Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002 Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear L400 (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mitsubishi
    Delica Space Gear L400
    Black
    4spd automagic

4x4

•  
    Details

Has some weird bmw looking grille from a Taiwan market 2005 Delica

•  

Stock

•  
    Comments: 133 / Views: 65414
    Sept ---Bought Sept 16 with 183xxxkms. Trailered home.
    So far could use valve cover gaskets,front cam seals and the timing belt should be replaced before too long. Seems to drive well enough for a 5000lb brick with 185hp.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-22-2023)

183334km Replace rear brakes

There was a noise coming from the rear wheels when backing up. I assumed it was the wear indicators on the rear pads. I found the oem part number and it cross-referenced to the same as a 1992-2000 Montero(non-sport). I pulled a back wheel off and the rotor was rusted from the pad not contacting it properly. I pulled the caliper off to confirm the pads I bought were correct and they were slightly different. Oh, and one of the caliper mount bolts broke off inside the caliper mount bracket so that was cool. These new pads were shapped slightly different, they fit in the bracket but the material surface area was larger.
    So now I couldn't drive the thing with a broken caliper bolt so I took the Mirage to work the next day hoping to be able to source a some rotors and calipers(cause the other side will likely break off the same way). There were rotors on the shelf at work oddly enough and I got a couple reman calipers(with brackets) in town so that was great. I tried fitting the new pads into the "new" calipers using the new brake hardware provided with the calipers (it didn't come with the new cheap pads), and one caliper came with hardware that was wrong...It was shaped correctly but was about 1/4" off in one direction. I often end up finding flaws or defective new parts...So I could either send the one caliper back and hope they can get another one with the correct hardware or just reuse the old clips for one side. I choose the later. The brakes were replaced once already so the hardware was in ok shape.

So Friday evening I went to replace the calipers. The rubber hose threads into the caliper and has a flared end that seals so it doesn't use a banjo bolt and crush washers. I don't get out much and have never seen this before. It was kinda hoky having to rotate the caliper to get it threaded onto the hose. The fitting on the hose was solid and didn't rotate(if that makes any sense). Then i went to install the caliper and the upper bolt wouldn't fit. The fitting on the new caliper was slightly offset and points towards the upper mount bolt. So I had to remove the hose, install the upper mount bolt into the caliper first then spin the caliper onto the hose.The factory caliper had the hose fitting angled just a little bit differently so you could remove the bolt upper bolt without swearing. The rh side was even worse because theres a big track bar bracket(from frame to diff) that's in the way so I had to install the new pads onto the caliper bracket then bolt the caliper to the bracket and twist the assembly onto the brake hose as one unit. Pita but doable.
    I haven't had to do much else so far. The power running board for the rear sliding door passengers never worked but did make some noise. I lubed all the pivot points that I could find and helped it in and out about 48 times and now it'll pop out on it's own when you open the slider but won't go back in on it's own without help. I don't feel like tearing that all apart so I'll just turn that function back off for now.
    The rear tires are pretty worn out on the insides so that's a bonus...I assume the previous owner rotated them from the front so I may need some front end work? Everything seemed tight when I jacked it up and wiggled away though...
    The rear springs are kinda sagged out so it looks a bit like a fugly squated truck. I was thinking of replacing the springs or maybe back off the front torsion bars to level it out a little but I may just stuff some airbags inside the coils and call it fixed. I tried pulling it into my garage for the first time last night and it just barely fits. There was an inch or so to spare. There goes my plans to install a 2" lift. At least if I plan to daily this in the winter, which I do plan on doing.

I'm going to try and keep a tally on how much I pour into this thing. My cost isn't very special compared to online retailers but the convenience is nice.

I'll haven't gotten my bill yet but I think the rear brakes are going to cost me around $250.
    I'll need/want a set of tires after checking the front end out a little more.
    Could use a windshield but the one I found a place in the Vancouver area that stocks them. But they want $380 for the glass and $500 to put it into a crate plus shipping costs...

I like to drive with the lights on to avoid getting pulled over for not having DRL(it happened to a 1992 Mazda driver at work a few years ago)but when the park or headlights are on the temp control display(fancy auto controls) is dimmed way too much that it's impossible to read in the day. I can't find a dimmer switch for the instrument lights anywhere! There's no dial, no push button, or convoluted procedure using the trip button that I could figure out. Weird.

Otherwise, I really like this van! It handles like it looks, tall, narrow, tipsy feeling, and slow but it does ride nice. Being able to see over and through most vehicles ahead is handy. I think I sit higher in this thing than in my 4x4 1 ton truck? Or maybe it just feels like it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-24-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Hey Fummins - A few questions & comments.
    • Is it a law in Canadia that every driven car has to run lights? I would not like that. Seems like they'd grandfather older cars without DRLs to be able to not have to run their lights.
    • The interior of that Delica looks really great.
    • My first car was a Celica, I think of that car every time I hear Delica.
    • I saw you said it has 4WD. Does is have a creepy crawly 4WL range? That's going to be super handy when you take it outback camping.
    • I don't know how you might choose to accomplish this, and I'm certain you will or are in the process of doing, but make sure that the cooling system is up to crawling along, working but not moving swiftly.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 09-26-2023 at 03:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Hey Fummins - A few questions & comments.
    • Is it a law in Canadia that every driven car has to run lights? I would not like that. Seems like they'd grandfather older cars without DRLs to be able to not have to run their lights.
    • The interior of that Delica looks really great.
    • My first car was a Celica, I think of that car every time I hear Delica.
    • I saw you said it has 4WD. Does is have a creepy crawly 4WL range? That's going to be super handy when you take it outback camping.
    No, every car doesn't require DRL. Afaik, they weren't mandated until 89 or 90'. I believe if you import a vehicle that year or newer you might have to rig up a drl setup to pass an out of country inspection. I had a 94 Firebird that the previous owner bought in Florida and imported here. He just ran a wire from the ignition to the headlight wire and that was good enough to pass. He removed it after that cause it was kinda dumb with the flip up headlights on during the day...I'm thinking either someone did the same thing to this van or the inspector didn't care.

Yeah it is pretty clean. There's a little bit of wear on the drivers seat but otherwise, it's in great shape inside. There's more to the seats too. It's one of the neatest features. They all fold down "flat" once the headrests are removed. Can supposedly put a queen-sized pad or air mattress on top or just sleep on the seats themselves but they're not really flat. Even the front seats fold to match the same height as the rears. Then... the third-row seats fold flat against the side walls so you can haul more junk around, I fit two lawnmowers sideways(side by side) behind the middle-row seat. So it's relatively versatile. I do plan to stuff some airbags into the rear coil springs though to raise or hopefully get rid of some of the 'dog taking a dump or f-ing a football' look.

The outside has been repainted at one time, it looks better from far away.

And yes, it's got an actual t-case like a Montero I belive? Or not? It's just like a normal truck. The transmission is mounted behind the engine and a transfer case is bolted to the back of the trans. It's got 2hi(rwd),4hi(awd),4hi loc(4wd) and 4Low. It's similar to an 89+ Chevy truck with a disconnect in the front diff and the front cv axles are spinning all the time(like a fwd car). But I haven't looked at it close and don't know if it's got a vacuum or electric actuator.

It's a screamer on the highway around 3000rpm at 65mph. 4.89 is not awesome for the highway. Slightly taller tires may help or might just increase load(more rotating mass) etc...Some claim worse fuel economy with taller tires. 225/80r15 came stock and this has slightly shorter 235/75r15s on it now.

I used to worry about passing in a rhd but no more. It's way too slow to pass anything for the most part so that's not going to be an issue. If it was quicker passing shouldn't be an issue unless I'm stuck behind a semi. The visibility is great in this thing and can see through most pickups and often right over top of most other vehicles. The weird smoker vents are kind of in the way sometimes and I gotta duck to see under the dark tinted drivers side one once in a while but it's nice to block the sun.

Oh, I replaced a rubber transmission line last night from the metal trans line to the cooler in the bottom of the radiator. For future reference- used 3/8" id transmission hose. I'd post on a Delica forum but so far most questions are answered to just buy from a guy that sells Delica and other RHD stuff in Vancouver. Rather than post what N/A market vehicle parts will work for these vans they just try to get you to buy from them and they seem to have quite the following(or multiple usernames?) For example, here's US company that's selling a timing belt kit https://www.delicausa.com/product/l4...nd-water-pump/ They're asking $348 and rockauto wants $157 for the exact same kit. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nent+kit,16088 This seems to be common practice.
    Everyone's gotta make a buck I guess. If you aren't good with the google you'll pay more than double for a lot of things.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-26-2023),MetroMPG (12-05-2023)

Wait, there's more! I just discovered that if you press the unlock button twice(on the key)and hold it down the windows roll down and they roll up with the lock button held. The range isn't very far and it's a pretty pointless feature that I'm sure a lot of vehicles have(I just tried it on a 14 Murano and it worked)but I'm easily impressed!
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-27-2023 at 11:31 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wait, there's more! I just discovered that if you press the unlock button twice and hold it down the windows roll down and they roll up with the lock button held. The range isn't very far and it's a pretty pointless feature that I'm sure a lot of vehicles have(I just tried it on a 14 Murano and it worked)but I'm easily impressed!
    Is this done using the remote key fob or the door switch?

I just did a quick search of this and other cars do stuff too. I'll have to try it on my cars.

This might need it's own thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Is this done using the remote key fob or the door switch?

I just did a quick search of this and other cars do stuff too. I'll have to try it on my cars.

This might need it's own thread.
    I edited the post so it makes slightly more sense. pressed the buttons on the key head. I seem to recall a vw commercial showing a similar feature few decades or more ago. But I think you had to put the key in the lock cylinder and turn?
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-27-2023 at 12:26 PM.

I got plates for the van yesterday so now I'm mostly legit. Just have to get a safety inspection to keep my insurance provider happy cause it's over 12 years old.

I got my bill for the rear brakes and trans hose

-Brake pad Set: MGD567C $29
    -Rear rotors(2): 96478R $122 for the pair
    -Caliper lh rear: 99-0122B $60 + $40 core(still have to return)
    -Caliper rh rear: 99-0122A $60 + $40 core "
    -Trans hose 3/8":27057 $14
    -Hose clamps(4):HS8 $3

Total: $382-$80core+tax=$380ish.

I ordered some airbag springs similar to the style guys use in the Mirages. I'm hoping to life the back end a little when loaded down yet still be able to fit into the garage. After a bunch of research I found most folks on the mostly american Delica forum seem to use Airlift #60769 which is designed for coil sprung Suburbans/Avalanche etc... and the Airlift #61792 made for 97-02 Expedition.

Being cheap, I decided to try and compare the firestone equivelent then compare prices along with specs. I couldn't find any specs on airlifts website, maybe I wasn't looking in the right place? I was able to find most of what I was looking for on the firstone online catalog. In the end I found the kit for the suburban came with bags that were 2-3" shorter than the kit for the expedition. I couldn't find anyone who actually used either firestone kit but there were many who bought kits with firestone bags in them from company's selling them as "for an l400 Delica" then charging twice as much for them. Then I ended up on a Russian delica site and found a couple posts mentioning folks using the expedition firestone kit(4134) instead of the airlift ones. The cheapest kit I could find ended up being that firestone kit so it's on the way. I ended up getting this for $160 https://amzn.to/46s6zkw from a third party seller.

Then....I'm going to order up a cheap but somewhat brand name remote start. I found this one, that should work https://amzn.to/3EYJquw

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-30-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    I got my bill for the rear brakes and trans hose
    I went out on a date with a chick one time. After I paid the bill, she showed me her trans hose. I decided I didn't want any rear brakes so I ended it right there and said goodbye to him.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-29-2023),twister77 (09-29-2023)