Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lucas oil synthetic oil additive for ticking engine

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fopeano View Post
    We have been using the 072 since they came out. The 105 filter supersedes to the 072, and found that the 105 filters are not available from Mitsubishi.
    I was curious or bored, not sure which?

I googled an OEM oil filter for my 2017 Mirage.

https://www.mitsubishifactoryparts.c...ngine--filters

Mitsubishi Factory Parts lists the 072 for the Mirage (checked both a 2017 & 2021).

https://www.mitsubishipartsonsale.co...ubishi-mirage?

Mitsubishi Parts On Sale lists the 105.

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...90072-1230a105

Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse - lists the 105 has replaced the 072.

I don't buy OEM oil filters. So I must have been bored!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-30-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's good to know there are some dealers with competent staff. That's hard to find out this way. Most of the dealings I've had with various dealers over the years left me wanting to put my head through a windshield.
    You are absolutely right about that. Most dealers don't hire service advisors or even car people. They hire people whose last job was a waiter or they worked at the sunglasses hut in the mall or something like that. Our service people are all car guys who work on their own cars on jobs big and small, and the owner works most days, has a collection of rare Mitsubishis in our showrooms, and sponsors local car shows and such. It's a very rare situation in a dealer.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fopeano For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Fopeano View Post
    You are absolutely right about that. Most dealers don't hire service advisors or even car people. They hire people whose last job was a waiter or they worked at the sunglasses hut in the mall or something like that. Our service people are all car guys who work on their own cars on jobs big and small, and the owner works most days, has a collection of rare Mitsubishis in our showrooms, and sponsors local car shows and such. It's a very rare situation in a dealer.
    Too funny! Sounds like a good place to work.

You'll probably notice that most threads on this forum quickly get derailed so.....Can I pick your brain?

I've got a 2015 in the shop right now. Car wouldn't rev up then engine quit(in the left lane on a busy road). I went to drag the car off the road with a strap and it fired up right as I was pulling up. Drove it into a parking lot and it seemed fine, cel on. Got it back to the shop and pulled P061c(rpm plausability) and P0335(crank sensor). Of course everything seems fine now. I cannot replicate problem, looked over the harness from sensor to firewall, didn't dig under the dash other than behind the kick panel (where there is often corrosion) and it looked fine.

Have you run into an intermittent(or any) faulty crank sensor before on these things? My gut tells me this thing has janky(corrosion) wiring. I'm probably gonna kick it out the door and let it drive and see how it goes, just keep it close to home.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did a little digging at work yesterday, and it's almost surely wiring to the CKP sensor, which is right behind the AC compressor. If P061C sets without there being a more specific code (your P0335), that indicates an ECM failure because It only is supposed to set as a secondary code after a more generic timing code is set. I didn't remember running into this code but I asked around and a tech I work with has a family member with one that was setting a P0335 and sometimes wouldn't start when it was really rainy/humid out. He replaced the crank sensor with a NAPA/Echlin and it didn't change anything. The owner had no interest in pursuing further diagnosis and so we never figured out what was happening with that car.

Conclusion:
    -It's a rare problem
    -The only time we've seen it, a new crank sensor didn't change anything
    -My experience has been that Mitsu sensors and ECMs rarely fail
    -That leaves wiring, which also has proven very reliable. It's probably outside influence like it usually is, which has resulted in corrosion over time like it usually does.
    Mitsu master tech since 2009, German car guy, recently bought a 14 Mirage 5spd with 145k. Youtube Channel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 30.5 mpg (US) ... 13.0 km/L ... 7.7 L/100 km ... 36.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fopeano For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-01-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will stick with just regular oil changes. Yeah for anyone who doesn't know Singer's story it's been ticking ever since I bought it. Not just on startup but all the time. Check out my garage for more details. Long story short I'm just driving it until it blows then we'll go from there. I will return the lucas oil to crappy tire or if I can't I'll sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post
    I will stick with just regular oil changes. Yeah for anyone who doesn't know Singer's story it's been ticking ever since I bought it. Not just on startup but all the time. Check out my garage for more details. Long story short I'm just driving it until it blows then we'll go from there. I will return the lucas oil to crappy tire or if I can't I'll sell it.
    Yeah, I forgot about that. Did you ever post a clip of what it sounds like?

I noticed my previous 2014 was noisy shortly after I bought it and didn't care until I wanted to sell it. I drove it a year with a faint piston slap/rod knock when under light load. It always felt a little down on power compared to most of the fleet Mirages, even the one I bought with 283k km. It felt like a new car once it had a new engine, but it was sold immediately after.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes and here is the link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZaf7...ab_channel=Cam

Sound hasn't changed since then for better or for worse!

For reference, this was my 2014 with 50k km. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Io9r5PRbIFw
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam123 View Post
    My 2014 had the piston slap issue which I did not ID as to me a noisy Mirage was expected. It was my oil use that tipped me off. Anything from 1/2 litre to >1 litre between changes, which were done every 5000km or so, maybe 7500km at first but once I saw it using oil I doubled down on more changes. My engine never got that noisy nor did the oil use increase and the car was destroyed @44,000km so who knows how long it would have lasted?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I remember watching that Fummins way back when I got the car. It's a similar sound to my engine that's for sure. And Wallythacker it's funny, the thing ticks but there is no oil being burned whatsoever. Whenever I check the level is right where it should be!