Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Ontario (just ordered 2023 manual Mirage - never driven one)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Hello from Ontario (just ordered 2023 manual Mirage - never driven one)

Hi all,

After an extensive search in Ontario and Quebec, I was finally able to locate a 2023 Mitsubishi Mirage. I put down the deposit yesterday, and should be getting my little manual transmission commuter early in January 2023.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-12-2022 at 02:04 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigMW For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-18-2022),inuvik (11-12-2022),MetroMPG (11-12-2022),twister77 (11-12-2022)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Nice! congrats on your new purchase! i've ordered mine recently as well, it's a 2022 SE edition, in white, no pics yet, still waiting to get her, hopefully next week ill get a call to pick her up!

which trim level and color did you get?

anything specific you liked about the car?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixie_I For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-12-2022),inuvik (11-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie_I View Post
    Nice! congrats on your new purchase! i've ordered mine recently as well, it's a 2022 SE edition, in white, no pics yet, still waiting to get her, hopefully next week ill get a call to pick her up!

which trim level and color did you get?

anything specific you liked about the car?
    Hey, I got the base model with a manual transmission, in gray.

I like the car's simplicity, it reminds me of my 1999 Suzuki Swift

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

many questions...

Welcome, BigMW!!

A 2023 manual is a rare beast on this side of the world. Mitsu is no longer offering the manual in the States.

Please drive it gently, change the fluids regularly, get it rust-proofed (my 8 year-old Mirage already has holes in it: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)) ...

And then sell it to me in about 8 years!

Did you get a chance to test drive one?

What part of Ontario are you in?

Do you still have your 99 Swift? I've still got a 98 Firefly & just sold my 2000 Metro last year!

So many questions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, BigMW!!

A 2023 manual is a rare beast on this side of the world. Mitsu is no longer offering the manual in the States.

Please drive it gently, change the fluids regularly, get it rust-proofed (Thread: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)) ... and then sell it to me in about 8 years!

Did you get a chance to test drive one?

What part of Ontario are you in?

Do you still have your 99 Swift? I've still got a 98 Firefly & just sold my 2000 Metro last year!

So many questions.
    Thanks for the link, I will be sure to check it out.

I'm hoping to keep the mirage for a lot longer than 8 years, sorry! ��

I never drove one, not even sat in one. I know, crazy. Bought it over the phone, sight unseen. Never did that before.

I'm in northeastern Ontario, Kirkland Lake.

I wish I still had the swift. Got rid of it once, sold to a friend, when I needed a bigger vehicle. Then I got it back from him when he didn't need it anymore. I also lent it out for a couple of years to my poor cousins. But when the floor and the exhaust rusted out, I couldn't find any reasonably priced replacement parts, and I sold it the final time.

Edit: it had less than 150k kms when I let it go, at around 2010, so you understand why I still regret that decision.

I never drove one, not even sat in one. I know, crazy.
    Yes, you are a crazy person. Headline: Crazy Person Buys Worst Car in the World Over Telephone!

Seriously though: the car is essentially a more refined Swift. Same basic formula (small, light, modest power), but quieter, safer, more creature comforts, more power, better fuel economy, with an unusually soft suspension for a small car (so it rides very smoothly). I think the Swift handled better and had more engaging steering. It'll be very interesting to see your impressions when you finally drive it.

I'm in northeastern Ontario, Kirkland Lake.
    Embarrassed to say I've never been - closest was Sudbury. The only thing I know about Kirkland Lake is the town advertised itself like crazy as an affordable retirement "destination" to Southern Ontarians. (Did it work? Were you over-run with Torontonians? )
    But when the floor and the exhaust rusted out...
    Yes, the Swift/Metro/Firefly chassis had some serious rust-prone design flaws. So you understand the importance of rust-treating the Mirage. So far, I haven't seen any fatal flaws as bad as the Swift's, but it's made of very thin metal and won't last long once tin worm sets in.

What are you driving now?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-12-2022)

PS: hope you don't mind I added a few words to your thread title. Will get a few more eyeballs on it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes, you are a crazy person. Headline: Crazy Person Buys Worst Car in the World Over Telephone!

Seriously though: the car is essentially a more refined Swift. Same basic formula (small, light, modest power), but quieter, safer, more creature comforts, more power, better fuel economy, with an unusually soft suspension for a small car (so it rides very smoothly). I think the Swift handled better and had more engaging steering. It'll be very interesting to see your impressions when you finally drive it.

Embarrassed to say I've never been - closest was Sudbury. The only thing I know about Kirkland Lake is the town advertised itself like crazy as an affordable retirement "destination" to Southern Ontarians. (Did it work? Were you over-run with Torontonians? )

Yes, the Swift/Metro/Firefly chassis had some serious rust-prone design flaws. So you understand the importance of rust-treating the Mirage. So far, I haven't seen any fatal flaws as bad as the Swift's, but it's made of very thin metal and won't last long once tin worm sets in.

What are you driving now?
    You might be thinking Elliot Lake, as a retirement town. Kirkland Lake is a mining town, it was in the headlines bunch of years ago for wanting to accept Toronto's garbage, by train. There was some stiff opposition along the way, so Toronto had to develop a better recycling program, and send garbage to Michigan (I think).

Currently I'm driving a Toyota Tacoma, not an ideal commuter vehicle. I love it though, and plan to keep it forever, for all the other stuff I do.

Oh, you're right (Elliott Lake.) But what's worse, getting Torontonians or Torontonians' garbage?? (HA! Sorry, Torontonians. I was actually born there.)

Smart to save the truck for truck things.

How far away is the nearest Mitsu dealership?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh, you're right (Elliott Lake.) But what's worse, getting Torontonians or Torontonians' garbage?? (HA! Sorry, Torontonians. I was actually born there.)

Smart to save the truck for truck things.

How far away is the nearest Mitsu dealership?
    LOL, I lived in Toronto also. I don't miss the traffic there, at all.

Nearest Mitsubishi dealer is in Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, 80 or so clicks from me, but I'm buying from Barrie. They are the ones who found me my mirage, and offered a half decent deal.