Thread: Rear Camera Errors

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rear Camera Errors

I've started having issues with the reverse camera on my 2018 Mirage. Setting it in reverse shows an error on the head unit and no image comes through. This happens only sometimes - other times it works as expected.

Anyone else had any issues similar to this? I will disassemble this thing and have a look when I have a chance over the weekend. Not sure if I should expect it to be an issue with the camera itself or if water of something has gotten in somewhere and is causing an intermittent short. To be fair, I am probably overly enthusiastic while washing the car at the local touchless, do-it-yourself station.

I'd try wiggling the wires from the hatch to the roof first. Put it in reverse with the e-brake on first with the key on(obviously), watch the screen while you wiggle away. Might be a waste of time but it's free.

The only other complete guesses are the yellow fuse holder came loose in the fuse box(lh dash). Or maybe a plug on the back of the radio is coming loose?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-19-2022),PityOnU (10-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Earlier this week my fingernails were getting long enough to start annoying me, so before I trimmed them, I used my manly claws to quickly remove all the retainer clips on the panel in the rear hatch that covers where the camera connector is. A quick look in there and I found the connector coming from the camera (which is actually BOLTED in place - surprising!). That connector seemed pretty secure and is actually taped together, but I gave it a wiggle anyway.

I got back into the car and, on your advice, popped the little fuse box door to check that yellow fuse holder. A quick push on it revealed that it had indeed come loose - very loose.

Time will only tell the results (the dropping out was happening maybe once a week or so), but so far, no more camera issues!

With that in mind, thanks for the tip on that yellow fuse holder -> truth be told, I've been seeing some other, weird intermittent issues with the electrical systems increase in frequency lately. I wouldn't be surprised if a bad connection due to that stupid fuse holder was the culprit for all of them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (10-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My reverse camera errors have returned this winter and have gotten much worse. I think the unit may be dying.

Does anyone know the best/cheapest way to source a replacement reverse camera? Looking on eBay, I see used units from the sedan for like $40, whereas units for the hatch end up around $120. Anyone have any ideas?

In case it matters, my Mirage is the 2018 red hatchback.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    My reverse camera errors have returned this winter and have gotten much worse. I think the unit may be dying.

Does anyone know the best/cheapest way to source a replacement reverse camera? Looking on eBay, I see used units from the sedan for like $40, whereas units for the hatch end up around $120. Anyone have any ideas?

I recommend using car-part.com to locate a junk yard that has the part you want.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Backup cameras aren’t typically a part you’ll find on car-part.com same with things like door panel, wiper arm, radio bezel etc. if a part bolts to a commonly sold part, it’s usually sold as one unit. You could search up hatch and look under notes, see if anyone has one entered as “for parts”.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

Are you 100% sure the yellow fuse box is plugged in all the way? I only ask because I thought mine was at first, but it wasn't anywhere close to being shoved in completely. It was not pushed in completely upon delivery. You may have pushed it in slightly & solved your issues temporarily. When I finally figured it out, it shoved in a good amount.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2024)