Thread: New heater core arrived

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts

New heater core arrived

Here some pix of the new heater core that arrived this morning.
    It is a heavy sort and coated with tin all over. The hoses are to be fastened with the supplied clamps, sealed with one O-ring each. It also comes with some self-adhesive foam strip, presumably for sealing the closed regulator flap. The name of the brand and part number are clearly visible below.

The manufacturers home page:
    http://www.thermotec-autoparts.com/

Alternative source that ships to the States:
    https://www.trodo.com/heat-exchanger...motec-d65003tt

Maybe I'll post a HOWTO when I get to putting it in, and have a look at the muck clogging the original part.

Name:  626.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  719.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  96.4 KB

Last edited by foama; 11-23-2022 at 03:39 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-23-2022),daleWV (11-25-2022),mohammad (11-24-2022),R01k (11-25-2022),Top_Fuel (11-23-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hello All,
    For the purposes of participating in the heater core issue, i bought an infrared thermometer.

Ambient temp 65F, max fan speed, max heat, max outside air, vent sets to the face position. Temps left to right were 178f, 182f, 179f, 173f.

For reasons i do not know at low fan speeds(settings 1 and sort of setting 2) the amount of air coming out of the passenger side is much less than the other 3 vents.

Also I do not understand why this car has rear feet vents, it feels like a waste to me, I have also realized that as Daox originally pointed out, the reason the electric heat feels inadequate to me is because 3/4 the heat is going to vents that dont hit my feet and another portion of the heat is being wasted going out the vents by the side mirrors.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello All,
    For the purposes of participating in the heater core issue, i bought an infrared thermometer.

Ambient temp 65F, max fan speed, max heat, max outside air, vent sets to the face position. Temps left to right were 178f, 182f, 179f, 173f.

For reasons i do not know at low fan speeds(settings 1 and sort of setting 2) the amount of air coming out of the passenger side is much less than the other 3 vents.

Also I do not understand why this car has rear feet vents, it feels like a waste to me, I have also realized that as Daox originally pointed out, the reason the electric heat feels inadequate to me is because 3/4 the heat is going to vents that dont hit my feet and another portion of the heat is being wasted going out the vents by the side mirrors.
    Looks like your heater core is OK.
    My cheap infrared thermometer for body temp/object temp is good enough and does the job.
    The heat going to the side mirrors is to prevent them fogging up.
    The rear vents, or rather vent canals can easily be blocked by putting a piece of sponge inside, and unblocking later is just as easy. If I want the heat to go to my feet, I simply turn the adjustment knob.
    On mine, the passenger side gets just as much air as the driver side. Maybe take the glove box out and look if some piece of duct is dislocated?