Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear ABS ring question......

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Rear ABS ring question......

I want to transfer my existing rear bearing and ABS tone ring/reluctor from an old worn brake drum to a new drum.

The bearing is something I've done before but the last tone ring replacement I did was on my old Smart fortwo, a totally different setup.

These Mirage rings are new to me, has anyone (successfully) transferred these magnetic rings from an old drum to a new one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wanna know what dickhead is selling drums without bearings in them already. The OE ones I order at work come with bearings, even the cheaper second-line ones I sell have bearings.

Silly question but do you have the new drum on hand and have you confirmed that it has no bearing or magnetic ring?

Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    I want to transfer my existing rear bearing and ABS tone ring/reluctor from an old worn brake drum to a new drum.

The bearing is something I've done before but the last tone ring replacement I did was on my old Smart fortwo, a totally different setup.

These Mirage rings are new to me, has anyone (successfully) transferred these magnetic rings from an old drum to a new one?
    Yeah I've done it a few times. Just use a pry bar and give it a good whack to pop it off it off. As for reusing the old bearing...I'd just source some dirt cheap ones from the rockauto or parts avatar. Make sure they go back in the correct way.

Work was able to source some dirt cheap drums with bearings and studs installed already. They were around $30-50 wholesale iirc. I'll try to get the part number tomorrow.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

strawboss (11-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mirthmobile View Post
    I wanna know what dickhead is selling drums without bearings in them already. The OE ones I order at work come with bearings, even the cheaper second-line ones I sell have bearings.

Silly question but do you have the new drum on hand and have you confirmed that it has no bearing or magnetic ring?
    Yup, I called the local NAPA store & they said "in stock for $125 plus hst" I went down and verified in person, no bearing, no abs ring either
    Last edited by strawboss; 11-06-2023 at 10:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah I've done it a few times. Just use a pry bar and give it a good whack to pop it off it off. As for reusing the old bearing...I'd just source some dirt cheap ones from the rockauto or parts avatar. Make sure they go back in the correct way.

Work was able to source some dirt cheap drums with bearings and studs installed already. They were around $30-50 wholesale iirc. I'll try to get the part number tomorrow.
    I'm leery of hitting the rings too hard I guess, as the rings are really nothing but fancy magnets....my science theory was too well taught I guess, I'll look at the drum tonight after supper.

Edited to add; I just checked the abs ring & It looks like I could pop them off like you describe, I think I have a small two jaw gear puller somewheres that might work as there's a ridge/collar beneath the ring.

I would appreciate the info on those drums of yours, thanks.
    Last edited by strawboss; 11-07-2023 at 02:45 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey Strawboss, I don't think the rings are magnetic, I think the sensor has the magnetic part in it & the toothed part of the ring passing the sensor is what sets up the frequency that the module sees to determine the wheel speed. If there is a crack in the ring that makes the distance between a couple of the teeth of the ring different from the rest, it will see that as the wheel stopping before others when slowing down. At least that was the way the system worked when I was on the wrenches a few years ago... Might be different now tho... Dunno...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Hey Strawboss, I don't think the rings are magnetic, I think the sensor has the magnetic part in it & the toothed part of the ring passing the sensor is what sets up the frequency that the module sees to determine the wheel speed. If there is a crack in the ring that makes the distance between a couple of the teeth of the ring different from the rest, it will see that as the wheel stopping before others when slowing down. At least that was the way the system worked when I was on the wrenches a few years ago... Might be different now tho... Dunno...
    The ring you may be thinking of is like the ring that was used on my Smart fortwo, a castellated arrangement.
    The ring used in the Mirage is smooth.
    I noticed some black powder adhering to the ring must be the metal worn off of the drum by the friction material, hence my conclusion the ring is a magnet.I believe the sensor that reads the ring is called a Hall Effect sensor.
    Here's a photo....before cleaning I could see the pattern of magnetic "teeth" where the iron filings stuck to the ring, a neat effect.
    Name:  IMG_20231106_220614.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  97.9 KB
    Last edited by strawboss; 11-07-2023 at 02:36 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks Strawboss. I see now it's a different design then I've worked on before. I have to apologize for my last post, I hope I didn't confuse people...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

It's not a solid magnet. It's tougher than it looks. Prying it off gently will just bend the shat out if it. Best method is quick. Use the edge of the drum as a pivot point for pry bar, give the end a whack it'll pop right off. Make sure to use a relatively sharp or square edged pry bar or the coating will just scrape off.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

strawboss (11-07-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    ...before cleaning I could see the pattern of magnetic "teeth" where the iron filings stuck to the ring
    Here's an old photo someone posted where you could see the metal filings standing up on the magnetic portions of the ring...

Name:  toothed.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  41.6 KB

They make a tool for seeing the pattern in a magnetic ABS ring. If you have a minute of time to waste, you can check out THIS video. This is a front wheel bearing, but the principal is the same on the rear bearing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

strawboss (11-07-2023)