Thread: Been averaging 58mpg+ Just rolled 10,000 miles 2022 Mirage G4 ES CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wink Been averaging 58mpg+ Just rolled 10,000 miles 2022 Mirage G4 ES CVT

If traffic conditions are right and i can keep between 55-60mph on my 33 mile highway run to work, I have seen upwards of 62.5mpg indicated on the cluster I coast hills if possible (basically i drive without ever touching the brakes, even in heavy traffic) and disable cruise on inclines, Tires are also all at 42psi and the oil is changed every 3000 miles lol. I've also removed the snorkel/silencer on the intake which seems to of made a very tiney difference in economy, Even with the cluster probably being off accuracy wise, Calculating for that still nets 53/58mpg

Attached Images Attached Images   

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMPG For This Useful Post:

Basic (11-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I haven't heard of removing the snorkel. Did you get that from here in the forums?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I get readouts like this cruising @55mph (58mpg) in my hatch w/ CVT. However, it was generally agreed on by the forum that my swapped dash cluster was reading out Imperial gallons instead of USA gallons. Imperial gallons are ~20% more than USA gallons. 58mpg Imperial is something like 48-49mpg USA.

48-50mpg is around the (anecdotal) max when not doing any hypermiling tricks with these cars (still pretty damn good). I'm curious if you get this MPG in both directions? I've driven into the hills getting in the mid-30's mpg in the past, only to come back down and actually have my cluster show a blank reading (>99.9mpg) for a decent portion of the trip back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

7milesout (11-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good info PityOnU - I recently did a nearly 1,000 mile interstate sortie. I went from Atlanta metro to near Baton Rouge, LA and back. Now, the interstate is not a Mirage's strong suit. But it sure ain't no slouch if you ask me. I ran a speed that was "theoretically" to keep me at 40 mpg (I think it was about 73 mpg, an indicted 75 mph on the speedo). On the way down there I did quite a bit better. About 44 mpg. On the way back I ran about 38 mpg. Overall I averaged 40.8 mpg. All these are real numbers from the miles and pumped gallons. I thought that was pretty darn good.

But nowhere near the numbers the OP is seeing. Speed makes a difference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I haven't heard of removing the snorkel. Did you get that from here in the forums?
    Saw a few forum posts (mostly about the rattling issues) and thought id give it a shot lol.
    Last edited by MrMPG; 11-10-2022 at 07:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I get readouts like this cruising @55mph (58mpg) in my hatch w/ CVT. However, it was generally agreed on by the forum that my swapped dash cluster was reading out Imperial gallons instead of USA gallons. Imperial gallons are ~20% more than USA gallons. 58mpg Imperial is something like 48-49mpg USA.

48-50mpg is around the (anecdotal) max when not doing any hypermiling tricks with these cars (still pretty damn good). I'm curious if you get this MPG in both directions? I've driven into the hills getting in the mid-30's mpg in the past, only to come back down and actually have my cluster show a blank reading (>99.9mpg) for a decent portion of the trip back.
    I usually read a bit better heading to work then heading home (56-60mpg heading to work and 48-53mpg heading home) but im usually traveling a little faster (62-65mph) heading home as traffic is up my arse lol. If you can run 55mph steady thats where this thing really shines mpg wise, Its at like 1700rpm and just glides down the road.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Good info PityOnU - I recently did a nearly 1,000 mile interstate sortie. I went from Atlanta metro to near Baton Rouge, LA and back. Now, the interstate is not a Mirage's strong suit. But it sure ain't no slouch if you ask me. I ran a speed that was "theoretically" to keep me at 40 mpg (I think it was about 73 mpg, an indicted 75 mph on the speedo). On the way down there I did quite a bit better. About 44 mpg. On the way back I ran about 38 mpg. Overall I averaged 40.8 mpg. All these are real numbers from the miles and pumped gallons. I thought that was pretty darn good.

But nowhere near the numbers the OP is seeing. Speed makes a difference.
    Yeah I laugh my ass off when I see "automotive experts" reporting the Mirage isn't highway worthy because it doesn't sound like a bank vault on the highway. I'm guessing the vast majority of these click bait "writers" weren't even born in the 80s, so have no idea how loud my old 89 Accord was on the highway or my 99 Altima.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Or my wife's 1990 Celica ST 5-speed. It turned 4,000 rpm about the same speed as the Mirage does. The difference is, the Mirage engine sounds pleasant and happy to do 4,000 rpm all day. The Celica's engine sounded like it was spinning apart, and like it either wanted to be floored so it could race, or to be let off of so it could slow down. It just didn't seem pleasant anywhere near 4,000 rpm. And the Celica was louder at 4,000 rpm.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (11-14-2022),inuvik (11-14-2022)