 3 solenoids on the case all 3 say "speed sensor" 2 are the same 1 is different". me thinking "Great thanks for nothing".

What i need to know is what solenoid do i replace? do i attempt to clean it first? and do i get another service done trans fluid is once again burnt.
    Did you do any fluid changes before 100k miles?

I'd recommend Aamco, half their business is replacing CVTs in Nissans, so they will try to outsource a used CVT for you and plop it in. Expect labor to be around $1k to $1500, plus the cost of the used CVT7. Expensive but cheaper than the $6500 a dealer would of charged you. Also call around different Aamco shops, the privately owned ones will be more willing to do this type of work from IIRC.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'd recommend Aamco, half their business is replacing CVTs in Nissans, so they will try to outsource a used CVT for you and plop it in. Expect labor to be around $1k to $1500, plus the cost of the used CVT7. Expensive but cheaper than the $6500 a dealer would of charged you. Also call around different Aamco shops, the privately owned ones will be more willing to do this type of work from IIRC.
    This advice is brought to you by someone who has had their Mirage serviced by AAMCO. The endorsement isn't just internet blabbering.

There's a video around here somewhere of some transmission shop saying the valves or solenoids or whatever get clogged with CVT funk. I think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This advice is brought to you by someone who has had their Mirage serviced by AAMCO. The endorsement isn't just internet blabbering.

There's a video around here somewhere of some transmission shop saying the valves or solenoids or whatever get clogged with CVT funk. I think.
    I found a powerpoint made for some transmission rebuilder event that had a lot of info in it that is not in any other literature I’ve found. There are 3(?) solenoid filters in the valve body that look about the size of a thimble and a pressure control switch(?) that has a .003” hole in it that could EASILY get clogged. I saved the Powerpoint on my husband’s laptop that he is doing work on right now. If I can get on it later I’ll see if I can post it. It may have info and pictures that can help.

Edit: I'm on the laptop but the file size is too big, is there an easy-to-use hosting site so I can share it as a link?

Edit2: https://www.mediafire.com/file/gs8t0...RVICE.pdf/file
    Last edited by Princess_Bishi; 10-24-2022 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added link to share file

Mirage videos:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

klroger (10-25-2022)

How'd you make out with this problem? I have a 2017 throwing the same code and similar symptoms. It's got 278k miles(448xxxKM) on it. Fluid doesn't look terrible. I think I'll tear the valve body out, open it up and go from there. If it's full of grey shmooh I'll replace it with a used one with half the miles first.
    Mirage videos:

So...This car got pushed aside for the last week. I dropped the pan, opened up the valve body and cleaned it up. Didn't see anything wrong with it but there was a lot of grey shmooh in the pan. The magnets looked okay at first glance but as I was cleaning them up I found 2 tiny slivers of metal that looked like sewing needles. That's not a great sign...Otherwise no chunks or shavings. Looked similar to the 2014 cvt I tore apart from my own car. I tried to measure all the fluid that came out. Got about 2.5L from the drain plug(as per usual), and close to the same 2.5L from dropping the pan, pan filter and valvebody and letting it drip overnight. I didn't get a figure on how much fluid was trapped inside the valvebody while tearing it down, it wasn't much, maybe 1/2 cup or so. I just got it all back together and filled it up with 4L of fluid and ran it on the lift to get the fluid circulating...It didn't act very happy, wouldn't rev up in any gear, slow to rev in neutral then started sounding like it was running out of fluid so I shut it off instantly. Only ran it for maybe a minute tops... Gonna add the missing 1L of fluid and hope that makes it not act stupid anymore.

Mirage videos:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-05-2023)