Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter tires in Canada - where can I find them?

I got picked to source out tires for some of my inlaws...They've been running the same Motomaster snow tires each winter on their suv since 2013. They still have tread left but look like they're 10 year old tires and are cracked to chit...Right meow quattro offers a 10% discount on orders over $500. I'm gonna end up driving the Mirage again this winter by the looks of things so I'm looking for new tires for it.

So far I found some dirt cheap options.
    165/65r14:
    There's these Rotella directionals for $55/piece!
    (I've been running a set of different style rotella snow tires since 2020, no problems with them).

Next cheapest is these Momo that has a better tread pattern (imo)at $63/piece

That's all I'd buy in that size from that company, the other offerings are "4 season" tires and the dunlop snow tires at $130/piece. No thanks....

Next up is 175/65r14(which I'm currently running)
    There's a whack of options from $65-$140. I won't list them all, or any for that matter. Here's a link though. https://www.quattrotires.com/dimensi...nter/175/65/14

The other size which I have mixed opinions on is 185/60r14. Technically the oe 4.5" wide wheel is an inch too narrow for this size but I've been installing them for 9 years now without any issues throughout the fleet. I usually prefer narrow tires for winter, mainly for times when you're on the highway and you come across an unplowed section of deep slush. Narrow tires cut through and are less prone to hydroplaning. But, I haven't seen or heard any problems from drivers. The times I drive work cars around in the winter, they seem fine to me. I do feel like they make the car feel a little more planted on the highway. Could be a placebo effect though.
    There aren't as many choices in this size right now. A year ago there were many more options.
    https://www.quattrotires.com/dimensi...nter/185/60/14

Right meow I'm thinking of ordering the Momo 165's because $254 for 4 tires all in to my door(with 10% discount bundled with other tires I plan to order).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've bought Rotalla's from Quattro a few times. They exceeded my expectations for the money. For the Mirage, I'd personally go with the 175 over the 165.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-06-2023)

Yeah, that's probably good advice. A little extra height is never a bad thing, it brings the speedometer a little closer to reality too. But $60 is $60, I'm cheap. The only reason I ended up with 175's in the first place is because they were the cheapest tires with a tread design that I liked at the time Worst case I have a set of summer tires to burn off, for the next 3 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And, the 165 are probably a bit better in deep snow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If your on the east coast www.thetireman.ca

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah, that's probably good advice. A little extra height is never a bad thing, it brings the speedometer a little closer to reality too. But $60 is $60, I'm cheap. The only reason I ended up with 175's in the first place is because they were the cheapest tires with a tread design that I liked at the time Worst case I have a set of summer tires to burn off, for the next 3 years.
    I would go cheap & not think twice about it.

165 vs 175 doesn't change the fact that you're still driving a Mirage!