Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: changing rims offset question

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just curious - What size tires are you using on your new 13" rims?

For those newer to the site, 13" rims don't fit on a 2017+ Mirage due to the larger front brake rotors.
    Im using 175 70 13

I have no rubbing issues because i swapped my coil springs before with a Suzuki Swift springs and until now i havent got any problems.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...t-rear-springs

Last edited by mitsumi; 12-29-2022 at 09:52 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Name:  Tire Comparison.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  92.9 KB

Just comparing my old VX with this TX Monsterims.

The Monsterims looks thinner or thicker and smaller in diameter but I am using the same tire specs 175/70/13.
    But maybe because the rims is 13x6 vs the VX that is 13x5 so the tires is a bit stretched if im correct?

I just forgot to weigh in on the new Rims to compare it to the VX I believe VX is 9 pounds per
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...e-entry)/page3

Honda Civic VX 13” Aluminum Wheel
    - 9 lbs per wheel. No Tires.
    - 13x5

I am just monitoring the thread wear, since from my VX wheels I haven't got any issues and the tire wear was even from back and front since 2018
    Last edited by mitsumi; 12-30-2022 at 03:44 AM. Reason: picture now showing

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Pushing the wheel out would likely have a "poke" stance. I'm personally not a fan of wheels/tires poking out of the wheel well, but to each his own.
    Will there be something like a difference of weight distribution to the tires, shocks etc? will there be any concerns when using a negative offset instead of the normal offset?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Name:  offset.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  61.7 KB

just showing the Rims specs from the back.
    Last edited by mitsumi; 12-30-2022 at 03:45 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Will there be something like a difference of weight distribution to the tires, shocks etc? will there be any concerns when using a negative offset instead of the normal offset?
    ANY change to the stock specs will affect the car/parts negatively. The engineers who know maths built the rest of the suspension/steering parts with the stock wheel/tire specs in mind.

Case in point: I've had to replace the ball joint (LCA) sooner than (i believe) most people on here because of the wheels/tires I've been using. But I'd pay that price for both the better look and better performance that I get with my aftermarket wheels and tires.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (12-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A possible concern could be shortened front wheel bearing life. The front wheel bearing on the Mirage consists of two ball bearings sandwiched together into a single outer race. In the standard configuration the offset of the wheels places the centerline of the wheels directly in the middle of the two ball bearings so that each ball bearing is carrying half the load on the front wheel. With the negative 6mm offset wheels it places the centerline of the wheel 52mm outwards from the middle of the two ball bearings. In effect the outermost ball bearing is carrying probably all of the load on the wheel and the inside bearing carrying hardly any or possibly even a negative load (upward instead of downward). Actually, it will place the centerline of the wheel about 34mm outside of the wheel bearing assembly, instead of in the middle of it. I'm certainly not saying it won't work, and it will surely look pretty cool, but this doesn't really bode well for the life of the bearings.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Im using 175 70 13

I have no rubbing issues because i swapped my coil springs before with a Suzuki Swift springs and until now i havent got any problems.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...t-rear-springs
    175/70r13 tires (22.6" outside diameter) wouldn't be an issue with any 2014-15 Mirage, because it's really no different than a factory 175/55r15 (22.6" outside diameter) tire. The overall wheels are basically the same size. One has more rim and the other has more tire/rubber. Their diameter & width are the same!

175/70r13 tires would be an issue for a 2017+ Mirage, because the 13" rims wouldn't fit over the larger brakes/rotors.

Last edited by Mark; 12-31-2022 at 10:05 AM.