Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avg mpg after 73k miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Avg mpg after 73k miles

I just joined the forums tonight, been looking around and found out that there is a trip B for avg gas mileage. I never even knew about this until now, so that could only mean one thing. The avg mpg trip B has never been reset after 73,236 miles in my 2017 SE. Attached a picture below after I ran out to my car to check. I'm honestly not really surprised with it being 36mpg considering I have driven across the US 3 times with a big load, "track day" is every other week and my other family members that used this car did not hyper mile like I do. Maybe since im the only one driving it now I'll see how many miles of hypermiling I can do to make it go up a little. Not sure how to add pictures but I added it to attachments.

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (03-27-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!

My 1.0L manual transmission model gets around 3.9 L/100km in summer (60mpg/US) and around 4.3L/100km (55mpg/US) in winter, without really much effort. I'm not any slower than usual traffic.

In the cooler season the grille is 100% blocked, so the car reaches operating temperature earlier and therefore saves fuel. You may want to look up "grill block" in this forum.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    OF - I don't KNOW this, but having been a design engineer in automotive (Toyota & Hyundai-Kia), I seriously doubt that B economy tracks much more than about the last 5,000 miles. I could be wrong. But I seriously doubt that 36 mpg is from the cars birth.

Welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I think it was common to think the trip B was lifetime mpg(myself included). But I'm with 7milesout and think it's a rolling average of the last 'so many miles. My trip B average is typically pretty close to the lifetime average that I track on fuelly, so there is that....
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    @7milesout: Why do you think that? An average for the last 5000 miles is harder to implement than a lifetime (or since last reset) average. In the latter case you only have to add up kilometers and liters and divide that on each other. In the first case you somehow have to know what happened 5000 miles ago to be able to subtract that from the numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

I don't know for sure either.... I have seen the trip B" average change significantly between fill-ups without being manually reset. That's when I started to question that the B average is actually the lifetime of the car. The manual is pretty vague and just says the Trip B is manually reset or will reset if the battery is disconnected.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess I will go find out out of curiosity, I mean it would make sense that it would reset after a battery disconnect. This is my first time even knowing about the the second trip B so I guess I was some what assuming. I'll for sure be having an eye on it for now on. Might take some time but I'm going to try to figure out how it works.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-09-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

My 1.0L manual transmission model gets around 3.9 L/100km in summer (60mpg/US) and around 4.3L/100km (55mpg/US) in winter, without really much effort. I'm not any slower than usual traffic.

In the cooler season the grille is 100% blocked, so the car reaches operating temperature earlier and therefore saves fuel. You may want to look up "grill block" in this forum.
    That is very impressive, I have the cvt model (unfortunately) might be a little bit of a limitation but it's not terrible paired with some fuel efficient driving. Highest I can really achieve right now in winter is around 42 and 43mpg, not bad since I don't even have the intake resonator on. Seen some hot air intake mods before, seems like something I might try to pull off with some things at my local hardware store.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OrganicFoxes For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-10-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    I just joined the forums tonight, been looking around and found out that there is a trip B for avg gas mileage. I never even knew about this until now, so that could only mean one thing. The avg mpg trip B has never been reset after 73,236 miles in my 2017 SE. Attached a picture below after I ran out to my car to check. I'm honestly not really surprised with it being 36mpg considering I have driven across the US 3 times with a big load, "track day" is every other week and my other family members that used this car did not hyper mile like I do. Maybe since im the only one driving it now I'll see how many miles of hypermiling I can do to make it go up a little. Not sure how to add pictures but I added it to attachments.
    36 combined is respectable, especially if you got a lead foot like me.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    One night during lockdowns I was bored, went out for a drive with snows on and clocked 26km/l which is 71-72mpg. I've never repeated that.

As for other cars, a rental Versa Note hatch with a CVT did 48mpg over 1200 lead foot miles. I was amazed at the mileage.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-12-2022)