Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear L400 (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mitsubishi
    Delica Space Gear L400
    Black
    4spd automagic

4x4

•  
    Details

Has some weird bmw looking grille from a Taiwan market 2005 Delica

•  

Stock

•  
    Comments: 113 / Views: 57414
    Quote Originally Posted by miniG View Post
    Alright, thanks Fummins! Looked them up and they look the same but will wait until it warms up and keep searching to be sure. Coombs wants $145 + shipping and they list for $24 + shipping at Rock Auto. Going to stop using Coombs any time I can lol...
    Yeah, I haven't had to use any of the import places yet. So far I think the only things I'll have to bite the bullet on are front rotors and a windshield. The windshields are overrated and my front rotors are still good. I'd like to support the guys in BC but they're pricey.

It looks like you have a gaser too, I bought all the parts to do the timing belt, water pump, and reseal the top of the engine, and new front suspension all from Rockauto. Except for front control arm bushings. Saved a ton of beer money going that route!

What part of Alberta are you at? I picked mine up in Calgary and then brought it back to Edmonton. Seems most people want diesel engines in these vans but I didn't want the headaches.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I think I should have just ordered a headlight switch from Coombs. I figured I was saving $20 ordering on from Ebay but I see(doorbell cam) it finally arrived but fedex just tossed a form on the ground and left with my package. I assume they might want some extra duty? The google says I may have to $hit out up to $60-70 for customs fee's based on value and where it came from. Will post how this goes down, if whatever the driver left behind doesn't blow away in the next 3 hrs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Got the lights working last weekend. Had to pay an extra $30 to fedex for customs. Got an alignment done last week. They couldn't get the camber or caster "within" spec. I have the torsion bars cranked up a bit much so that's probably a factor.
    Me thinks the transmission is half effed. The shatty shifts to 4th isn't getting any better. So I just drive around with the o/d off until on the highway then let off the throttle to let it shift. It's a semi-automatic.

I replaced the horns. It looks like it'll be the third or fourth set of horns this thing has had. There were 2 in what I think are the factory locations then another two rusted away with a spade to bullet jumper harness. I went with these cheapo WOLO horns(affiliate link cause I need beer money). They were under $20 when I ordered them but now they're $60... Like a normal import horn but 2-3 times louder.
    I also replaced the front speakers finally. Went the cheap route again...cheapo Pyle speakers. They are better than blown-up speakers so good enough for me.

Got into a disagreement with the wife the other night so figured what better time to test out sleeping in the van. Tossed in the queen-sized air mattress and all was good. Then woke up at 5am and the mattress was flat. Better to find out now than later. I realized that I couldn't live in a van down by the river. Or at least not yet...

I didn't use the diesel heater cause it was parked in the garage...I plumbed the heater and slapped a battery behind to front seat(temporary). Got it working. Decided to just slap a 5L tank on the inner step at the sliding door. It fits snugly there and I installed a quick-release fitting with a check valve in each end so I can remove the fuel tank when not camping easily enough. But when I went to remove it after a few days it blew the guts out of the one valve. The o-rings swelled up, I guess it's not made for diesel. Might have to go with a couple of ball valves. The reason for wanting a valve is that it can a pita to bleed the air out of the fuel lines after disconnecting them, and I don't want diesel leaking inside the van. Ideally, I'd have an external permanent tank mounted but I don't. Maybe even a boat fuel tank fitting may work?

I'll completely ignore the transmission problem and pretend it's fine.
    Next up, try to come up with a center console. Might make one from plywood, then make sure it's crooked and full of splinters. I'd also like a big ol solar panel on the roof but I'd tear it off pulling into my garage. So I think the next logical step is to move to a place that has a bigger garage and land to hoard(and hide) more poor purchases.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (01-30-2024),inuvik (01-30-2024),Wil B (01-31-2024)

Got the bill for the parts I got for Oil change(5L 5w30 syn blend, wix 51334), Air filter-Wix 46057, Pulley(tensioner pulley for alternator I think) Dayco 89538, Belt(inner?)-gates k050446,Thermostat 302-180, and some misc hose and clamps.
    Came to $170 for that^ stuff.
    I'll have to add everything up again one of these days.
    The horns and speakers were $50.
    Alignment $130.
    I'm gonna use the van to pick up a new-to-us dog tonight. It'll be a couple-hour round trip. I really should have replaced the obnoxiously droning exhaust by now. And I gotta see why the drivers door speaker that I just replaced quit working.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-31-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 963 Posts
    Darn! We missed an opportunity. You should have taken it to a local dragstrip shortly after you brought it home. And then took it to the dragstrip once done with all your refurbishments. It would have been interesting data. I spose that kind of data can now be generated via apps on smartphones. But I doubt they are as accurate and thusly comparable in a before and after sense.

Now I'm not saying it's a dragster, or that it's fast (or slow). But dragstrip data is very interesting useable data.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Darn! We missed an opportunity. You should have taken it to a local dragstrip shortly after you brought it home. And then took it to the dragstrip once done with all your refurbishments. It would have been interesting data. I spose that kind of data can now be generated via apps on smartphones. But I doubt they are as accurate and thusly comparable in a before and after sense.

Now I'm not saying it's a dragster, or that it's fast (or slow). But dragstrip data is very interesting useable data.
    I didn't think of that. Drag strip has been closed for a while(winter). I took a class in but dyno testing though. I figure the biggest gain was replacing the tensioner pulleys(and bearing). I'm pretty confident that increased hp by roughly 0.0001 to 900(at the crank).
    I really should get an app like that though. I'm curious as to which is slower, the car or the van. Van is rated at 185hp and I think it weighs between 4500-5000lb(I keep coming up with conflicting info on that). And the Mirage is roughly 2000lbs?
    At 4500lb the van weighs 24.3lb/hp and the car 27 or 25.6lb/hp, depending on which rating you use(74 or 78 because it does have the has "h/o" newer engine?). Either way, they're still both slow. Truck is heavier yet but I think it's quicker. Will have to run all 3 in Mexico one day?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Garsh - I had failed to realize I owned one of the H.O. units. Do you guys remember ... maybe I'm remembering this right, but seems like either in the late 80's or early 90's, the 5.0 Moustangs used to come with a "5.0L H.O." emblem. Or something like that. We need a "1.2L H.O." emblem for the Mirage.

Anywho - I did manage to drag strip run my Plymouth Scamp when I first brought it into the fleet. Between then and now, I've "tuned" and replaced stuff, like a rotting exhaust with header, X-Pipe, quality exhaust and the latest drag strip slips says I have gained 65 hp to the rear tires. That is based on the best trap speed the previous owner ever ran (he ran better times/speeds than I could get the car to run when I got the car), versus the best trap speed I have run since I've done my tuning. It is quite interesting info.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

It seems that ignoring the transmission problem worked out great. It's been shifting great for the last week. Either it just needed a long time to relearn how to shift for some weird reason or it's just running great before it dies. I'll have to post that warning sticker under the hood that somewhat states to let it run for a certain amount of time, then drive it for an hour or two to let it learn how to shift after having the battery disconnected(it's in Japanese though).

The diesel heater works well. I rigged up a cig outlet to the rv battery which is also wired to the heater. I have a gender bender cord that I plug into the cig outlet and into the rv battery cig outlet to kinda hopefully trickle charge it. I expect the old crappy rv battery I have to last at least two nights running the heater if fully charged. Ideally, it should last longer than that. I can't remember how much fuel it uses. I only have a little 5L tank plumbed in. Should be good for a night or two depending on the settings. Can run it at a set fan speed/pump flow rate or use a thermostat that bumps up the heat and drops back to idle as needed. I was hoping to try it in -40 but the headlight switch buggered up. The plan is to try it out tonight but it'll be only -16c/-11f. Got a new crappy queen-sized air mattress to replace the old crappy air mattress.

Fuel economy isn't so great. I figure it's about the same as what I get in the truck(Big stinky 8000lb 05 Dodge dually 4x4). My last fill-up was 16.3 mpg, previous was 16.9mpg. I was getting 18mpg in October when it was still warm.

I'd like to get a dash cam or mount the one I already have, an older Viofo A119. The wipers don't sweep the upper center of the windshield, the ideal spot for a dash cam...Will have to work around that.

As of now the only other things I might do to this thing is build a center console and better/slightly bigger tires still. A winch would be nice too, I may look into fabing something up one year. Maybe slap a thin flexible solar panel on the roof and call it done. As for all the fixing goes, I think it's good for now. I might replace a leaky oring for the rear ac but if it's a separate system from the front ac I probably won't even bother.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your Delica sounds like it may be fun for a while right at the beginning. Then you may find yourself back in the daily beater for the ease of driving / parking / fueling. If you can get past the feeling of having something like that stored in your garage, I'm betting there will be a time when you will be wanting / needing it frequently. And there it will be. Gotta convince yourself (in the future) to not sell it just because it has just been sitting for a while. It sounds like it would be an excellent doomsday / zombie apocalypse vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Your Delica sounds like it may be fun for a while right at the beginning. Then you may find yourself back in the daily beater for the ease of driving / parking / fueling. If you can get past the feeling of having something like that stored in your garage, I'm betting there will be a time when you will be wanting / needing it frequently. And there it will be. Gotta convince yourself (in the future) to not sell it just because it has just been sitting for a while. It sounds like it would be an excellent doomsday / zombie apocalypse vehicle.
    It's really not as big as it looks. It takes up the same footprint as a new Toyota Corolla. But it's almost 7' tall. The only reason I'd go back to driving the car is to save money at the pump. And to save wear on the van I guess. It is 22 years old. But it is a beater, I think I'm only into it for a little over $6000cad/$4500usd. I wouldn't store a vehicle in my garage. The wife and I park inside during the winter and in the summer I usually have a side-by-side in one half and junk piled up in the other.

I got one step closer to that getting an acreage. Got 2 big ass dogs for some stupid reason now and have a smallish yard so....Now we "need" an acreage for the mini house horses.