Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Toyota Wigo (aka Agya, Daihatsu Ayla) - new competitor to the Mirage in PH

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

2014 Toyota Wigo (aka Agya, Daihatsu Ayla) - new competitor to the Mirage in PH

The past few years have been good to Philippine small car fans. Just last week, Toyota launched its Wigo city-car, also known as the Toyota Agya or the Daihatsu Ayla.

Name:  post4453.jpg
Views: 19552
Size:  43.7 KB

http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-i...ine-debut.html
    http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/c...for-the-masses

Highlights:
    • Designed and built by Daihatsu in Indonesia
    • Price starts at Php 448,000 (about US$10,000). In comparison, the base model Mirage costs Php55,000 (US$1200) more
    • Powered by a 1.0L 3-banger, making 64HP and 85N-m
    • A bit smaller than the Mirage, but they both have the same wheelbase
    • Has a more downmarket feel (designed for the emerging markets, unlike the Mirage which is a global car from the outset)
    • Automatic transmission is a 4-speed auto (!) (Wonder why Toyota didn't equip it with a CVT, this is a minus in my book)

Definitely gonna be a hit. Toyota has over 40% of the local market, and this car is priced similarly to Hyundai, Suzuki, and Kia's small car offerings. I'd definitely be considering one if I was shopping for a new car. Here's hoping that Nissan and Honda bring their March and Brio to the local markets as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Looks very much like Toyota Aygo in europe. it will sell better than Mirage in Indonesia I think, Mirage is imported from Thailand which makes it an import car and has the import car price tag. Daihatsu and Toyota assembles the car in Indonesia so they don't have to pay import tax. Maybe it's the same in Philipines

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It is based on the Aygo; the 1.0L 3-cylinder engine is taken directly from it.

Minimal import tariffs across ASEAN, although some countries have high taxes on their cars such as Malaysia (foreign brands) and Singapore (cars in general). It's sure to be a hit around here because a) it's cheap and b) it's a Toyota, Filipinos are huge suckers for the T-badge. :grin:

That said, the Mirage is slightly bigger, more powerful, and for the automatic, more economical. Mirage buyers tend to be comparing between the bigger Toyota Vios, so I don't think it's a straight competition. On the other hand, this will kill the Kia Picanto, Hyundai i10, Hyundai Eon, and Suzuki Celerio, barring huge price decreases for those models.
    Last edited by Alpha_One; 02-23-2014 at 08:14 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    It is based on the Aygo; the 1.0L 3-cylinder engine is taken directly from it.

Minimal import tariffs across ASEAN, although some countries have high taxes on their cars such as Malaysia (foreign brands) and Singapore (cars in general). It's sure to be a hit around here because a) it's cheap and b) it's a Toyota, Filipinos are huge suckers for the T-badge. :grin:

That said, the Mirage is slightly bigger, more powerful, and for the automatic, more economical. Mirage buyers tend to be comparing between the bigger Toyota Vios, so I don't think it's a straight competition. On the other hand, this will kill the Kia Picanto, Hyundai i10, Hyundai Eon, and Suzuki Celerio, barring huge price decreases for those models.
    A ha ... thanks for the extra info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    • Price starts at Php 448,000 (about US$10,000). In comparison, the base model Mirage costs Php55,000 (US$1200) more
    • Automatic transmission is a 4-speed auto (!) (Wonder why Toyota didn't equip it with a CVT, this is a minus in my book)

Definitely gonna be a hit. Toyota has over 40% of the local market, and this car is priced similarly to Hyundai, Suzuki, and Kia's small car offerings. I'd definitely be considering one if I was shopping for a new car. Here's hoping that Nissan and Honda bring their March and Brio to the local markets as well.
    You have to love competition, even when it smacks up against your favourite player.

A similar thing has just happened in Canada: Nissan has announced they're going to sell the March/Micra here beginning this spring, and the bombshell is the price: $9,998! That undercuts the Mirage by more than $2000!

And like the Wigo, the automatic is a 4-spd automatic. (Ironic, considering Mirage & Spark use Nissan's JATCO CVT.)

Looking at total cost of ownership, even with worse fuel economy the Micra holds the lead for a very long duration (kms/miles driven).

It'll be interesting to see how the other companies respond, in both countries. I can't see Mitsu selling very many more $12k Mirages here with a $10k competitor on the scene.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    I think it's a completely different class of car. No way it would compete with the Attrage (sedan Mirage). It's just a cheap city car.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Chris, I gave up on that disussion. People always compares cars of different class. The worse part is that LOADS of ppl kinda accept that. They always said "but it's comparable in price" which is a huge bull****! It's like comparing an overpriced (just an unrealistic example) Mirage to a comparable base version of a (too low priced) BMW 5 series V6, "but it's comparable in price" ..... yeah right ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    But since the Wigo is a mini-compact, don’t expect it to have the riding comfort of a subcompact or compact car, particularly over potholes and other road surface imperfections.
    Then Mirage is still winning over this car BY FAR!! I really can't feel uneven or stony roads (road made from putting stones next to each other instead of asphalt) in Holland. Potholes are no problem as well.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Uhm... BMW V6?

I think you mean I6, right?