Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fog lamps power issue?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Fog lamps power issue?

Hey all, new to this site. Just bought a brand new mirage es 5mt. I noticed the fog lights don't come on when I turn the switch on the signal lever. I read the owners manual and pretty much what I thought it says fog lamps can only be turned on while low beam headlights are on. Ok that's good...but my fog lamps only come on when the daytime running lights are on??? Then when I turn the normal low beam headlights on...the fog lights turn off...and the fog light indicator also does not come on in the dash cluster??? What is happening here???...before I take it back to the dealer I figured I'd check with you guys. Thanks for any input. Cheers

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Does the fog light indicator ever come on in the dash cluster?

On some model years & trims the fog lights work as the DRL, they automatically turn on when the car is in drive and turn off when headlights turn on. Having the fog light switch does not mean that you have fog lights installed. I have the switch in my mirage and no fog lights at all.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Does the fog light indicator ever come on in the dash cluster?

On some model years & trims the fog lights work as the DRL, they automatically turn on when the car is in drive and turn off when headlights turn on. Having the fog light switch does not mean that you have fog lights installed. I have the switch in my mirage and no fog lights at all.
    Likewise in the States - All Mirage ES models come with a fog light switch, but no fog lights. Day running lights are not mandatory here, & our ES models don't come with any lights in the the fog light spot. My ES has a chunk of black plastic for fog lights, & that's it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sory, you don't have fog lights. This has been discussed many times in the past. They are in fact Daytime Running Lights & are supposed to turn off when you turn on the headlights. In Canada, you have to move up to the GT to get fog lights. Others have installed them & had them enabled after.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-15-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That seems a bit insane to me lol. Fog lights are installed, switch is there, but they can't be used!!!!????? Only as drl??? And the headlights have an integral drl bulb already. I don't get it. I wonder what's involved with getting them to actually work with the switch.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando86 View Post
    That seems a bit insane to me lol. Fog lights are installed, switch is there, but they can't be used!!!!????? Only as drl??? And the headlights have an integral drl bulb already. I don't get it. I wonder what's involved with getting them to actually work with the switch.
    Fog lights aren't installed. Look close @ your "" Fog Lights"". Do you see 2 bulbs in them?? A regular incandescent bulb installed vertical in front of a Halogen bulb installed horizontally from the back??? If not, you do not have fog lights. The Canadian Mitsubishi site details this. You need a GT to get the fog lights. I know you have the switch, but no fog lights. You can install them. Search this site. There is eleventeen hundred posts about this,.. Sorry...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey, good news, got the fog lights working!!!! Everything I did was with the motor running, shutting the door 5 times etc. Then I tried the same routine only with the motor off, then I got the beeps and the fog light indicator on the dash lit up. Now the switch on the turn signal lever works. It's all good now thanks to this site!!! Cheers

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brando86 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-12-2022),Fummins (12-15-2022),inuvik (12-13-2022),klroger (12-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando86 View Post
    Hey, good news, got the fog lights working!!!! Everything I did was with the motor running, shutting the door 5 times etc. Then I tried the same routine only with the motor off, then I got the beeps and the fog light indicator on the dash lit up. Now the switch on the turn signal lever works. It's all good now thanks to this site!!! Cheers
    This belongs in the quirks and oddities thread.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    This belongs in the quirks and oddities thread.
    I wonder if its just the light in the dash works? I can't imagine they provided fog light BULBS on the non GT trim in canada. only the GT trim here has front fog lights.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My car, is an ES. But the dealer told me that fog light housings are an option that came on some models. They called the base models that for what ever reason had a extra few basic options a "ES PLUS". My car had the fog lights, but the bulbs original to the car were very low wattage bulbs almost like an 1156, just good enough for drl. The wire harness that ran down to the fog light area had the h16 halogen fog light socket available taped up on both sides. Plugged the new bulbs in, reset the computer, and sha bango...good to go. I just ordered some super bright led replacements so im excited to get those installed.