Thread: Best 10 year maintenance costs :)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Best 10 year maintenance costs :)

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/1-mitsu...r-maintenance/

Our little Mirages are finally getting some love! This article highlights the low maintenance costs of our cars ♥️

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay123 View Post
    https://www.motorbiscuit.com/1-mitsu...r-maintenance/

Our little Mirages are finally getting some love! This article highlights the low maintenance costs of our cars ♥️
    I bought a Mirage 5 years ago, because White Bear was selling them for $9,000 (as low as $7,500 if you qualified for the loyal, military, & VIP rebates). I paid 65.4% of the window sticker. If I had qualified for the rebates, I would have paid 54.8% of the window sticker for a brand new ES manual.

None of these moron auto publications were signing praises of the Mirage back then, and they should have been!!!!! A highly discounted Mirage was the king of affordable, reliable, & economical transportation in my opinion. Buying a used car seemed silly when you could buy a brand new one for $7,500-9,000.

The article's maintenance cost estimates are nuts, too! In 5 years/73,000+ miles, I have done my own oil changes every 5,000 miles. That's 14 oil changes so far. 3 quarts of Super Tech oil and a Purolator One oil filter may cost about $20 these days (even Super Tech motor oil prices have gone up). 14 oil changes @ $20 a pop is $280 over 5 years. Outside of that, I've done things like wiper blades, change manual transmission fluid once, replaced front brake pads & rotors once, engine air filter twice, buy tires as needed, and a few cheap cabin air filters. After 5+ years of ownership, my Mirage has seen a mechanic once, & that was for a minor air bag recall issue. I realize not everyone is going to do their own vehicle maintenance, but the Mirage is easy to work on.

I don't see myself having a car payment for 10-15 years, because of my Mirage. As I pile miles on my Mirage, it's extending the life of my older Forester (which I would also like to keep as long as possible). I don't think a Mirage is a car that impresses most when taken on a test drive, but it has a charm that grows on you the longer you own it!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-14-2022),inuvik (12-14-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I bought a Mirage 5 years ago, because White Bear was selling them for $9,000 (as low as $7,500 if you qualified for the loyal, military, & VIP rebates). I paid 65.4% of the window sticker. Buying a used car seemed silly when you could buy a brand new one for $7,500-9,000.

The article's maintenance cost estimates are nuts, too!

I don't see myself having a car payment for 10-15 years, because of my Mirage. As I pile miles on my Mirage, it's extending the life of my older Forester (which I would also like to keep as long as possible). I don't think a Mirage is a car that impresses most when taken on a test drive, but it has a charm that grows on you the longer you own it!
    I paid more or less the same on my 2014, my 2017 was slightly higher. In hindsight it was good my 2014 was totalled. **

Since, from what I read, a large proportion of Americans can't come up with the cash for a clunker simply pricing the Mirage <$10k won't do much to drive sales, except to folks like us. If Joesette Consumer is going to have to finance then by God, it's their right as an American to finance the biggest flashiest "I'm a success" wheels they can. The trade publications are guilty of this, they are comped to hype the expensive crap the mfgs. churn out. Ever hear of an all expenses launch junket for an Elantra? Nope. Neither have I. How about a junket to sunny S. Calf for the launch of the newest F150 all luxury model? There will be multiple events.

I'm mystified how the Autozone places stay open? The average US/Can male is not a DIY guy like our fathers were. Our Dad's did because they had to. 1 blue collar salary, family of 5. If you wanted to take the family camping in the summer you couldn't be paying some leather couched establishment $100 to change your oil. Now that same $100 is a drop in the bucket compared to the $3,000/person European vacation to Greece. Besides which fantastic tool stores, like Sears, are no more. Lowes carrying Craftsman isn't the same. Heck just 20 years ago HD sold the quality Husky tools, stuff that was made, I've read, by Snap-On.

Mark, I'm like you. I love being free of a car payment. It's GREAT. It allows me to save up the needed cash when I replace my super reliable ultra low maintenance cost Mirage in 15-20 years time. Part of the freedom comes from doing it myself, which I like because I don't have to do it, I like doing it! I also want to keep the mileage down on my Saturn. Hey, plastic body. Looks good forever. 5MT with a 2.2L in a full size seats 5 in COMFORT ride that gets 35mpg Imp. on the highway and can easily pull 3500lbs. Where am I ever going to find that these days for the $3800 I paid in 2017? Nowhere. Absolutely nowhere. Do I care if my Saturn is now 16 years old? No. I still see Saturns from the 90's looking like NEW on our roads.

** My 2014 was afflicted with the nasty piston slap that plagued folks. I get Mits stood behind the cars and fixed them gratis but I personally wouldn't be 100% confident in that car ever again.

Last edited by Wallythacker; 12-14-2022 at 05:09 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)