Thread: Early Christmas to me

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Early Christmas to me

I found a stash of Mirage parts while cleaning house.

I found all sorts of goodies, air filters, serp belts, cabin filters, led lighting kits, oil filters, wipers, lots of LEDs from small like side markers to, for some bizarre reason, 3 full sets of LED headlights, mid range. And 2 Katz cartridge block heaters. I also found 2 rear sets of shoes, 2 drums and 1 front set of pads and 2 rotors. Guess I was thinking of doing brakes!!! lol. What I did NOT find were Fumoto valves. I was sure I bought 2. Now they are nearly $60 EACH on Amazon but still $26US at the Fumoto site. Anyhow, I bought a clone F106 for $22 from Amazon. I would have bought 2 but...they only had one.

So I went on Amazon to track down when I bought this stuff. Hmmm, late fall of 2019, the year I spent the entire summer in an induced coma and to this day nobody can explain why and what happened to me. Anyhow, I know I went on a buying binge after the stay and yet the medical peeps tell me I don't have any neurological effects from the coma.

What's kinda weird is Amazon doesn't reflect what I bought. It tells me I bought only 2 mid range LED headlamp sets BUT there are 3 boxes of headlamps in the pile and it appears I bought some high end headlamps with convective cooling. This might be the set I installed in my '17 that fall. Why I bought/have 3 more sets with only 1 spare Mirage is a mystery. Maybe I thought spares were a good idea.

Anyhow, I need to figure out what the Katz cartridge heaters are worth these days and sell them. If I haven't installed them by now nor needed them it's a good bet I can live without them.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Anyhow, I need to figure out what the Katz cartridge heaters are worth these days and sell them. If I haven't installed them by now nor needed them it's a good bet I can live without them.
    This is the story you told us 5 years ago -

"As I live in the Falls and Napa Canada doesn't stock the block heater I plan on making a run to Napa in the US Falls to get my heater.

I don't mind picking up maybe 2 or 3 more for Canadians who want one but can't find it locally for a reasonable price. It's going to be about $35 US plus whatever exchange I get hit with on my CC plus shipping to where you live.

I can take EMT but not paypal." December 8, 2017

I paid $27.79 with free shipping for mine (January 2019), but they would cost twice that much today. Everything seems twice as much these days! Seriously! I could have bought 2 brand new Mirages five years ago for the price of one new Mirage today.

My memory is not that great. I noticed your post on the engine block heater thread -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...le-400w)/page2

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Haha! I vaguely remember the 2017 thread, I had recently picked my 2017 up and was busy outfitting it for the coming winter, Weathertech, winter wipers, snowtires, etc. I was annoyed at Napa Canada and happy I lived by the border. I do remember a Rock Auto order that came to my US mailbox, it was the air filters/serp belts/drum/rear shoes/. I also found a packing slip in the box from Katz so I guess I ordered directly from them. I have no recall what I paid for the Katz but like you suggested, they are probably twice as much now.

I am amazed I just ordered rotors for my 2017 and they are $44/pr. I can't whine about that. The rotors I have are smaller so must be for my 2014. I'm still certain I ordered F106 Fumotos but, oh well, the $22 clone I ordered will have to do.

Don't tell anyone but I discovered 20 jugs of Mobil 1 synth 0-20W in my Saturn. LOL. I do remember buying those as I paid $14.99/jug or less. I can't remember if they are 3.78 or 5 litres. I suspect 3.78. (I checked, 4,73l) @3 changes/year/Mirage I'll burn thru the oil 5-6 years. WHOA! I just checked the current price at my auto store. $70!!! It likely goes on sale but the days of $15 jugs are looong gone.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Haha! I vaguely remember the 2017 thread, I had recently picked my 2017 up and was busy outfitting it for the coming winter, Weathertech, winter wipers, snowtires, etc. I was annoyed at Napa Canada and happy I lived by the border. I do remember a Rock Auto order that came to my US mailbox, it was the air filters/serp belts/drum/rear shoes/. I also found a packing slip in the box from Katz so I guess I ordered directly from them. I have no recall what I paid for the Katz but like you suggested, they are probably twice as much now.

I am amazed I just ordered rotors for my 2017 and they are $44/pr. I can't whine about that. The rotors I have are smaller so must be for my 2014. I'm still certain I ordered F106 Fumotos but, oh well, the $22 clone I ordered will have to do.

Don't tell anyone but I discovered 20 jugs of Mobil 1 synth 0-20W in my Saturn. LOL. I do remember buying those as I paid $14.99/jug or less. I can't remember if they are 3.78 or 5 litres. I suspect 3.78. (I checked, 4,73l) @3 changes/year/Mirage I'll burn thru the oil 5-6 years. WHOA! I just checked the current price at my auto store. $70!!! It likely goes on sale but the days of $15 jugs are looong gone.
    I was quite pleased to find out that my local Auto Zone ($48.59 each) & O'Reilly ($42.99 each) has Mirage rotors in stock most of the time. Rockauto.com does have much cheaper options (starting @ $18.93 each).

Motor oil has really gone up in price, too. Having a good stash of it is awesome!

Maybe you installed your Fumoto oil drain valve already? Wouldn't that be a good laugh! I could see myself doing that. Where are those things, & they are already installed on my car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well I'm changing the oil in a couple days before snow accumulates so it will be funny as hell to find the Fumotos installed!!
    I think I'll install a Katz in my 2017 as I suspect my drives will be short trips. Better to heat the engine/exhaust right up to boil off any condensation and water. I might go for the oil pan heater as well. Or change the oil every 4500km. Or all 3.

I buy my monthly car wash pass next week. $20/mo, daily washes, fresh water (they claim). Is frequent washing better than Krown? a good supplement to Krown? IDK.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Mark (12-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well I'm changing the oil in a couple days before snow accumulates so it will be funny as hell to find the Fumotos installed!!
    I think I'll install a Katz in my 2017 as I suspect my drives will be short trips. Better to heat the engine/exhaust right up to boil off any condensation and water. I might go for the oil pan heater as well. Or change the oil every 4500km. Or all 3.

I buy my monthly car wash pass next week. $20/mo, daily washes, fresh water (they claim). Is frequent washing better than Krown? a good supplement to Krown? IDK.
    it probably isnt a substitute, even with underbody washes, the car is known to rust from water and dirt that is trapped within doors and the rear quarter panels: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...sis-corrosion)
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    it probably isnt a substitute, even with underbody washes, the car is known to rust from water and dirt that is trapped within doors and the rear quarter panels: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...sis-corrosion)
    Yep, rusting in the same places as the low end Hyundai's. I never expected to see that. I mentioned using Evaporust when there is rust oresent. It's the only thins I've ever used that worked to such a degree. It's expensive, $150/4L here in Leafland