Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Question on 14-15 vs 17+ CVTs

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes, it sounds like we're in very similar situations. I'll be retiring soon from my job, but I have other big career plans after that!

However, during the transition period, I'm going to be pretty poor, so I'm trying to implement my "Mirage Plan" as I get closer to pulling the trigger on retirement.

My kids are grown and gone, and make their own car decisions, so I don't have to worry about that.

I'm in a better position than you on the wife front, though-- my wife is totally unpretentious and, like me, is kind of embarrassed to be seen in anything too flashy. On top of that, she is terrified of driving anything big. She's driving a 2018 Honda Civic Sport hatchback now, and her biggest complaints are that 1) she's tired of driving a stick, and 2) it's too big!

When I told her about the Mirage Plan last month, I was interested in how she would react. I played the Doug Muro video for her so she could get a feel for how badly the Mirage is looked upon.

Knowing how she thinks, I wasn't surprised when she told me that she was in love with the car! Like me, she kind of likes the underdog that everyone is dumping on. Plus, the fact that it's tiny and an automatic made her want to trade the Civic the next day on a new Mirage!

Her first car was a '79 Ford Fiesta that she bought used in 81. She loved that car and drove it for more than 10 years before it finally wore out. She said the Mirage reminds her of that car, and she's very excited to get one!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Rogers For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
    Yes, it sounds like we're in very similar situations. I'll be retiring soon from my job, but I have other big career plans after that!

However, during the transition period, I'm going to be pretty poor, so I'm trying to implement my "Mirage Plan" as I get closer to pulling the trigger on retirement.

My kids are grown and gone, and make their own car decisions, so I don't have to worry about that.

Her first car was a '79 Ford Fiesta that she bought used in 81. She loved that car and drove it for more than 10 years before it finally wore out. She said the Mirage reminds her of that car, and she's very excited to get one!
    I spotted one of those for the first time at my old work(junkyard) this June Attachment 24426
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-17-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice! Coincidentally, my Dad had a '79 Fiesta as a company car. I drove it quite a lot and loved it!

So, like my wife, I feel that the Mirage has some nostalgic Fiesta vibe to it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post

I'm in a better position than you on the wife front, though-- my wife is totally unpretentious and, like me, is kind of embarrassed to be seen in anything too flashy. On top of that, she is terrified of driving anything big. She's driving a 2018 Honda Civic Sport hatchback now, and her biggest complaints are that 1) she's tired of driving a stick, and 2) it's too big!

When I told her about the Mirage Plan last month, I was interested in how she would react. I played the Doug Muro video for her so she could get a feel for how badly the Mirage is looked upon.

Knowing how she thinks, I wasn't surprised when she told me that she was in love with the car! Like me, she kind of likes the underdog that everyone is dumping on. Plus, the fact that it's tiny and an automatic made her want to trade the Civic the next day on a new Mirage!

Who would have guessed that Doug DeMuro's Mirage review would have had that sort of impact on someone?

Actually, your wife is not the only one. Some of things Doug slams on the Mirage others embrace. For example, extra space in the engine bay. How is that a bad thing? We've heard others react to his review in the same way. American car snobs are just that & not much more.

We've been slamming Doug over his Mirage review for a couple years now. Sounds like your wife can join our club!

I think those of us old enough to remember owning/driving cars with less than 70 horsepower adapt to the Mirage quite well. The fuel injectors in today's car make them so much better, too. My 1978 Honda Civic Wagon had a hand choke on the dash, & it did have carburetor issues at times. I don't miss older vehicles with carburetors. I do miss affordable, base models vehicles, however.

You will most likely get a good trade in value for your 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback, & that will take some of the sting out of today's higher Mirage prices. In that regard, that makes total sense. I would just make sure your wife drives a Mirage before making the trade. She's most likely giving up 100 horsepower in the transaction, & for her that may not be a big deal at all.

I bought my Mirage a couple years before I retired from teaching/coaching. I still do driving lessons part-time, however. I thought about pursuing another career right away, but I haven't really needed to do that. I even went to truck driving school and got my class A CDL. I have options if I want to go that route.

Everyone's situation is different. I wanted an affordable, reliable, economical daily driver that my daughter & son-in-law could borrow when they visit the States. My main vehicle is a 2011 Forester 2.5X manual, & I don't want to replace it any time soon. The 72,000+ miles I have racked up on my 2017 Mirage are miles not going on my Forester. I've put about 12,000 miles on my Forester since my Mirage purchase. I would like to go 10-15 years without a vehicle payment, & I believe my Mirage will make that happen.

For a number of years, I had considered a used Toyota Echo. I like the basic Echo, but I think it being a sedan prevented me from buying one. Discovering the redesigned 2017 Mirage was good timing for me.

I don't know if others feel this way, but I sort have a guilt free feeling whenever I am driving my Mirage. I know that I am driving one of the more affordable, economical vehicles on the planet. I find some contentment in that.

When I am driving my Forester, I am usually tugging a trailer or dealing with nasty winter roads. I feel justified in owning it, too. I bought my 2011 Forester 2.5X manual with 15,000 miles in 2013 for $17,000. I think it sat on a dealer lot in Milwaukee, because it was a manual. Overall, it's been a good value, too.

I think you & your wife will enjoy the Mirage, & it sounds like you may become a couple like Dirk & his wife (owning two). If nothing else, the Mirage has a really nice forum! I visit it quite often!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Fummins, that Fiesta is nice looking. It is a lot like the Mirage, cept the lack of 2 doors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fummins, that Fiesta is nice looking. It is a lot like the Mirage, cept the lack of 2 doors.
    That car looks WAYYY to nice to be in a junk yard. In Salt Belt Ontario, that car would be one of the nicer ones in the parking lot. Someone needs to save it
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    That car looks WAYYY to nice to be in a junk yard. In Salt Belt Ontario, that car would be one of the nicer ones in the parking lot. Someone needs to save it
    Looked pretty good from the top. Kinda crusty in some important(ish) area's. Nothing a little carboard and spray foam can't fix.

I don't know if it's still there or even if was being parted out or what the story was. Attachment 24427Attachment 24428
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-17-2022 at 08:13 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Who would have guessed that Doug DeMuro's Mirage review would have had that sort of impact on someone?

Actually, your wife is not the only one. Some of things Doug slams on the Mirage others embrace. For example, extra space in the engine bay. How is that a bad thing?

Totally agree! Space in the engine bay is (for me) the biggest plus of a Mirage! Another thing he rags on is exposed screws. Again, to me that's perfect! I want to be able to easily take things apart and put them together.

We've been slamming Doug over his Mirage review for a couple years now. Sounds like your wife can join our club!
    Yep!

I think those of us old enough to remember owning/driving cars with less than 70 horsepower adapt to the Mirage quite well.

That's true for me-- I actually like low horsepower cars. And I own three Corvettes! Just sold one and will be selling the other two shortly as well as a 1990 Daytona Shelby VNT that I have. I'm thinning the herd vehicle-wise in preparation for my next stage in life.

But the point is that I know horsepower, but I also see the fun in low horsepower cars.

You will most likely get a good trade in value for your 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback, & that will take some of the sting out of today's higher Mirage prices. In that regard, that makes total sense. I would just make sure your wife drives a Mirage before making the trade. She's most likely giving up 100 horsepower in the transaction, & for her that may not be a big deal at all.
    Yeah, no problem there. She actually hates it when cars have a lot of power! By her own admission, she's a terrible driver and even the idea of a car having a lot of horsepower scares her. She has this fear that she'll push the gas pedal of a powerful car and it will somehow go careening out of control.

Totally irrational, but that's what she fears and thus is very comforted if her car is low horsepower. No matter what car she drives, she drives it like an old lady, so I don't think she'll even notice a horsepower change, and if she does, she probably will prefer it to be lower.

Everyone's situation is different. I wanted an affordable, reliable, economical daily driver that my daughter & son-in-law could borrow when they visit the States. [...] I would like to go 10-15 years without a vehicle payment, & I believe my Mirage will make that happen.
    Same same strategy here-- I want something cheap, reliable, and easy to work on. And to not have any payments!

I think you & your wife will enjoy the Mirage, & it sounds like you may become a couple like Dirk & his wife (owning two). If nothing else, the Mirage has a really nice forum! I visit it quite often!
    Agree!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Doug Decrapo's idiot Mirage hate video is what caused me to fall in love with the Mirage. If it hadn't been for his video, I would probably still not know the Mirage exists.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...r-Attrage-2017

I still have the old cvt from my 2014 sitting in the corner of my garage for some reason. Maybe I'll attempt to make a vijeo of tearing into it one day? It still worked but didn't like to upshift sometimes. Maybe a sticky solenoid in the valvebody?
    And here’s a bit of what’s inside

Mirage videos:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-24-2023),Top_Fuel (01-28-2023)