Thread: Mirage cranking but not starting

Country
    South Africa
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage cranking but not starting

I have a 2017 mirage keyless, manual.
    Today I started but then it was only cranking but not starting.
    Then I run start it and it worked.

After that, it started again, and then the 4th time it cranked again but did not start.
    My key light was flashing so I replaced my battery in the key fob, but it still did not start so had to run start again.
    Any idea what it could be?
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    This is a good one. I hope you get it solved. But I will add a couple guesses.

Since you can "coast start" it (just what we call it in the states, means, let it roll, in gear, clutch pedal pushed down, ignition in the ON position, then let off the clutch preferably in 2nd, once the car is rolling well), to me that would mean this is NOT a key/immobilizer issue. If it were, I don't even think coast starting would work.

If I were to guess, I would say your battery is strong enough for most things, but might be turning the engine over too slowly to get it to start. And that when you coast started it, your alternator juiced up your battery just enough so that at the next 'start', it could turn the engine fast enough to get it started ... for a crank cycle or two. Not only that, but after coast starting it, later your engine was probably warmer and easier to turn.

So ... if I were to guess, I'd guess your main battery is the issue, and that it is slowly dying. If it is the original battery, then you've done well. 5 to 6 years or so is typical battery life.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I too am thinking possibly battery. I haven't ran into that issue with a Mirage but have with some Nissans in the winter. They'd crank over just fine but the anti-theft light would be on and it wouldn't start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I seem to hear more often of these type of events where the engine turns over, but doesn't crank, on cars with pooooosh-button starters. Not just Mirage (this is the first I have possibly heard of such a case in a Mirage). But, for instance, seems my Lexus LS does similar things. The Lexus has a pooooosh-button start. And not only does it go through 50 million checks the instant the button is poooooshed, but I think the ECU looks for an engine rpm as one of the checks. Such rpm is based on the starter motor turning the engine. If it doesn't see the rpm it expects, it doesn't do something else (I can only guess) like firing fuel injectors. I speculate, but maybe that's what's going on with anjenorden's vehicle.

If you have access to a battery charger, let it charge up overnight, and see if it fires up the next morning. If it does, then that is likely proof that it is a weak battery. That's just a suggestion to *try* before replacing the battery. Charging up a 6 year old battery will only limp it along. Said battery still needs replacement (if in fact that is the root cause). However, if you are on a 5 or 6 year old battery, it wouldn't hurt to just go ahead and replace it in any event.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

How can an engine turn over but not crank?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (12-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had the same problem. Spark plugs were going bad and engine gets flooded at startup. Press the accelerator to the floor when starting. Ironically, this cuts off the fuel during start up. Then change spark plugs. This fixed it for me. I had 85k miles when it occurred.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How can an engine turn over but not crank?
    I've been trying to consider all the different ways of what you might mean. Based on how I would mean when I would say what is quoted, I would mean the starter would turn the engine (crank) over and over, but for several various reasons, it wouldn't fire up and run on its own. I have a feeling you meant something else, as that was too obvious ... I think.