Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intesresting insight i got from my dealership (re: smart 1.0 turbo)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh well you guys already found the info i had sorry for taking so long working by day and school at night gives me little time to browse around on internet to sniff out more info. I am due on my first service this week, I will try to get more info out of the Mitsu mechanic see what he can tell me. This is the turbo on the Smart 1.0L.

Name:  $_35.JPG
Views: 693
Size:  18.5 KB

Looks to me like there should be enough space between the firewall and the engine to house that turbo, But then again i don't have the specific sizes for it. I will try to post ( with shorter delays) whatever info i might get from the dealership

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfly600 View Post
    Oh well you guys already found the info i had sorry for taking so long working by day and school at night gives me little time to browse around on internet to sniff out more info. I am due on my first service this week, I will try to get more info out of the Mitsu mechanic see what he can tell me. This is the turbo on the Smart 1.0L.

Name:  $_35.JPG
Views: 693
Size:  18.5 KB

Looks to me like there should be enough space between the firewall and the engine to house that turbo, But then again i don't have the specific sizes for it. I will try to post ( with shorter delays) whatever info i might get from the dealership
    Wouldn't it be mounted behind the radiator since it bolts onto the exhaust manifold?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    Wouldn't it be mounted behind the radiator since it bolts onto the exhaust manifold?
    The exhaust manifold is located at the back of the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gls2001 For This Useful Post:

MirageAsti (03-07-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    3B vs 3A.......maybe manifold diagrams are needed. But yeah. I mean, I knew the Mitsu I came with a 660cc turbo motor (Coupled with an MR layout? Soooooo sick....). But now we're talking about different engine families here. Might be a chance that a small amount of modification to the bolt holes could yield good results (if I remember correctly, this was the case between the 4G9X and 4G6X engine families).

Just verbosely stating: don't get your hopes up. It would be nice but I think at the bare minimum some sort of fabrication will be required.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well it will be like any engine that is standard, can handle 5-8 psi daily, more than that and it will just crap itself from the block. But even low boost like that is awesome fun.
    I would say 5psi daily and 7psi for 'fun runs' would be ideal.

Most NA engines that I've been observing do up to 80k miles on 6psi. 5psi should be an easy 100k miles.

In for more info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for this awesome post, now I can get started on the turbo build. Going to be ordering but first we have to see if a German forum member will take delivery and ship to the US. HMMMMMMM. Other option is to import an entire 1.0l for around $2500 and mod from there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And really all that is need is the turbo, the turbo flange on the manifold. Then you can have a custom manifold made.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
    And really all that is need is the ECU. Everything else can be made.
    correction.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I guess haltech would make a ecu that is compatible with what is needed on the mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I guess haltech would make a ecu that is compatible with what is needed on the mirage
    Either of the Platinum standalones can run 3-cylinder engines. Also if I'm not mistaken, the Mirage has a CANBUS ECU, which Haltech now has as well to run all non-motor functions. But the standalone would require someone to completely come up with a new map from scratch (also, so goodbye to passing emissions testing) and maybe the CANBUS computer will need calibrating as well. I'm still looking into those with my buddy who runs a turbo RX7 and wants to boost his 2008 IS250. If I learn anything, I'll start a new thread dedicated to that alone.