Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New member, ordered the Space Star this week, should get it soon!

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

Post New member, ordered the Space Star this week, should get it soon!

Hey ho everyone!

I'm finally going to get my own first car soon and the lucky girl is the Mirage/Space Star (It's called Space Star here) currently waiting for her to arrive to the dealership I ordered her from, she already landed in port which is pretty far and should be getting checked out and fitted out I believe, I should get her in a week or two I believe.

So I little bit of pointless history of my life, skip if you don't want to hear my ****ty NPC backstory

I used to work as an HVAC Technician and Electrician for mid-sized service company for a few good years so I never had to buy my own car since the workplace gave all techies a Renault Kangoo, a nice work horse of a car, even fully loaded with equipment, 2 ladders on top and AC parts, the thing carried itself well enough.

However about a year ago I decided I had enough after developing a dual Inguinal Hernia, and at age 27 that was quite a shock for me, went through surgery, it sucked, getting back to work wasn't easy and I couldn't see myself doing this type of work anymore, so I left the job, used all my cash to go through a web development bootcamp and then a cybersecurity bootcamp, after some hardwork and soul crushing months of job hunting I managed to land a cybersecurity job, I'm currently a SOC Analyst and I quickly realized not having a car really F'ing sucks, it's starting to rain hard here and public transportation always sucked here, now with the rain, trains constantly have issues and get delayed and I don't want to be constantly late for work and having to get up at 5AM just to make it on time sucks.

So, I went online to look at the cheapest cars available, I obviously started with second hand cars, looked over at some old Hyundai i10's and i20's
    however anything around the price range that I could afford was always super old, beaten up and had tons of miles on them, I was worried about taking a gamble on any of the cars I went to see, they were way too beaten up, engines sound like they were going to give up on living at any moment and the owners looked like people who didn't care about their cars..

So I started to look at new cars, and boy oh boy with the economy today and how the world is, all new cars were super expensive, I was starting to lose hope, until my Father came up and let me know he knows someone who works at a Mitsubishi dealership and that they said they have a bunch of cheap, reliable, super fuel-efficient cars for sale right now and that we should come take a look today because tomorrow this car model is going to get another price increase.

We went, sat down with the agent and they point to the 2022 Mitsubishi Space Star SE (the one with the red lines up front) and they tell me they can make a good deal for me, low monthly payment 3 year plan, full bumper to bumper warranty and free yearly inspections at their dealership garage, this really was an amazing deal, I went to look over at the car, loved its looks and what it had to offer for its price.

Now I didn't get to actually drive one, they didn't have one sitting in a garage waiting to be test driven, just the one on the 2nd floor for showcase, so I had to quickly check online about how the car actually is.

And well.. I found out 2 things, sub reddit r/cars REALLY hates this car, like, mega hate boner levels, you'd think this car murdered every user's family over there or something just by how much they loved to **** all over this car, and lots of reviews online also said it's a ****box and to stay away.

But then I thought i'd look for forums or subreddits dedicated to actual owners of this car, one of them was this place right here, and I quickly found out that almost everyone who actually owns and drives this car, actually loves it, or at least, doesn't think the car is going to murder them or something, or blow up trying to get off a ramp into a high way.

after reading a hell of a lot of posts talking about the car and users here going over their experience with it, I realized this is exactly the car I need, a car that is just that, a car, a vehicle that will take me from point A to point B, reliably and without eating at my pockets each time I started the car.

I signed the deal and ordered a "diamond white" SE edition of the car just like the one I saw at the floor showcase/display.

Now I'm sitting here, legit giddy about getting to drive it, I really hope it's going to be exactly how so many people say it is, the bad and the good, some said it's almost like a Go Kart, well I really hope it is because that sounds like a real hoot to drive.

I promise to post pictures when she arrives!

I also ordered a few decals for her because I think it's hilarious to take a slow econobox and slap rally type decals on it, anyone who doesn't know what this car really is will assume it's a rally car just because of how it looks

Edit'

Forgot to mention it's the CVT version

btw I would appreciate any tips on taking care of her, I think I remember reading that fluid change every 50K~ is a must, anything else besides that?

Last edited by Trixie_I; 11-10-2022 at 01:29 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixie_I For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-11-2022),inuvik (11-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    for the CVT, Id recommend fluid changes every 25-30k 50ks pushin it a little especially if its hot where you are, I bought my 2022 G4 CVT in June, i just passed 10,000 miles (US) yesterday, Its a great little car. Cheap but good

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMPG For This Useful Post:

Trixie_I (11-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie_I View Post
    Hey ho everyone!

I'm finally going to get my own first car soon and the lucky girl is the Mirage/Space Star (It's called Space Star here) currently waiting for her to arrive to the dealership I ordered her from, she already landed in port which is pretty far and should be getting checked out and fitted out I believe, I should get her in a week or two I believe.

So I little bit of pointless history of my life, skip if you don't want to hear my ****ty NPC backstory

I used to work as an HVAC Technician and Electrician for mid-sized service company for a few good years so I never had to buy my own car since the workplace gave all techies a Renault Kangoo, a nice work horse of a car, even fully loaded with equipment, 2 ladders on top and AC parts, the thing carried itself well enough.

However about a year ago I decided I had enough after developing a dual Inguinal Hernia, and at age 27 that was quite a shock for me, went through surgery, it sucked, getting back to work wasn't easy and I couldn't see myself doing this type of work anymore, so I left the job, used all my cash to go through a web development bootcamp and then a cybersecurity bootcamp, after some hardwork and soul crushing months of job hunting I managed to land a cybersecurity job, I'm currently a SOC Analyst and I quickly realized not having a car really F'ing sucks, it's starting to rain hard here and public transportation always sucked here, now with the rain, trains constantly have issues and get delayed and I don't want to be constantly late for work and having to get up at 5AM just to make it on time sucks.

So, I went online to look at the cheapest cars available, I obviously started with second hand cars, looked over at some old Hyundai i10's and i20's
    however anything around the price range that I could afford was always super old, beaten up and had tons of miles on them, I was worried about taking a gamble on any of the cars I went to see, they were way too beaten up, engines sound like they were going to give up on living at any moment and the owners looked like people who didn't care about their cars..

So I started to look at new cars, and boy oh boy with the economy today and how the world is, all new cars were super expensive, I was starting to lose hope, until my Father came up and let me know he knows someone who works at a Mitsubishi dealership and that they said they have a bunch of cheap, reliable, super fuel-efficient cars for sale right now and that we should come take a look today because tomorrow this car model is going to get another price increase.

We went, sat down with the agent and they point to the 2022 Mitsubishi Space Star SE (the one with the red lines up front) and they tell me they can make a good deal for me, low monthly payment 3 year plan, full bumper to bumper warranty and free yearly inspections at their dealership garage, this really was an amazing deal, I went to look over at the car, loved its looks and what it had to offer for its price.

Now I didn't get to actually drive one, they didn't have one sitting in a garage waiting to be test driven, just the one on the 2nd floor for showcase, so I had to quickly check online about how the car actually is.

And well.. I found out 2 things, sub reddit r/cars REALLY hates this car, like, mega hate boner levels, you'd think this car murdered every user's family over there or something just by how much they loved to **** all over this car, and lots of reviews online also said it's a ****box and to stay away.

But then I thought i'd look for forums or subreddits dedicated to actual owners of this car, one of them was this place right here, and I quickly found out that almost everyone who actually owns and drives this car, actually loves it, or at least, doesn't think the car is going to murder them or something, or blow up trying to get off a ramp into a high way.

after reading a hell of a lot of posts talking about the car and users here going over their experience with it, I realized this is exactly the car I need, a car that is just that, a car, a vehicle that will take me from point A to point B, reliably and without eating at my pockets each time I started the car.

I signed the deal and ordered a "diamond white" SE edition of the car just like the one I saw at the floor showcase/display.

Now I'm sitting here, legit giddy about getting to drive it, I really hope it's going to be exactly how so many people say it is, the bad and the good, some said it's almost like a Go Kart, well I really hope it is because that sounds like a real hoot to drive.

I promise to post pictures when she arrives!

I also ordered a few decals for her because I think it's hilarious to take a slow econobox and slap rally type decals on it, anyone who doesn't know what this car really is will assume it's a rally car just because of how it looks

Edit'

Forgot to mention it's the CVT version

btw I would appreciate any tips on taking care of her, I think I remember reading that fluid change every 50K~ is a must, anything else besides that?
    Welcome and great first post!

These cars are hated by most. They sure don't handle like a go-kart so be prepared to be disappointed in that department. Otherwise, I don't have much bad to say about them.

There are a couple of transmission filters that can be changed. There are a bunch of threads about it around the forum. 50k km cvt service is what I try to stick to. If it's really hot where you drive then maybe change the fluid more frequently.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Thanks fellas, ill make sure to ask the guys at the dealership what they recommend for the climate here because it is usually rather hot around these parts!

I'm obviously trying to keep my expectations rather realistic, it is a super cheap econobox that most of the internet hates so I'm expecting to drive it and feel the "cheap" so to say, but I'm hopeful it's still fun to drive because there must be something to it if some amount of people say it's fun around town.
    I heard she has a certain amount of body roll on turns? perhaps some people find that to be a certain "fun" factor?
    we'll see.

I'll report my own experience once I finally get her, I can already see myself hate-loving it, calling it a junk car but then giving it a hug.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Hey Trixie - Great post. I think you're going to love your car. As for driving like a go cart, my opinion is, sort of yes, and sort of no. If you're thinking it will rip around like a go cart can, then no, if you are imagining the go cart feel to be sort of a not-a-lot-of-frills basic ride, then yes it would be go-cartish. I also own the flagship Lexus luxury sedan. And yes, the Mirage feels go-cartish to me compared to the Lexus.

Does it rip around? No. But in a way, it is like a go-kart in the following way. The other day there was a parade going on so the police had blocked off my normal way home. So myself and the lady in front of me had to turn around to find another way. She was in a land barge Suburban (all by herself) and didn't even get 90° sideways in the road in the process of turning around. I just turned left, did a 180° turn in the road and drove away. She was watching out her window because when I turned I was sort of moving in her direction as she sat almost sideways in the road fumbling with her column shifter, which got her attention. I'm betting she wished her land barge would move like that.

I've read a lot of bad about the Mirage, but have experienced none of it. I even read that the Mirage was so slow, it wasn't appropriate for American roads. That's got to be the dumbest thing ever published about the Mirage. There are tons of vehicles slower than a Mirage! I guess every tractor trailer needs to be removed from American roads. All older VW bugs, 70's and 80's entry level type cars. The majority of drivers (and article writers) expect to accelerate from a dead stop like they're Big Daddy Don Garlits. And if the car they're driving is not capable of pulling the front tires off the ground, it is inadequate. And they must feel like they have to have an "image" of "success." The more money they waste on a car, the more successful they must feel. BTW - I stole my Lexus for ~3/8ths of its original selling price, and it only had 13,800 miles on it! I *try* to not waste money on cars, but I do waste some.

I think you made a wise choice for your first car, and welcome to the forums!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Welcome to the forum, Trixie!
    I also think you made a wise choice. Bought mine new in 2014. A 1.0L manual transmission model. I had not driven or even seen one when I bought it either. Thoroughly applied cavity wax in all cavities, painted both axle-bodies and the exhaust when it was new. Its not much work at all when its new, but becomes a real lot of work to do it later! Today there is totally no rust, not even on the exhaust. I would recommend doing the same if you intend to keep it for a long time. Saves you a lot of money for spare parts in the long run.
    These cars hold up rather well to the test of time. It certainly does pay off with any car to keep a look at all fluids, and to ensure proper maintenance is done timely before it gets late. You will not need many spare parts at all during your car's life, but if you do need something, Mitsubishi part prices are expensive. If this is your very first car, it might make sense to have an experienced driver ride with you now and then, to trim your driving skills. Body parts are also expensive, so it is very good not to need body parts or a body shop. These cars are not race cars but very economical to operate. Its fun to see the fuel consumption display go to very low levels. Mine usually needs around 3.something litres per 100km. I'm almost sure you will be happy with it for many years, just as I am.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I'll add one more thing about my Lexus versus my Mirage. Even though I purchased my Lexus at ~3/8ths its original purchase price, I've lost more value on that car, than I paid for my entire Mirage!

You tell me ... which one of those 2 cars is the better value? It's just a shame that blowing money on rapidly depreciating cars is viewed as a sign of success, versus blowing much less money on a depreciating asset.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I hope you'll enjoy your Space Star at least as much as I do mine.

I like driving cars that you don't see at any corner of the street.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Trixie, Shalom! Welcome to the club. You're car is perfect for those tight ancient streets of the Levant. If you're in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem, you'll really appreciate the parking and fuel economy. Considering we have state counties in the US, larger than Israel, you won't be driving no where near the amount of km we do here, unless of course you're doing deliveries or ride share. My point being you'll get ALOT of years out of that Space Star. You're biggest concern is the HVAC system. The compressor isn't Mitsubishi heavy industries made unfortunately, but by an outsourced French company, so don't be surprised if that's your main issue, but I digress, you won't have to worry about that for years.

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Hey Dirk, thanks for the welcome, hope you're doing better, I remember reading a post about you getting in a car accident and wrecking the car.

And yeah I do work in tel Aviv so I'll have to drive there for every work shift, car should be perfect for that, I live in Ra'anana which isn't far, about 20 minute drive from tel Aviv so I won't even have to be on a highway for long, heck even if I did, you can't really go fast on most highways here except maybe highway 6 because the government is currently putting lots of money into creating bus lanes everywhere, so speed limit has been reduced from 100km/h to 70 in lots of areas

Not that anyone really follows that tho.. Israeli driving has been known as a jungle for a long time😅