Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question on 14-15 vs 17+ CVTs

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Excellent! Can't wait to see the next installments!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Rogers For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm another one who is, not embarrased, but annoyed if I drive some pretentious car like an Aston Martin or hell, even a $90,000 Armada. I briefly owned a Ford 2005 Ford Gt. While I really appreciated what went into the making of that car, god, Ford got everything right and made a supercar that put any other car of that era to shame, I always felt like I was on display when I drove it. Late one night on a deserted hiway I opened it up and was astonished to see 203 mph on the Garmin GPS. The speedo was reading 212 mph or so, wildly off. I only backed off when the thought of hitting a deer or coyote hit me as I was content to keep driving @200 mph. I sold it shortly after that episode and my spouse told me I got all I wanted that car and it was time to move it on.

I'm proud to drive a Mirage in this era and personally feel those driving pretendmobiles are sad sacks with something off in their lives.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
    Excellent! Can't wait to see the next installments!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great video-- interesting that there is nothing obviously wrong. Also a little disconcerting as I figured if I had one of these and it broke, I would go ahead and rebuild/remanufacture it. In this case, I'm not sure what I'd do to fix it.

Mitsubishi revised its service manual last year. Now in some cases, they recommend inspecting the belt and if it looks good then replace the valve body. I wonder how many cvt's have been replaced because of valve body problems?

I've had luck prolonging the life of at least one cvt by just replacing the valve body. Iirc, I tore the entire thing apart and had to clean some input bearing of it before installing it but it's still running today with over 410,000kms.
    This may have been the case with my car. If I wasn't already replacing the engine I might have looked into just replacing the valve body. I didn't see the point in messing with the old cvt after finding one at LKQ with 2500km for $500.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-27-2023 at 07:11 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting-- and I believe it's the case that the valve body can be changed without transmission removal, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
    I believe it's the case that the valve body can be changed without transmission removal, no?
    Yeah, that’s correct.

Mirage videos: