Thread: Purchasing new with 150 miles. Concerned about missing break in period

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Purchasing new with 150 miles. Concerned about missing break in period

Hey all. I'm planning to purchase a new 2022 Mirage G4 ES with a 5 speed manual. They are nearly impossible to find in the Southeast, USA (having checked with about 50 dealers), but I finally found one.

I'm concerned about it already having 150 miles on it, especially being a 5 speed, as anyone could have redlined it or ran it at prolonged high revs.

The dealer initially stated that the car was purchased by someone, but then returned due to a title issue, and when I inquired further on it, he said that he was mistaken, and it had only acquired those miles due to test drives. This already makes me feel suspicious about the state of the car. He assures me that it has never had a registered owner, and that Mitsubishi's full 10 year warranty will come with the car once purchased. I'm willing to just ignore this peculiarity, I suppose.

However, the fact remains that the car has indeed been driven for 150 miles in an unknown way- mindfully, recklessly, skillfully, or clumsily.

How concerned should I be about this? How should I check for potential problems to the drivetrain? What does a proper break in period consist of following my purchase? What are the consequences of an improper break in?

I have to drive it a few hundred miles back home, and I was planning on taking back highways and county roads for a mix of speeds and revs, rather than straight interstate miles. Does this seem appropriate?

Thanks for any input. I'm excited to be apart of the family.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The more vehicles I own of various prior uses/ownership, the more I think "break-in" periods are overstated. It is doubtful that anything was done in the 150 miles to diminish the overall drivetrain life expectancy. You will get excellent use out of the mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I wouldn't be concerned either with only 150 miles on the clock. If it's never been titled and you are getting the original owner 10/100 drivetrain warranty I wouldn't be worried. If anything if you are that concerned you could get a oil change done but I think that's unnecessary. If you do remember only 3.2 quarts! Even Mitsu dealers have overfilled Mirage's at oil changes so beware of that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    First off, I think you should jump on it. 2nd, I wouldn't believe anything that dealer says about the car's history. I doubt the 150 miles are from customers. The bigger problem is from moron dealers driving it. I think the bigger concern would be the clutch over the engine, from moron salesmen driving it around. I estimate that any of us could take a Mirage and run it at full throttle for a full tank of gas and NOT do anything seriously detrimental to the engine. That is assuming the oil is good and full and the cooling system is in good operational order.

Nowadays, computers do a good job of stopping an engine from being abused. Now my old Scamp in the wrong hands, will fly apart. But that's old school.

As for the clutch, it's is easy to check, but I doubt it will have been abused even by the neanderthals employed by dealerships. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think all salesmen and saleswomen are morons and neanderthals. Only most of them. When you test drive it, get it up to about 45 mph in 5th, and then plant the throttle to the floor for as long as you can. Like going down an interstate on ramp. If the clutch doesn't slip, you're good to go. I doubt you'll have a single issue with that car.

I too think most break-in procedures are overkill. I bought mine and immediately put it out on the interstate for a few hundred miles. And mine runs like a champ, very strong, and I'm at 25k miles. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about backroads. Slap it out on the interstate, hit the cruise and let it be rollin' and enjoy the cruise.

The one thing I was concerned with and pleasantly surprised about. I acquired a 1990 Celica ST through the perils of matrimony. It was a 5 speed. It would turn 4,000 rpm at about 75 mph. It was a buzzy b@st@rd and annoying at 4,000 rpm. But the Mirage engine is oh so pleasant sounding at 4,000 rpm. The road noise is excessive, but acceptable for the cost to join the club.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoj View Post
    Hey all. I'm planning to purchase a new 2022 Mirage G4 ES with a 5 speed manual. They are nearly impossible to find in the Southeast, USA (having checked with about 50 dealers), but I finally found one.

I'm concerned about it already having 150 miles on it, especially being a 5 speed, as anyone could have redlined it or ran it at prolonged high revs.

The dealer initially stated that the car was purchased by someone, but then returned due to a title issue, and when I inquired further on it, he said that he was mistaken, and it had only acquired those miles due to test drives. This already makes me feel suspicious about the state of the car. He assures me that it has never had a registered owner, and that Mitsubishi's full 10 year warranty will come with the car once purchased. I'm willing to just ignore this peculiarity, I suppose.

However, the fact remains that the car has indeed been driven for 150 miles in an unknown way- mindfully, recklessly, skillfully, or clumsily.

How concerned should I be about this? How should I check for potential problems to the drivetrain? What does a proper break in period consist of following my purchase? What are the consequences of an improper break in?

I have to drive it a few hundred miles back home, and I was planning on taking back highways and county roads for a mix of speeds and revs, rather than straight interstate miles. Does this seem appropriate?

Thanks for any input. I'm excited to be apart of the family.
    Like some have already said, I wouldn't trust the dealer's story. The miles wouldn't prevent me from buying the car, however. If a new Mirage G4 manuals were sitting in every Mitsubishi dealer lot, I may feel differently.

The salesman said my new 2017 Mirage ES manual had 60 miles on it when he left their dealership. It was built in January, & I was buying it in October. They had to get it from another Twin Cities dealership. His drive to my house was 220 miles. I'm sure they did the interstate for some of that. It had about 280 miles on it when he reached my house. He also apologized for not arriving with a full tank of gas. Two White Bear employees drove 8 hours that day to deliver my Mirage & drive back. I paid nothing down prior to their arrival, & we did the paperwork for my Mirage in my kitchen. I wasn't going to complain about the mileage on the car or partial tank of gas. I'm not that much of a prick!

I like sharing my story, because I will no longer visit any car lot without knowing their OTD price first. I paid less than 66% window sticker for my new Mirage. Had I qualified for three $500 rebates (loyalty, VIP, & military), I would have paid less than 55% window sticker. I used my local dealer for a test drive, but I didn't waste their time or mine beyond that. My local dealer wanted $13,800 OTD for a 2018 ES manual & had no desire to look for discounted 2017. I knew their OTD price prior to my visit & just used them for a test drive. I paid $10,153.70 OTD for my new 2017 ES manual. If I had qualified for all the rebates, it would have been under $8,700 OTD for a brand new car!!!! This is why I own a Mirage!!!!

Times have changed drastically in the past two years or so. Sadly, deals like this no longer exist. After 2022 Mirage manuals will no longer exist, & I only buy manuals.

I wouldn't sweat the break period so much. I wouldn't run any races with it, but I may change the factory oil a bit early (1,000-3,000 miles maybe).

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    When I bought mine brand new in 2014, one of the first things I did was to undercoat and paint the exhaust and both axle-bodies. Then all cavities were treated with wax cavity spray. Once a year I look at it from underneath and touch-up anything that is not 100% perfect.

Today, 8 years later, the car has zero rust anywhere. Not even the exhaust is rusty. To me the effort was totally worthwhile!

There is a saying here that goes "Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you".