Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Mirage ES upgrade sound with subwoofer

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2022 Mirage ES upgrade sound with subwoofer

Just recently purchased the car and chose the one without the Rockford sound system and kinda regret it. Looking up information about upgrading has been a hassle and was wondering if anyone has any videos or pictures of them installing a subwoofer or buying the rockford and installing it. Thanks again and honestly the sound system isn’t too bad I just want a little more bass!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Generations of engineers have racked their brains for lowering noise level! Low frequencies are a particular challenge. Want more noise inside? Certainly not for me, but then, people have different preferences.
    I'm more concerned if the radio is good enough to pick up BBC4 in eastern Europe on 198kHz long wave, and it does that well.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I have one picture, which shows all the cabling, but it was from when I added sound deadening to the car:
    Name:  zonder interieur.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  97.1 KB

So to explain:
    I've got power from the battery, added a fuse to it (close to the battery) and run the cable to the amp under de drivers seat through the cable clips under the door and added another easy to pull out fuse close to the amp. Then I ran a cable from the amp to the switch in the dashboard (EU models don't have the traction control switch).
    I changed this later to get a switching 12v source from the radio, so it doesn't drain my battery.
    For everything else: Since our radio doesn't have a rca output, I bought a device that converts high-level audio signals to low-level audio, and fed that into the audio input of the amp. For this I took the signals from both rear doors. The ground wire is connected to the lip where the jack is held after I sanded that down.
    And last but not least, I have run a thick audio cable to the back where my sub is so that it can be connected.
    Hope it helps!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Notxes View Post
    Just recently purchased the car and chose the one without the Rockford sound system and kinda regret it. Looking up information about upgrading has been a hassle and was wondering if anyone has any videos or pictures of them installing a subwoofer or buying the rockford and installing it. Thanks again and honestly the sound system isn’t too bad I just want a little more bass!
    Adding a powered subwoofer is easy. Plenty available on the market, and anything is going to be better quality than what comes from the factory. That's what I did.
    I notice you're in the US - if you don't have a car audio shop near you that needs your business, then crutchfield.com is an excellent rescource.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 88coltturbo For This Useful Post:

ylekot (01-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are several posts about adding the direct fit Mitsubishi Rockford kit and other customer systems.
    I installed the Mitsubishi Rockford subwoofer kit and Rockford door speakers with baffles.
    It sounds like a premium factory sound system should. I think I had under $800 in all of it.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I installed a ported 8" jl audio microsub from my last car link. It's made the car way more enjoyable since i can't hear any of the rattles and road noise when the music is up 2/3.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    There are several posts about adding the direct fit Mitsubishi Rockford kit and other customer systems.
    I installed the Mitsubishi Rockford subwoofer kit and Rockford door speakers with baffles.
    It sounds like a premium factory sound system should. I think I had under $800 in all of it.
    Stupid question maybe but what are these "baffles" of which you speak? I would LOVE to go all R/F and get decent if not downright good sound. Are you using the factory stereo unit? Did you add any amplification other than what the sub box comes with?

Thanks, sorry for the questions but it's really the only thing that I REALLY want to upgrade.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post126424

hERE IS MY POST # 49

I have the factory head unit and these rockford speakers in all doors.
    The rockford/mitsu kit comes with a 5 channel amp that tees into the factory wiring harness.
    I actually used the fast rings not baffles- I had forgotten. similiar means to the same end

Install is done.
    I started with RF door speakers: https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r165x3/
    They have a 91dB sensitivity rating. I used the scosche adapter rings and wiring adapters I found here on other posts.
    I also installed Road Kill fast rings for improved midrange response. Had to modify due to the door brace right behind the speaker.
    Just changing the door speakers made the system better and louder with the OE headunit.
    After installing the Mitsu/RF system it definitely sounds good. Maybe not competition worthy but definitely like an OE premium stereo kit should sound.
    Biggest issue I had was getting the bezel from around the head unit out. I made a very minor scuff on the dash. I should have used masking tape for protection at the trim tool fulcrum. Also when I did get the bezel out I damaged the edge of the head unit in a few spots where the bezel retainers mate to it.

If anyone needs the adapter for the thumb drive to the amp, I have two now. $5.00 shipped

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

ylekot (01-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...l=1#post126424

hERE IS MY POST # 49

I have the factory head unit and these rockford speakers in all doors.
    The rockford/mitsu kit comes with a 5 channel amp that tees into the factory wiring harness.
    I actually used the fast rings not baffles- I had forgotten. similiar means to the same end

Install is done.
    I started with RF door speakers: https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r165x3/
    They have a 91dB sensitivity rating. I used the scosche adapter rings and wiring adapters I found here on other posts.
    I also installed Road Kill fast rings for improved midrange response. Had to modify due to the door brace right behind the speaker.
    Just changing the door speakers made the system better and louder with the OE headunit.
    After installing the Mitsu/RF system it definitely sounds good. Maybe not competition worthy but definitely like an OE premium stereo kit should sound.
    Biggest issue I had was getting the bezel from around the head unit out. I made a very minor scuff on the dash. I should have used masking tape for protection at the trim tool fulcrum. Also when I did get the bezel out I damaged the edge of the head unit in a few spots where the bezel retainers mate to it.

If anyone needs the adapter for the thumb drive to the amp, I have two now. $5.00 shipped
    Thank you! I think this is the way I want to go for my car. All designed to work together and with the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm assuming the factory Rockford box mounts in the trunk of the G4 just like it does in the hatchback. I cannot find any pictures of it mounted in a G4.