Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screeching sound when turning the ignition key to Start position

Country
    Belgium
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

screeching sound when turning the ignition key to Start position

Hello,
    I have a Mirage ES (Invite) CVT, 1.2., 2018 model, bought new in 2019 and has currently 2500 miles (4000 km).

Since I have arthritis in my hands, I can't rotate the ignition key at once from Lock to Start. Instead, I turn from Lock to ON (2nd position), I release my hand and turn to Start.
    Since doing like this, there is sometimes a screeching sound when I twist from ON to Start, the noise lasts 2 seconds and stops after I release the key and the engine starts. I always make sure to release the key right after the engine starts. The car is fine the rest of the day.

I suspect it is because I turn the key too far to the Start position which would be like reengaging the starter while the car is already running. Is it possible or it is not possible because the ignition switch is designed to turn so far and then stop resulting in a controlled start no matter how you turn it ?

I have had this screech 5 times last year. I wonder if it could already have damaged the teeth on the flywhell and on the starter of a new car?

Here is a youtube video I found that has similar screeching sound at start up to mine. The sound starts from minute 1:00 to 1:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa92IYHjWOk&t=68s

Thank you.

Last edited by Charlot; 12-12-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Are you able to post a clip/video of the noise? I'd hope it wouldn't be a flywheel problem. These cars have an antigrind(I think that's what it's called) feature that kills the starter once the engine is running. I recall reading about a few early 2014 Mirages with Flywheel problems but they seemed to be relatively rare.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Charlot (12-04-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlot View Post
    Hello,
    I have a new Mirage ES (Invite) CVT, 1.2. Thank you.
    Just asking, is it a "new to you" older unit, or as in a new 2022. If it's an older unit ( or even newer), check the alternator belt tension. They can make cool noises if they are a little loose. As Fummins posted the issue with the starter may be a cause. If It's a newer unit, talk to the dealer for a warranty repair as it may be covered under your warranty... Post your year & Milage to let the Team help out!!!
    Last edited by klroger; 12-02-2022 at 01:31 AM.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Charlot (12-04-2022),Fummins (12-02-2022),Mark (12-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Just asking, is it a "new to you" older unit, or as in a new 2022. If it's an older unit ( or even newer), check the alternator belt tension. They can make cool noises if they are a little loose. As Fummins posted the issue with the starter may be a cause. If It's a newer unit, talk to the dealer for a warranty repair as it may be covered under your warranty... Post your year & Milage to let the Team help out!!!
    I would suspect a loose drive belt, too. If so, an easy fix!
    Last edited by Mark; 12-03-2022 at 06:52 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Charlot (12-04-2022)

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are you able to post a clip/video of the noise? I'd hope it wouldn't be a flywheel problem. These cars have an antigrind(I think that's what it's called) feature that kills the starter once the engine is running. I recall reading about a few early 2014 Mirages with Flywheel problems but they seemed to be relatively rare.
    I will try to record the noise but it is not easy because it does not happen every day nor at each start up. Last year, it occurred 5 times knowing I used my car only once a week. It is a 2 seconds screech at start up and the car is fine the rest of the day.

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    My car is a 2018 model, bought new in 2019 and has now 2500 miles (4000 km).

I would first like to have an idea of the cause of the problem before going to the dealer. If I have damaged something by turning incorrectly the key, it might not be covered by the warranty. Also, the screeching sound does not happen everyday nor at each start up to show the dealer. Last year, it occurred 5 times knowing I used my car only once a week. It is a 2 seconds screech at start up and the car is fine the rest of the day.

It makes me wonder if it has something to do with the way I turn the key with my arthritis hand.
    Is it possible to damage something by turning the key too far or too hard ? Or it is just not possible because they are designed to turn so far and then stop resulting in a controlled start no matter how you turn it ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    I will try to record the noise but it is not easy because it does not happen every day nor at each start up. Last year, it occurred 5 times knowing I used my car only once a week. It is a 2 seconds screech at start up and the car is fine the rest of the day.
    My drive belt screeches at start up sometimes. I really do think this is your issue, too. I just ignore it. It doesn't happen all the time, & the sound doesn't last more than a second. I've owned my 2017 Mirage for more than 5 years now (72,000+ miles), and I haven't done anything to correct this. I don't really want an over tightened belt, because I feel a very tight belt is harder on the pulleys/bearings. I am hoping my replacement belt will be of better quality, & this screech at times will disappear.

As long as my alternator, A/C, & whatever else are working properly, I am not concerned about a short screech at start up. I plan on changing my factory belt @ 100,000 miles (161,000 km). In the meantime, I have my replacement belt already purchased/stored inside my spare tire. If I guess wrong about the factory belt going 100,000 miles with ease, I have my plan B at hand.

When I change my factory belt, I will keep it as an emergency spare item, too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Charlot (12-06-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would suspect a loose drive belt, too. If so, an easy fix!
    If it is a loose belt a real easy way to check is to turn your headlights on for 5 or 10 minutes before you start your car. This would put a small drain on the battery that the alternator would try to charge back up and put a load on the belt as soon as you start. If you try that and it screeches about every time you do, then I would guess it's a loose belt too.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Charlot (12-06-2022),Mark (12-05-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Is it possible to damage something by turning the key too far or too hard ? Or it is just not possible because they are designed to turn so far and then stop resulting in a controlled start no matter how you turn it ?
    Charlot - I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with your hand or method of a 2 stage key turn. I say this because for the last 100 years I've owned a 2000 Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel. On that vehicle, once the key is turned to the ON position, a light comes on the dash that says, "Wait to Start." During that time the heater grid is heating up. Anyway, owning that truck for the last 100 years, my method is much the same as yours due to the 'Wait to Start' habit. In the Mirage I turn it to ON, then I adjust hvac settings to where I'm going to want them, and mess with anything else so that when the engine cranks, I'm totally ready to roll with no distractions. And then I turn the key a 2nd time to start the engine and drive away (I don't idle while adjusting things).

So I turn the key virtually the same way as you. I've not had a screeching noise (yet).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Charlot (12-11-2022)

Country
    Belgium
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just edited my initial post with a youtube video I found that has similar screeching sound at start up to mine. My car screeches 1 second like that when I turn the key and the rest of the day car is fine. Could you please watch the video from minute 1:00 to 1:15 for the sound and let me know your thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by Charlot; 12-12-2022 at 04:18 PM.