Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Insurance

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Geico here in Miami, FL

Barebones coverage costs me about $52 per month. And I mean BARE-BONES...... basically the state minimums. I would not recommend such a risky strategy to anyone else because if you are at fault in a crash you would have to pay out-of-pocket for Everything. Also would note that Miami, FL has very high rates in comparison to the rest of USA.

I have never been in a crash in my entire life, have never filed a claim and have credit score of 750 and am older than 40. I hate the car insurance mafia. Safe drivers like me are forced to subsidize the costs for bad drivers and for fraudsters. There is nothing "fair" about it and membership into this racket is compulsory.

I have paid over $30,000 over the course of my driving career into this crooked car-insurance system and have extracted not even a Canadian penny out of it. Im just making subsidy donations to the lead-foots, drunks and the fraudsters. While the insurance companies themselves make massive profits either way.

The whole system in USA is wack. The big SUVs and PickUps are the ones that make subcompacts less safe (because they crash into us). And yet instead of penalizing the bigger vehicles with additional taxes or fees (because they are bigger and cause more damage) the insurance companies choose to penalize the subcompacts for their inabilities to withstand the impacts.

The whole trend of bigger SUVS and Trucks makes subcompacts and motorcycles less safe. Do you see what is happening? They are trying to FORCE all of us to buy a big, gas-guzzling behemoth that depletes more of the planet's resources and that adds to traffic congestion and difficulty of parking. A RESPONSIBLE government would reward people that buy smaller and more efficient cars with tax/registration/toll credits or reduced fees. But that is not what is happening.

Instead the USA government is complicit in the trend to force people to buy larger vehicles and is encouraging the behavior. And the insurance companies as well...penalizing the responsible citizens like Mirage owners who are trying to conserve resources and to "do the most with the least". Its disgusting.

If anyone should be "paying extra" its the behemoths with their selfish choices.

Last edited by fc321; 12-11-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

I don
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 01:01 AM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I'm 25. Honestly there are so many "gotcha, we don't got to pay that because of X" in insurance fine print I don't see it as anything more than getting out of $500 tickets should I be pulled over. I'll take the cheapest proof of insurance card I can get.

The whole trend of bigger SUVS and Trucks makes subcompacts and motorcycles less safe. Do you see what is happening? They are trying to FORCE all of us to buy a big, gas-guzzling behemoth
    No thats people thinking they need to surf the road in their TV chair.
    The Kia Sephia if I'm not mistaken is one of the worst cars in safety rankings. Give me that and give some drunk driving leadfoot some "consumer reports most safety nannies #1 rated car" and I'd bet real money they'll hurt themselves first. Soldiers wear bulletproof vests not bomb disposal suits. The safest car is the one piloted safely. Equipment can only be bandaids.

If safety is paramount... Get the bombsuit, aka yourself a full size, wait for it, dumptruck, lol.

It's only a $500 fine for driving without insurance there?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First most insurance is a rip-off. Insurance companies aren't fortune 100s because they pay out. I got near minimum in NJ. I added a bit for damage because I don't want to be on the hook and the difference is like $5 a month for 10x the damage. One good part about NJ is they let you use your health insurance to pay for personal auto injuries saving money. In total with Geico I pay $295 for 6 months. About $49 a month. It would be about $250 at bare minimum. This is with about every discount they offer. Multi year good driver, Associate Discount (mention you own BRK B in an Index fund and they discount 5%), Passive Restraint, Defensive driver course, and lump sum payment discount.

I tried calling around to almost everywhere and could not find better prices. Some people swear by USAA but it was way higher. Even metromile with the minimum miles wanted to charge more than Geico. One place I called the guy even told me not to switch because it was so good.

When picking insurance you need to be honest with yourself. You can evaluate your own risk much easier than a company can.

1. Do you drink and drive?
    2. Do you do drugs?
    3. Do you use your phone and drive?
    4. Do you drive near the speed limit and drive safely?
    5. Do you slow down in bad weather?

These are the questions that truly matter that insurance companies have no way to know. If you answer them right you have almost no chance of causing anything more than a fender bender for not paying attention. This is why I upped the property damage a bit. Too many Teslas and Mercedes to not do this when this is the most likely scenario. The vast majority of serious claims/fatalities are drugs/alcohol related.

If doing drugs/alcohol and driving while checking Instagram is your thing buy some good insurance. The whole "you can't bleed a stone" idea is selfish and morally wrong if you injure people.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Liability insurance is relatively cheap, & a person should have that no matter what.

"Auto liability insurance coverage helps cover the costs of the other driver's property and bodily injuries if you're found at fault in an accident. ... If you have liability insurance, your insurance provider will cover costs for the driver's damaged car, minus your deductible, and up to your covered limit."

When my Mirage is 10 years old, I could care less about collision or comprehensive ("act of God") insurance. I can absorb the loss of the car. If I take out someone else's Lexus or injure someone in the process, however, that's an entirely different situation.

My 2000 Honda CR-V was rear-ended in 2013 by an older Chevy Tahoe. Both of our vehicles were totaled. The other driver was a fault & fined. We both had liability insurance, & that is all we had. I received a check for $5,900, and he was out an old Chevy Tahoe. He received nothing for his vehicle, but he was covered for the value of my vehicle. That's what liability insurance does for you. Even if you are a good driver, it's wise to carry liability insurance on any car (including an old clunker).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Our mirages are about 190.00 every six months for full coverage. We also are covered above state minimum.

[QUOTE=Mark;100470]Liability insurance is relatively cheap, & a person should have that no matter what.

"[B]Auto liability insurance coverage helps cover the costs of the other driver's property and bodily injuries if you're found at fault in an accident. ... If you have liability insurance, your insurance provider will cover costs for the driver's da
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I guess liability insurance isn't mandatory down there? You'd have to be soft in the head not to carry that. So if you're at fault then damage a $100000 tesla and the guy is out of work for 6 months, you get sued and the other driver gets screwed?
    Liability coverage is mandatory here and I assume throughout Canada. I think the minimum coverage is $2-500000? we carry a million. Not sure why, maybe just in case we take out someones mansion or do something else really really bad!
    Thankfully we get free health care, which is good and bad. I broke my leg years ago quading, had to pay for one ambulance ride but everything else was covered. The bad is the tards that have nothing wrong with them holding up people who actually are broken.
    I'll try not to vere too far off topic....
    Liability insurance is mandatory here. I do recall only about 10yrs ago here in WI you could roll around legally without insurance.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They wanted $230 a month here in Canada lol..full coverage.