Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People really love to hate these cars

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    That comment by huskers12 tells us he has no idea!
    In the EU Mitsubishi is known for its reliability, higher than most famous and very expensive luxury cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Also, welcome to the club where those of us that drive a car that won't blast away from a traffic light like we're Big Daddy Don Garlits, are considered poor, lame, disgusting road impediments.

Not until gas hits $10 per gallon in the U.S. will the Mirage become favored by some.

It's uncanny ... I have a couple vehicles that can really blow away some fuel. Yet, I drive them like I'm driving Miss Daisy to try to use them as efficiently as is possible. But even in my old 1972 Plymouth Scamp that can really tear off the line, even if I leave a traffic light at a decent clip, the soccer mom beside me alone in her QX80 leaves me WAY behind. Only to coast up beside her at the next traffic light she's been sitting at waiting on me. The old Scamper, I can't manage to get much more than about 13.5 mpg around town, on non-ethanol gas, which costs me about another $1 per gallon. So, I drive it on a limited basis, and generally driven very conservative.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Also, welcome to the club where those of us that drive a car that won't blast away from a traffic light like we're Big Daddy Don Garlits, are considered poor, lame, disgusting road impediments.
    I won a street light 100' drag against a Fusion the other day. The fusion was spining away when the light turned green... I pulled away like a normal person but looking like I had 300hp and awd lol These things shine in some slippery conditions. It triggers race car drivers big time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One time (in band camp), I was stopped at a traffic light in my 2004 Corolla 5-speed. A racecar compared to the Mirage. There were 3 lanes going my direction and I was in the center lane. The lane to my right was merging into my center lane about 1/4 mile ahead. Along came a BMW 318, or whatever is about the slowest BMW. His was about the same age, mid-2000s (from memory). Generally noone goes in that lane unless they're crossing the intersection and turning right, or trying to pull ahead of the pack when the light turns green. I suspected the latter.

I didn't want him to realize I was going to try to thwart his efforts so when the light turned green, I hit it with minimal over-rev and optimal clutch gription. And I hit it just right, and it launched about as hard as that car would launch without spinning the front tires, as soon as the clutch was fully engaged my foot went to the floor. However, he launched virtually identically. We ran neck to neck until he shifted to 2nd, and I pulled ahead (he had better gear than me and he had RWD).

I shifted to 2nd after he did and I barked my front tires with him starting to pull back even, his window down. I bet he was getting panicky at this point hearing those tires bark. We pulled even again for a while and he shifted to 3rd. His shift was good and he barely lost ground. When I finally hit 3rd he began to ease past me by very little. Ultimately I let off because we were at like 70 mph, his lane was ending, if he tried to merge left we would have made contact, or else he was going to have to run the breakdown lane to eventually create a gap. And there weren't no sense in that, it wasn't a race for life, or for fame & chicks. It was just interesting. But, I bet he was embarrassed a Corolla could stay right with his fancy Bee-Em-Dubya.

Subsequently the wife removed that car from existence expressing her driving skills. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-16-2022),inuvik (11-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    LMAO that's awesome And yeahh im very much aa right lane cruiser, (58-62mph on the freeway to work and back) and big toe away from green lights, keeping the engine under 2,100 rpm with the cvt, Even doing the slight lift on the gas pedal to get that low to high/1-2 range shift in early lol. So far I've done 250miles on my current tank and it just dropped to exactly half, Not too bad. Using the CVTz50 app (best app ever for these cars) to monitor fuel milage, fuel level, Engine and CVT temps/pressures cvt fluid degradation and hourly fuel consumption. (Getting that consumption down is like the ultimate game lol. Cruising on the freeway im between 0.5-0.7 gallons per hour

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrMPG For This Useful Post:

Wil B (11-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if that app would work well for the 3 pedal Mirage units?

People online can be really toxic, especially on social media. That's partly why I've avoided it for years, my mental health is more important.

People on the roads can be really poor drivers. Sometimes it's hard to avoid them, i try to just move out of their way and let them pass. It's not worth it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I wonder if that app would work well for the 3 pedal Mirage units?
    it may to some extent, But im not for sure, It should just be able to give engine readout info without the cvt, but it was designed to connect to the cvts tcm before giving engine stats, So it may just error out, It works well though, this is a screen recording of the app off my phone with the video from my dashcam during a trip to or from the gym. Not perfectly synced but you'll get the idea

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)