Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage G4 Stuck in park

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I forgot to add, if you have push button start you may have wires to unplug at the front of your console? We don't have such fancy things on the fleet cars.
    Good to know. Yes it is a push button start. I'll look for those connectors. A mechanic friend I just talked to mentioned something about the cables going bad some times due to some tension/pressure thing inside wearing out. Still unsure until I take more things apart and get a better look at everything. Thank you for help!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Joe - You're a better mechanic than you think. But not as good an explainer as you think. I'm sort of lost. I can't tell if you're trying to say your friend is moving the gear shifter and you're watching the cable move? Or, if your friend is pushing / pulling the cable somewhere under the hood, and you're watching it move where it is connected to the transmission.

Mostly it sounds like there's still a chance something has come loose under the floor console at the shifter.

In any event, this is all good news. Your transmission is still working fine ... if it were not, that would be much more expensive.

Keep mechanicing with your friend helping, what you're doing is making good progress. And saving MEEEEELLIONS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Maybe if I get my garage cleaned out tonight I'll roll my turd-mobile in and try to make a video of how to remove the console(minus the part where the fast key thing stabs into the console when the battery is dead.) That's a big maybe but stranger things have happened.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm sorry for my lack of detail and explaining things. I really wish I knew my parts and had a better understanding of their names. I think it'll help me a lot and you guys as well. The best way to explain and to even show you is for you to watch this random video. This is not my car nor the same one. But the cable this guy is holding is the cable im talking about. Its connected to I'm guessing the transmission. https://youtu.be/Bqa4i08kDlM Pause at 35 seconds. That cable he's holding looks almost identical to the cable I'm talking about. And on the end of the cable (left) is where it connects to what I think is the transmission. I took the nut off that end of the cable that was connected to the transmission. What I was talking about with the car moving is it actually moving like someone put it in reverse. You can put the car into whatever gear you want by pushing that transmission lever that the cable was attached to before I undid it. We pushed that lever backwards one click which put it in reverse. I was in the car at the time and was able to reverse the car in my driveway. Then he put it into drive manually by moving the lever two more clicks and I was able to drive the car as if I shifted it using the gear shifter. I'm hoping that shed a little more light on what I'm talking about. Tomorrow I'll be taking apart the gear shifter console and looking in there to see if it's loose, broken or detached anywhere. The mechanic friend said I need a new cable. Basically that entire cable in the youtube video. Unless it's something easy such as a new bushing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've done a bit more research and I believe it's called a control cable that I may need. Which connects to the transmission lever and also the gear shifter in the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a video I made of my car and explaining my situation. https://youtu.be/t2yAYdg3Puc

Quote Originally Posted by Need4Joe View Post
    I've done a bit more research and I believe it's called a control cable that I may need. Which connects to the transmission lever and also the gear shifter in the car.
    The shifter cable(control cable) is different for every car, they're model specific. There's no universal fit cable that I'm aware of.

Again, you won't know what the problem is until you remove your console. I got distracted with beer and forgot about making a video last night.
    It appears that your transmission is shifting properly so that's a start. So when you move the shifter, the cable doesn't move under the hood right?
    I'd still pop the console off and take a look. I doubt the cable is broken. I'll try to find a shifter I have laying around and post some pics later(or Monday?). If your shifter is hooped and the cable is fine, hook it back up to the transmission and just move the cable from inside the car. It'd be ghetto as eff but if you're in a pinch and need wheels it's better than having to rely on someone to shift the car for you.
    And...once you do get it all figured out, you'll have to adjust the cable at the transmision. The transmission end of the cable fits into a slotted hole to allow for adjustment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes the cable does move when someone is shifting the nob inside the car. The cable would move forward and backward as it's being shifted. That alone leads me to believe it's not really the cable or anything under the console. But I am still going to take apart the console for a better look. Unfortunately there are no videos to teach me how to take it apart. So I'm going in blind. Thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe I should expound on moving. While being disconnected from the transmission lever the cable would move. However while connected and everything together, it won't move when being shifted.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Found the problem. Thank you Fummins and everyone else for your support. You guys were right. Here it is. https://youtube.com/shorts/CjIOf143SQ8?feature=share. Basically need a bushing. But no stinking autoparts store around here sells any. Anyone have recommendations on where to get a new one and how easy it'll be to replace?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Need4Joe For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-22-2022)