Thread: A thank you to Foama and the wider Mirage community.

Country
    Scotland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

A thank you to Foama and the wider Mirage community.

I failed my annual MOT on a rotten and blowing exhaust. I'd also been struggling to pass the car through its last two MOTs due to the emissions being too high.

I had great difficulty in finding a new catalytic converter and exhaust from anyone other than Mitsubishi who wanted silly money for the parts and the parts were on back order so would have taken weeks to arrive. I put a post on here https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...haust-Scotland asking if anyone would be able to help. In the meantime I took to eBay and added a couple of catalytic converters and exhausts (from mainland Europe) to my watchlist thinking they were the correct parts. I sent a link to Foama of the parts and he confirmed they wouldn't fit. He also provided me with part numbers and a diagram of the exhaust and cat I should be looking for. I used this information to begin a query on Breakerlink car parts finder and the next day received only one quote response from a scrapyard 250 miles away that had the exhaust and cat for £300. I called them and asked them to send through photos which I compared to the diagram Foama provided me with and, upon that visual check on the condition of the parts, I jumped in our other car and made the 500 mile round trip to collect it. I asked a garage from outwith my area to fit the exhaust and cat which they did for £120. I took my car back for its retest and it passed with flying colours.

This isn't the first time I've had help from this forum and I'm thankful for it - and the users of it - for being around to help.

So a massive thank you to Foama and to everyone else who responds to anyone who posts a query here. You're all fantastic.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeUK For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (11-02-2022),foama (11-01-2022),Fummins (11-01-2022),inuvik (11-01-2022),Nifty_Biscuit (11-03-2022)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Great news its OK now, and glad to have been of help!

Flunking emissions tests is quite unusual for these cars, especially if they were maintained well...

Country
    Scotland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Flunking emissions tests is quite unusual for these cars, especially if they were maintained well...
    I do the servicing on my car myself at regular intervals and the plugs were changed at 100k miles. For some reason I seem to have gotten the one with a bad cat. The car's done 127500. Should be good for nother 100k or so 😁

Thanks again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Great post. Glad to hear your results!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)